Moving Motorbike From Chiangmai To Bangkok

lambous

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of moving from Chiangmai to Bangkok and i have a little Yamaha 125 that I would like to transport to Bangkok somehow. I think it is too long a distance to ride such a small bike however I think it would be handy to have in BKK for short trips to the BTS/MRT & 7-11 etc. Anyone know any companies will carry it to Bangkok and how much it would cost. Maybe the train has a freight carriage that transports motorcycles?

Any help as always is greatly appreciated :o

Cheap Bike Transport

I have checked several times on transport of small bike by train and each time was cheaper than by bus. But the train does not go everywhere.

Bus from Udon to Pattaya charges B800 for a 125cc. You need to prep the bike. Take off the mirrors and drain the petrol. For good mesures you might leave the cap off for a few hours and let the remaining fumes evaporate. The company might check for this. It is amazing to see them load. Twice I have seen them take a bike to the front cargo hold and push in with only an inch to spare. Then they put the main kickstand up and push to the front. No straps.

Happy trails

LLL

Are you sure you can take a moto on trains?

I have taken motorbike on a train before.

Is not cheap though.

Also, no ramps to make it easy to get on and off, has to be lifted in.

Maybe big station like chiang Mai and Bangkok, might have ramps.

Are you sure you can take a moto on trains?

this question was answerred positively before you question it again, why you do this so often? Are you family of St Thomas???

I did put my motorbike on the train also, don't remember how much I paid, was not too much, will this suffice?

And why would you need a ramp? Thais have solutions to this, what about a wooden plank? How do you get a motorbike in a pick-up?

Edited by jef

And why would you need a ramp? Thais have solutions to this, what about a wooden plank? How do you get a motorbike in a pick-up?

The ramp (or lack of it ) was mentioned as not everybody has a small, light motorbike.

Do you carry a plank around with you? :o

I transported my Honda Phantom from Bkk to NST and was told I had to travel on the train with it (not literally) - I wasn't able to have somebody pick it up at the other end after loading at Hualomphong!

There were no ramps at all for my "big" (yeah right - 150cc) bike, and I had to pay the porters 50bt tea money for some rope that was used to stow the bike in the freight carriage. At least it wasn't scratched etc for that. Chocks under the wheels too. And at Hualomphong you're not allowed to ride the bike on the platform.

Cost was about 1000bt, plus my train ticket. And at Thung Song Junction, I had to madly run the full length of the train to get the bike off, as the porters had forgotten about it and the train would've pulled off regardless! Again, no ramps.

You should have no problem transporting yours...

Just remembered my mate did the same with a step-through, but didn't notice until a few days later that the porters had whacked one of the metal rims against the carriage as they had lifted it in/out. She kept getting punctures due to the nice dent and had to replace the wheel later. So remember to check your bike over before you leave the railway station!

Edited by Captain Haddock

re damage to the bike in transit.

The fare for the bike is more expensive than your own fare. I was led to believe that insurance is included. I can't say whether this is true or not. Also how good the cover would be, no idea.

Maybe someone else knows for sure?