each way), I didn't have to pay for accommodation but even that looked

cheaper, beers for as little as 35 baht, all you can eat restaurants for

250 baht, I even found a 1 hour massage for 100 baht. The people seemed

genuinely friendlier and Pattaya has much nicer looking women than

Phuket. Traveled around by baht bus. I don't really like going to the

beach, so the cleanliness of the beaches doesn't bother me and I don't

rent jet skis. Five days in Pattaya cost me a lot less than a weekend

would in Phuket. I won't wait another 3 years to visit again. Phuket

really is a rip off and the people here are not as nice and friendly as the people

in Pattaya.

:rolleyes:

Edited by pmgthailand

agree on all counts especially that the people are more friendly, southern people just are not and especially on the prices, MUCH cheaper there!...just came back yesterday from spending 4 days in Pattaya myself. had not been there for a few years but found myself asking "why??!!" the whole time. I too live on Phuket for business purposes but I will be visiting Pattaya more often and more regularly!

Of course it's cheaper. You get what you pay for! Not Pattaya bashing, but the place shouldn't really be spoken in the same breath as Phuket. :) It's a bit like hiring a Honda Jazz and saying, Wow, this is so much cheaper than hiring a Ferrari, and it's safer as well.

OP, if you don't like beaches much, and prefer Pattaya in every other way, I think you are living in the wrong place!

Of course it's cheaper. You get what you pay for! Not Pattaya bashing, but the place shouldn't really be spoken in the same breath as Phuket. :) It's a bit like hiring a Honda Jazz and saying, Wow, this is so much cheaper than hiring a Ferrari, and it's safer as well.

OP, if you don't like beaches much, and prefer Pattaya in every other way, I think you are living in the wrong place!

Phuket a Ferrari and Pattaya A Jazz.........:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah those Phuket beaches really came out well in that recent beach hygeine survey they recently published.

Yeah those Phuket beaches really came out well in that recent beach hygeine survey they recently published.

The OP made reference to Phukets beaches not me, Although I think the ones I go to are fantastic.

The point is, and I stress I am NOT Pattaya bashing. The two places are so diferent, that they are incomparable in almost every way, especially cost. Pattayas proximity to BKK will always be a factor in it's cheapness.

You get exactly what you pay for. If the cost to experienc ratio is better for you in Pattaya, then that's the place you need to go. Enjoy.

The OP made reference to Phukets beaches not me, Although I think the ones I go to are fantastic.

The point is, and I stress I am NOT Pattaya bashing. The two places are so diferent, that they are incomparable in almost every way, especially cost. Pattayas proximity to BKK will always be a factor in it's cheapness.

You get exactly what you pay for. If the cost to experienc ratio is better for you in Pattaya, then that's the place you need to go. Enjoy.

Exactly, you get what you pay for....and that means you get a lot lot more for less money in Pattaya than what you do in Phuket........and they are compariable, both have seedy areas as well as more family orientated. The fact is Phuket charges extorniate rates for almost everything compared to anywhere else in Thailand and dosnt offer anything different or better than anywhere else.

I was always put off by Pattya's reputation. The first time was to meet up with some visiting friends. They'd booked me a room at that very smart hotel by the Dolphin roundabout. There were far more varied and interesting restaurants much cheaper than here on Phuket, although was somewhat taken aback by Walking Street at night?!

The second time was only this year, just a day trip out of Bangkok and was pleasantly surprised at how much more comfortable/cheaper/easier to get around, than it is here on Phuket.

I know each beach WAS (with emphasis) here much more beautiful, including mountain views. BUT. What with the influx of tarts bars and their fan clubs everywhere HERE now (I don't' give one about whatever anyone gets up to, but not my thing and I think I'm not alone in saying there's precious little else here in the way of 'nightlife', therefore some variety would be welcome), together with the fact the beaches are now dirty, overcrowded and very expensive to get to/on, beginning to think Pattaya with it's ease of travel, just one long walk along the beach, together with Cha Am, Bangkok close by, looking more attractive than the sorrowful way overbuilt Phuket of today.

