My Trip To Pattaya

pmgthailand

I live in Phuket and have not visited Pattaya for about 3 years. I recently visited a friend of mine who live in Fun Town. I found it a refreshing change from the money grabbers here in Phuket. Everything was a lot cheaper than it is here. I found it cheaper to pay for my flights to travel to Pattaya, took the gov't bus from the airport (124 baht each way), I didn't have to pay for accommodation but even that looked cheaper, beers for as little as 35 baht, all you can eat restaurants for 250 baht, I even found a 1 hour massage for 100 baht. The people seemed genuinely friendlier and Pattaya has much nicer looking women than Phuket. Traveled around by baht bus. I don't really like going to the beach, so the cleanliness of the beaches doesn't bother me and I don't rent jet skis. Five days in Pattaya cost me a lot less than a weekend would in Phuket. I won't wait another 3 years to visit again. Phuket really is a rip off and the people here are not as nice a s the people in Pattaya.

:rolleyes:

Edited by pmgthailand

Agree with everything you said :)

I recently returned to Phuket from Pattaya (went to chaperon a friend who had never been there) and was reminded why I dislike Phuket so much and very rarely visit. All you need to know is that beach chair rentals are B 30 all day in Pattaya and B 100 per day in Phuket. That about sums up the differences between the two places.

So when are you moving to Pattaya :lol:

I'd move there tomorrow if I could find a job. I am captain of a yacht here in Phuket and unfortunately this is where all the yachts are in Thailand, I passed my CV around Ocean Marina when I was there but there just aren't as many yachts there as there are here.

:(:(:(

Agree with everything you said :)

I recently returned to Phuket from Pattaya (went to chaperon a friend who had never been there) and was reminded why I dislike Phuket so much and very rarely visit. All you need to know is that beach chair rentals are B 30 all day in Pattaya and B 100 per day in Phuket. That about sums up the differences between the two places.

So when are you moving to Pattaya :lol:

I just found the place on the whole was more friendlier, Thais and Farangs alike. I found the massage places cheap and friendly with no pressure for any extras, the restaurants that my friend took me to were clean with good value for money, baht buses to get around, happy hour at a go go bar was 50 baht for a gin and tonic, pretty friendly hostesses in most bars not pressuring you for lady drinks or " I go with you", just in general a breath of fresh air (no pun intended) compared to Phuket. Phuket has become a rip off, with first world prices with relatively third world service, unless you are in a 5***** resort or hotel. There are also more things to do in Pattaya without breaking the bank, than Phuket. IMO

quote name='Michaelaway' timestamp='1291604642' post='4069079']

Very interesting post. Was everybody more friendly here in Pattaya or were you referring to the Thai's or the farangs in particular? Any other notable differences between Phuket & Pattaya?

Thanks, good luck & come back soon...!

B)

Having lived in PHUKET I will never visit again, these people being the less friendly of all Thailand, and the best cheaters also.

I was one of the stupid listenng to Thai from Bangkok saying that PATTAYA was so bad until i started to think by myself...

I still wonder why so many tourist visit PHUKET when everything is so bad there, and it is not even an island (there is a bridge and this "island" is so big that you feel in a city, not on an island), compared to SAMUI which is really the best vacation destination in Thailand for people who like to stay on a convenient island (with many shops, bars, restaurants) that still look like an island... (and if they want a more quiet place, KOH PHANGAN an KOH TAO are very near).

Inexpensive, but that's because it's a dump. :ermm:

I usually get more whaffs of raw sewage up my nose wandering around Patong than I ever get in Pattaya.

I will not hear a bad word said against the sewerage in Phuket, it's of a much higher standard than any you could possibly find in Pattaya.

I usually get more whaffs of raw sewage up my nose wandering around Patong than I ever get in Pattaya.

Agreed. I also found the streets of Patpong to be smaller and dirtier. The baht bus scam in Patpong is worse than in Pattaya.

I couldn't wait to get back to Pattaya. I'll never go back to Phuket.

Agreed. I also found the streets of Patpong to be smaller and dirtier. The baht bus scam in Patpong is worse than in Pattaya.

I couldn't wait to get back to Pattaya. I'll never go back to Phuket.

Higher standards will always win! :ermm:

Yes, accommodation is MUCH cheaper in Pattaya than Phuket and everything else too.

That is why I Have avoided Phuket for many years.

