Caught Jamming

In a beer garden here, an American has been regularly jamming with a local band on stage. He does it purely for fun and, other than being bought the odd pint, receives no payment whatsoever.

Last night, men in suits ordered him to stop playing and pack up his gear. They then lead him away and drove off in a car to who knows where.

Considering he probably does not have a work permit, does anyone know what will happen to him?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a mate in Phuket, that was in the same situation. He had a tip jar on top of the piano and he was taken away and booked, for not having a work permit. It only amounted to a fine (forget how much), but he spent 6 hours at the police station and then waited 1 year to get to court.

If they are not aware of the free amber fluid, he was working for, he shouldnt even be charged. The again Jay, he could well be.

Yeah, If it can be shown he was volunteering freely his talents, than niether he nor anyone at the pub should be charged anything. It is not even a minor dismeanor...

However, if he was using any of the establishments equipment than the establishment can get bolloxed. If a mic or an amp or anything like that is "loaned" to a performer it is considered equal to the establishment HIRING the musician.

If he was just there without Equipment than no probs..

Yeah, If it can be shown he was volunteering freely his talents, than niether he nor anyone at the pub should be charged anything. It is not even a minor dismeanor...

However, if he was using any of the establishments equipment than the establishment can get bolloxed. If a mic or an amp or anything like that is "loaned" to a performer it is considered equal to the establishment HIRING the musician.

If he was just there without Equipment than no probs..

It was an open air bar. He was using the bar's music stand and microphone but blowing his own sax. The local band was obviously getting paid but proving that he wasn't getting any money may be difficult.

Logically you are right but legally not. Thai law says "work means to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefit;", i.e. it does not matter of he is being paid or not.

Hopefully common sense will be applied and he will be let off with a warning.

In a beer garden here, an American has been regularly jamming with a local band on stage. He does it purely for fun and, other than being bought the odd pint, receives no payment whatsoever.

Last night, men in suits ordered him to stop playing and pack up his gear. They then lead him away and drove off in a car to who knows where.

Considering he probably does not have a work permit, does anyone know what will happen to him?

Kind of unfortunate, but he should have known better.

Kind of unfortunate, but he should have known better.

Jim Diamond

2 years ago Steven Seagull was having a holiday here and was Jamming with Add Karabow <<< is the spelling correct ?playing blues in a club for fun but the boys in brown did not arrest him....infact they are enjoying it too

Edited by tytus

2 years ago Steven Seagull was having a holiday here and was Jamming with Add Karabow  <<< is the spelling correct ?playing blues in a club for fun  but the boys in brown did not arrest him....infact they are enjoying it too

well, he was here filming a movie, "belly of the beast"...so he would probably have been on a temporary entertainers permit that allows him to work in various locations...so he might have actually been legal !

Should be arrested for making loads of movies all with the facial expression!!!!

Unfortunately this chap is paying for the "sins" of those who have come before him.

He may well have been just jamming (never forget there is always two sides to any story) and has been unfortunate or there may be more too it than meets the information to hand.

Some may say the Thai Government is being heavy handed or short sighted - dont forget all the characters here and other similar countries who exist on handouts (running a bar for board & beer) bumming beer,cigarettes, a meal and I am talking Farang not National.

We could also apply this (heavy handed stigma) to our own Governmants ask those that want a simple genuine visitor visa for a GF - very very difficult to obtain -Why because our Govts are making them (those who wish to travel now) pay for the sins of those who went before and abused the hand that was offered.

A simple jamming session looked at in isolation is very innocent but ask the questions:

How long has he been doing it?

How long has he been in Thailand?

How does he support himself? (maybe the answer lie here)?

How much money does he bring in to Thailand each year?

No I am not sour but I witnessed the "down & out" brigade being moved out of PNG and then RoP maybe it is time KoT applied the same move on "boot" - not wishing them on any country but new fields are opening next door.

Let the genuine Farang- the teachers, the holiday makers, the retirees, the marriedees, the workees, the volunteeres - the tourists, the businessmen. the genuine jammerees and pyjamaerees relax by revising the rules to read guidelines because these type of stayees may well become good genuine proliferatees. (Nearly forgot the Laszeees - couch potatoes giving meaning to the term Mun Farang )

Before I let you have your way with me Republig of the Philippines - RP (RoP used to assist in tranlation) Kingdom of Thailand (KoT) Simple to me but then as they or I thinks you will say Simple things for Simple minds.

Edited by mijan246

Should be arrested for making loads of movies all with the facial expression!!!!

...and carrying on from that, tell me someone. Does this guy have a morbid fascination with aggrevated spousal demise. In just about every film he has ever made..his wife manages to get killed by the villains or has been killed in earlier character pursuits.

Anyone else notice that???????

T.

...and carrying on from that, tell me someone. Does this guy have a morbid fascination with aggrevated spousal demise. In just about every film he has ever made..his wife manages to get killed by the villains or has been killed in earlier character pursuits.

Anyone else notice that???????

T.

Absolutely , also his wooden Martial arts moves are quite tedious to watch , he has turned millions away from Aikido , they should ban him from practicing.

Strangely enough my kids both think that he's quite good. :o

Being an Aikido guy myself (ex now), I think he actually helped the art. Ole Steve is the real deal BTW - he Trained in Japan for quite a few years. If it wasnt for his ex girlfriend (woman in weird science?), he would still be doing security.

Being an Aikido guy myself (ex now), I think he actually helped the art. Ole Steve is the real deal BTW - he Trained in Japan for quite a few years. If it wasnt for his ex girlfriend (woman in weird science?), he would still be doing security.

Tornie , yes I agree he prob has brought a lot of new converts to the art , on scrren though the guys who look the best ( Van Damme, Chan etc ) aren't real practitioners , the real guys look crap in comparison , more to do with theatre skills than Bushido.

He still looks a &lt;deleted&gt; though IMO...... :o

>>>>Logically you are right but legally not. Thai law says "work means to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefit;", i.e. it does not matter of he is being paid or not.>>>

Thanks for posting this, I showed it to my wife, my housecleaning/repair days

are over !! Yippie!!

Thanks!

nam

According to what I heard last night, the jammer in question was interviewed for 30 minutes at the local nick, given a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again until he had a WP. They also gave him some guidance on how to go about getting one.

So, storm in a teacup really.