Phuket suffers from lack of planning and enforcement of the law, there are laws on the book but people just pay money to circumvent them. For example you are not supposed to build above 80 feet or whatever and above a certain slope. At Naithon and Surin there are houses that are at 90 degrees to the road built well over the 80 foot level.

Anywhere with a view of the ocean is getting high end places built regardless of how steep. Kamala falls is a joke, Villa Shanti also with stairs so steep leading up to the highest places you need to be a bloody mountain goat. I spoke to someone the other day about it and he said, big money and houses being built purely with rich Russians, Arabs or whoever in mind as the buyer.

There are places at Nai Thon for sale at 100 million baht plus that are technically illegal. When the eventual landslide happens somewhere you'll hear five minutes of tough talk and committees formed but everything will go on as usual. Pattaya is cheaper and Phuket's famed beauty is fast fading with mountains being gouged and beach views blocked by endless building.

Supply outstrips demand already so Phukets will get cheaper just to compete when it becomes just like other over crowded Asian cities.

yes agreed, after a couple of longish visits to Phuket then Pattaya will not bother with Phuket again, everything better than Phuket here in Pattaya maybe the Phuket beach is better but Jomtien beach is nice.

Beer, food, accommodation, girls, everything cheaper in Pattaya and I stay in the soi Baukoa (spelling) area and everything right on my doorstep.

Phuket a Ferrari? I do believe that you are talking out of your backside!

:whistling:

Of course it's cheaper. You get what you pay for! Not Pattaya bashing, but the place shouldn't really be spoken in the same breath as Phuket. It's a bit like hiring a Honda Jazz and saying, Wow, this is so much cheaper than hiring a Ferrarismile.gif, and it's safer as well.

Maybe, but I wouldn't want to drive around in any car with a bunch of very unfriendly, money-grubbing people.

The last time I was in Phuket, I swore it would be just that - my last time.

Phuket suffers from lack of planning and enforcement of the law, there are laws on the book but people just pay money to circumvent them. For example you are not supposed to build above 80 feet or whatever and above a certain slope. At Naithon and Surin there are houses that are at 90 degrees to the road built well over the 80 foot level.

Meters not feet.. 80m..

Phuket a Ferrari? I do believe that you are talking out of your backside!

:whistling:

Yeahhhh :lol: Pattaya a Jazz :cheesy: , tis more like a broken down noodle cart :lol:

If one isn't put off by the assumptions that one is a pervert, the long commute from the aerodrome to the Pattaya hotel, the type of visitor that picks Pattaya and the rampant violent crime, then yes Pattaya is a target spot to visit. Phuket offers variety and a higher class of visitor. Higher class? Yes. One of my favourite beer stoops sometimes takes on the Pattaya bargirls. They are incredibly trashy, loud and vulgar. That's the kind of trade they cater to in Pattaya. These girls ususally don't last outside of Bangla Rd.

Yes, many of the prices are "cheaper" in Pattaya, but who wants to eat at an all you caneat buffet where the quality of food is crap? Quantity does not equal quality. The seafood brought in off of Pattaya is polluted or a bit off from the travel time from other destinations. That is less likely to happen in Phuket. There are a large number of quality restaurants on Phuket, that I do not think can be matched outside of Bangkok. I agree Phuket is over priced, but the benefit for me is that it discourages more riff raff from coming and that is worth something to me.

I am not discounting your view because you are right about Phuket being over priced. However, the market will sort that out soon enough. The market cannot solve Pattaya's situation.

i just browsed some rentals in pattaya.. houses with 300+sqm yards and pools for 40 000baht per month, right next to shopping/beach.. Top quality furniture with nice interior designs..

phuket for this, 100 000baht minimum, or living in the middle of nowhere

among all the development i found this one

http://www.plenarypark-pattaya.com/en/ ... dam_n. This is right next to the city center. look at those yards.. look at the low price.

I wonder if MeatLoaf ever visited Phuket?

"Nothing ever grows in this rotting old hole,

And everything is stunted and lost.

And nothing really rocks, and nothing really rolls,

And nothing's ever worth the cost."

Bat Out of Hell.

I wonder if MeatLoaf ever visited Phuket?

"Nothing ever grows in this rotting old hole,

And everything is stunted and lost.