I tend to agree that much cheaper accommodation can be found in Pattaya, but there again, I prefer to have a good nights sleep rather than listening to the antics in the next room and the constant changing of the occupants partners, but each to their own, you get what you pay for.

OP I'm glad you had a good time. You posted a while ago about having had enough of Thailand and were leaving due to all the stuff you didn't like about Phuket. I hope you can get to see a few more places too :)

I've only been to Phuket once, I quite liked it, but it's unlikely that I will return any time soon.

Edited by bifftastic

Yes, accommodation is MUCH cheaper in Pattaya than Phuket and everything else too.

That is why I Have avoided Phuket for many years.

I tend to agree that much cheaper accommodation can be found in Pattaya, but there again, I prefer to have a good nights sleep rather than listening to the antics in the next room and the constant changing of the occupants partners, but each to their own, you get what you pay for.

You get the same exact same thing in Patong, but it costs a lot more. :D

Though Phuket has more a more beautiful sea and beach, the rest of it (Patpong) is inferior compared to Pattaya. It is definately more expensive, the taxi(tuk tuk) drivers are...evil and the nature of the Thais there are not friendly. This has to do with the people being from South Thailand whereas many of the workers here in Pattaya come from Isaan. And..it is so much easier to get here from the airport than to take a delayed, packed flight on Air Asia.

Though Phuket has more a more beautiful sea and beach, the rest of it (Patpong) is inferior compared to Pattaya. It is definately more expensive, the taxi(tuk tuk) drivers are...evil and the nature of the Thais there are not friendly. This has to do with the people being from South Thailand whereas many of the workers here in Pattaya come from Isaan. And..it is so much easier to get here from the airport than to take a delayed, packed flight on Air Asia.

Some of what you say is true but you should perhaps understand that a huge percentage of the workforce here in Phuket also comes from Issan.

Some of what you say is true but you should perhaps understand that a huge percentage of the workforce here in Phuket also comes from Issan.

When I visit Phuket, I do not du a head count but it seems that the many are from the South...especially the tuk tuk drivers, beach scammersm and such. Even the tourist shop keepers seem to be more aggressive and rude. True, most of the hotel staff are from Isaan or from Nothern Thailand.

Good memory, no fear of alzheimers there, eh! lol I accepted a position in Bali, but at the last minute the job fell through. Bloody Russians!!! :angry: I have come to realise that it is Phuket that I don't like and not Thailand. Everyone in Pattaya just seemed to be a lot friendlier. I'm not a rich man, I work here and I am comfortable, but Phuket is far too expensive for me and the touts here are more aggressive.

Pattaya definitely has prettier ladies than Phuket.:rolleyes:

OP I'm glad you had a good time. You posted a while ago about having had enough of Thailand and were leaving due to all the stuff you didn't like about Phuket. I hope you can get to see a few more places too :)

I've only been to Phuket once, I quite liked it, but it's unlikely that I will return any time soon.

When I visit Phuket, I do not du a head count but it seems that the many are from the South...especially the tuk tuk drivers, beach scammersm and such. Even the tourist shop keepers seem to be more aggressive and rude. True, most of the hotel staff are from Isaan or from Nothern Thailand.

As a general rule the stall holders and shop keepers, particularly on Beach Road and Tat-U-Tit tend to be Burmese, aggressive sales people but generally a good bunch, even if they are a pain sometimes. Indeed, the Tuk Tuk guys all seem to be southern Thai's, a nasty group of people if ever there was one. Entertainment trade folks, bar girls and the likes, almost all from Issan - lower level hotel workers tend to be from Issan whilst reception and management staff tend to be from Bangkok, the South or from the North. Clearly the worst bunch are the tuk tuk guys but perhaps the most annoying are the shop keepers/sales staff.

Good memory, no fear of alzheimers there, eh! lol I accepted a position in Bali, but at the last minute the job fell through. Bloody Russians!!! :angry: I have come to realise that it is Phuket that I don't like and not Thailand. Everyone in Pattaya just seemed to be a lot friendlier. I'm not a rich man, I work here and I am comfortable, but Phuket is far too expensive for me and the touts here are more aggressive.

Pattaya definitely has prettier ladies than Phuket.:rolleyes:

:) yeah I hope the alzheimers won't catch me :)

glad you've 'branched out' a little.

All the best,

Biff