O Or Tourist Visa

I am sure I have read these things before but after so many times I need to get it straight in a single answer.

In a few months I plan on applying for a 1 year extension based on marriage.

My questions are:

1. Do I need to start with an O visa or can it be a tourist visa?

2. If it is an O visa, where is the easiest place to obtain one? It will have to be a country near Thailand. Laos, Malaysia etc. I am near Udorn Thani.

3. Is the multi-entry visa obtained at the same time as the extension?

4. Lastly, did I read correctly that the extension begins again for 1 year each time you re-enter the country?

As far as the fees, paperwork and bank deposits required, I am fairly sure I have that understood except for the odd requirements at some immigration offices.

Thanks for your non-boorish answers. :D

1. Non immigrant visa entry required - extra 2k charge to convert from a tourist entry.

2. Vientiane. Single entry non immigrant O.

3. Apply after one year extension of stay has been approved (there is a 30 day or more wait after application). It is a re-entry permit.

4. Incorrect. You use re-entry permit to return and permitted to stay will remain the same extension of stay date as you had.

1. Non immigrant visa entry required - extra 2k charge to convert from a tourist entry.

2. Vientiane. Single entry non immigrant O.

3. Apply after one year extension of stay has been approved (there is a 30 day or more wait after application). It is a re-entry permit.

4. Incorrect. You use re-entry permit to return and permitted to stay will remain the same extension of stay date as you had.

I see now that what I had read applied to multi entry Non O visa but that was only going to work for 2 years.

Thanks.

The "two year" only applies to multi entry non immigrant O-A (retirement visa/pre approved extension of stay). They provide a one year entry any time during the one year they are valid so a trip just before visa expires gets a new one year stay. But any travel after visa expires requires the normal re-entry permit.