And nothing really rocks, and nothing really rolls,

And nothing's ever worth the cost."

Bat Out of Hell.

Ahhh, another Meatloaf fan!!!

Anywhere with a view of the ocean is getting high end places built regardless of how steep. Kamala falls is a joke, Villa Shanti also with stairs so steep leading up to the highest places you need to be a bloody mountain goat. I spoke to someone the other day about it and he said, big money and houses being built purely with rich Russians, Arabs or whoever in mind as the buyer.

There are places at Nai Thon for sale at 100 million baht plus that are technically illegal. When the eventual landslide happens somewhere you'll hear five minutes of tough talk and committees formed but everything will go on as usual. Pattaya is cheaper and Phuket's famed beauty is fast fading with mountains being gouged and beach views blocked by endless building.

Supply outstrips demand already so Phukets will get cheaper just to compete when it becomes just like other over crowded Asian cities.

Not to mention the full to over-flowing solid waste facilities, sewage-treatment (or lack thereof), and the periodic water shortages that afflict the island. Why anyone would want to pay any premium to visit or live in Phuket is beyond me.

LOVE this thread..................

Need to get all the wanke_rs and complainers that are here in Phuket, outta here ! One of you is probably the one that came up on me on the road with a bike so big you needed to take the whole lane, and then whistled in my ear as I'm just trying to get across the street with my laundry as I have done the last 5 years........

The poster that remarks about the water quality at the beach, what time of year was that? Understand wind and water movement do ya? How's that water quality in Pattaya?

I think the OP nailed it on the head, he'd rather have cheap beer and girls than go to the beach, Pattaya suits him better, no worries.

Keep up the Phuket bashing, for sure Pattaya needs you, go now, why wait!!!!

The poster that remarks about the water quality at the beach, what time of year was that? Understand wind and water movement do ya? How's that water quality in Pattaya?

The water quality in question and what was being tested for was coliform bacteria count...you know, the bactos that come out of your arse when you take a <deleted> :blink: Phuket's beaches had the the highest counts of all the resort areas tested. These bactos have nothing to do with the seasons, water temp., or currents, like algae blooms and such, but the utter lack of proper sewage-water treatment and the over development of the island.

Just another reason why Phuket is so over-rated...or maybe it's a new Thai "hub"...this one for coliform bacterias :lol:

I wonder why people need to get so defensive when people point out the good things about Pattaya? I love Phuket but know some things in Pattaya are much cheaper and for long termers may offer better allround prospects because of the baht buses and lower cost of general living. Not everybody likes the beach, people should accept that rather than get all upset when Pattaya comes up.

I love the beach but recently at Surin beach you cannot even walk on the beach. People drag their loungers right down to the water's edge now and it is so crowded it is a bit ridiculous to think eveybody is going to like that. Pla seafood has set a dangerous precedent by actually walling off a large section of sand where is has canopies over restaurant tables and chairs. If private businesses are allowed to take over public beaches like this everybody will start doing it. Thankfully the weather doesn't allow a long high season there.

The photo is of me at Surin beach about 20 years ago.

Just a note about Pattaya dining. The seafood may be fresher in Phuket, but don't kid yourself, Pattaya is a FANTASTIC foodie destination these days. There are wonderful Iranian, Russian, American, French, Italian, Indian, Korean, Lebanese, Swiss, etc. restaurants offering really good food at quite low prices. Phuket can't hold a candle to the Pattaya food scene. Even Bangkok Thais and expats come to Pattaya to enjoy the very unique food scene.

Caveat, though, don't come here for Mexican food, and if you want the best local Thai seafood, be prepared to travel to the outskirts of town.

Edited by Jingthing

This thread and looking at a bunch of developement sites has made me chose to leave for pattaya.. I never go to the beach anyways, its too hot in phuket and thai people here are crazy.

For a nice house with bigland in chalong.. minimum 7mb

in pattaya i found 5mins from shopping a 11600sqm land with a huge 3 storey 3br house y furnirshed(brand new and hot) for 8mb.. the same model but a little smaller goes as low as 2.8 for 2br on a 450 sqm lot.. that's the price for a small twinhouse and no land in phuket, far from everything.

Thank you for the thread.