Good Tailor Chiang Mai

MikeCNX

Hi guys and girls,

I am looking for a GOOD tailor in Chiang Mai for suits and shirts.

I know that there have been other threads about this, but where can I go? I am looking for double egyptian cotton for the shirts and wool(!) for the suits, NO polyester stuffs.

Stores change so hence my reposting of this.

Thanks a lot for the help!

jap.gif

Neramit in Ratchawong road is still streets above the rest. If he does not have the material you want, he will get it in pronto.

I had a suit made from him about three months ago and was not impressed.

His finishing was very sloppy, button holes not straight or in line, inner lining was not put together well and cuffs on the suit looked awful. Plus the material he claimed was 100% egyptian cotton for a shirt and a high quality wool mix for the suit were not, not at all.

The trousers however were well made and the shape of the shirt was ok. The jacket was pretty poor though.

Make sure sure sure to specify you dont want too padded shoulders. If you dont, he will pad them like an airbag as will any Thai tailor

Going back to Uk I wish I had saved my money and bought one off the hanger as they looked nicer, the shape was more fitting funnily enough and the material was so much better.

Thailand is crap for tailors and crap for materials but its cheap.

As for Neramit it is done in house which is good. He's apparently the best of a bad bunch in my opinion and perhaps you'll have better luck than I did.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Any more?

Thanks.

New Valentinos..a few doors down from Kasikorn Bank in Thapae Road..former Ghurka..good guy and does good work in all fabrics. (He has quite a few handwritten feedbacks stuck on his shop front..(but be wary of the tuk-tuk sometimes parked outside who will try to talk you out of going in there).

Edited by rodcourt49

• 9 months later...

Thanks for the replies so far.

Any more?

Thanks.

New Valentinos..a few doors down from Kasikorn Bank in Thapae Road..former Ghurka..good guy and does good work in all fabrics. (He has quite a few handwritten feedbacks stuck on his shop front..(but be wary of the tuk-tuk sometimes parked outside who will try to talk you out of going in there).

After reading that post I've been to New Valentinos in Chiang-Mai this summer;

I had a 'package' with 2 suits, 4 pants and 5 shirts for 20,000bath. No room for bargain it seems...

The guy is very causal; he in the business since 26years+ it seemsand pretends to have worked for famous people.

Since there are many positive reviews on the front of his store and suposely in trip advisor (which I couldn't find) I was confident...

Overall the quality is not so great; cheap buttons and zippers, etc. Not that many fabrics either.

The big problem is that they systematically made the sleeves and trousers too large, they don't know how to cut properly !!! (at least for me...)

At the end, the last days just before leaving chiang-mai, the sleeves of the jackets were still completely disproportionate (this was mentioned at the second fitting).

When discussing the point I have been told that this is the right size for the jacket... (well I hoped it would be the right size for me!)

It's so bad that I can't wear the jacket in fact; I have been told to take to back to chiang-mai to have it fixed... but I guess I'll just throw them away :(

I wouldn't recommand going there honestly!

If you wan to make a suit and pass by Bangkok just do it there!

I can recommand Rajawongse www.dress-for-success.com close to Nana station, 12,000 bath a suit, no bargain.

It's a bit expensive compare to others but this is a real tailor! top of the top...

These guys have been cutting suits for half of the US and UK secret services, army and a lot of officials and even some US presidents...

Their references are outstanding and you get attention to every single detail.

my $0.02

Raja the Great Thief of Bangkok as me and my mate used to call him.

No sorry folks, just an old customer being cruel.

Back in the day when I wore suits I always purchased from Raja.

The twins as we knew them.

Back to the original shop on Suckhumvit for which they own the land.

Top quality suits and I believe genuine English cloth.

Never forget walking in with my mate and he rubs his hands and says

I just see $200 walk in, when 200 yankee was real money.

Pleased to see he still doing well.

For CM, forget Neverfit, try the Thai Guy down Ratchamanka opposite the Huan Thai restaurant.

john

I've had shirts done by Neramit and Fashion King, and the Neramit ones are OK, but the Fashion King ones are fantastic. As are the waistcoat and shorts I had made there.

I haven't had a suit made there, but that's where I'm going for some more shirts next week, and that's where I'd get a suit.

Also Frank is a really pleasant guy to do business with. I knew I was far from the swindlers in Phuket and similar places when he wouldn't take the full deposit, because it was pretty much all the cash I had on me. "Here, take 500 baht back."

Fashion King sounds good. Can you please tell me where it is and give me a guide to the price for trousers and shirts.

I've had shirts done by Neramit and Fashion King, and the Neramit ones are OK, but the Fashion King ones are fantastic. As are the waistcoat and shorts I had made there.

I haven't had a suit made there, but that's where I'm going for some more shirts next week, and that's where I'd get a suit.

Also Frank is a really pleasant guy to do business with. I knew I was far from the swindlers in Phuket and similar places when he wouldn't take the full deposit, because it was pretty much all the cash I had on me. "Here, take 500 baht back."

Frank and Fashion King made a nice suit for Hubby, complete with two trousers and two shirts. I didn't chime in earlier to this thread, because Hubby isn't exactly a suit-lover. He insisted on giving away all his before we moved to Thailand and when I said he should bring at least one -- he pointed out that we're retiring and just as I didn't want to bring an alarm clock, he didn't want to bring a suit!

Well, that plan worked out for a year or two, until he found that he had to miss events where a suit would have been appropriate. So he visited Frank at Fashion King, who interviewed him to determine how often he'd wear the suit, where he'd wear it, etc and suggested he didn't need a high-end suit -- just something that looked good for the three or four times a year he should wear a suit.

I know a little about tailoring and think the quality of the work is very good. Hubby liked the fact that he didn't have to troupe thru all the fabric shops in Warorot to supply his fabric or have fittings in the un-airconditioned living quarters of a Thai dressmaker, like I do when I have clothing made by my Thai dressmaker.

All-in-all Frank at Fashion King was a good experience for him. He could select his fabric from numerous selections, Frank didn't try to sell him more than he needed, the showroom was aircondtioned and Frank's staff served us orange-juice!

P.S. -- I still don't have an alarm clock.