Drive To Singapore

bkkexplorer

Hi,

I searched but could not find the information and would be grateful if i could get some pointers. I would like to drive from bkk to singapore and need to know if this is possible, what paperwork i need and where to get it done and relevant bits of information. Also tips of do's and don'ts for the ones that have made this trip. Thanks.

I've recently returned from a trip tp Malaysia so can help with that leg. You will need an Englisg translation of the information page of your cars registration book, available from your local Ministry of Transport office. Driving licence, I didn't require an international permit as my Thai license has English as well as Thai. Bring original registration book. If vehicle is registered in your wife's name etc, get a copy of her ID cards which she signs and dates and writes in English that you have permission to take vehicle from the country.

I crossed the border at Sadao but be aware crossing is closed from 11pm to 5am. Drive car up to passport control, stamp out of Thailand, drive through "no mans land" stamp into Malaysia. Drive on slowly for maybe 100 metres, you will see tourist info centre on your left. Look to the right you will see office with blue sign and letters JBJ. This is a Malay Govt office with very helpful staff, they will issue you with International Vehicle Circulation Permit, free of charge. But, you must purchase insurance first from office beside JBJ. Note: insurance office doesn't open until 8am. I paid 80R ( 800 Baht ) for one month policy.

Important: Make sure you have some Malaysian currency as you are straight onto toll roads!!

P.S. Areal pleasure driving in Malaysia after the chaos of Thailand.

Edit: Forgot to mention, insurance agent will also print off and give you an English translation of your vehicle number plate for 150 Baht (15 ringgit) which you just stick on. And 5am on Thai border becomes 6am when you cross into Malaysia.

Edited by JUDAS

Thanks for that Judas. Once in Malaysia, should be easy going into Singapore me think. Would still like some tips from other TV members who have done the trip KL-SIN.

My guess it may be better to leave the car in JB rather than paying all the charges for singapore. There are a lot of guarded places where people who work in Singapore park their cars and commute by taxi etc.

I do not know all of the ins and outs of Malaysia to Singapore - I did it the other way around a few years back.

The big problem for you in Singapore is the automatic toll roads. Money is deducted from your in-car device as you drive under the gantries. Apparently you can 'rent' a device that will let you use the roads but I have no idea how you do this. You need to talk to someone from Malaysia that has done this. Leaving your car in JB may be a good option. Also parking in Singapore was expensive, whilst taxis were cheap.

Also, please remember that the Singapore police are totally uncorruptable. There are fines for any offense, and an attempt to 'pay locally' will result in jail for you and an award for the policeman.

Edited by Tropicalevo

• 1 month later...

Hello; I am Deny here,I have seeing a new thread Thai Visa Forum. I searched but could not find the information and would be grateful if i could get some pointers. I would like to drive from Vizal to singapore and need to know if this is possible, what paperwork i need and where to get it done and relevant bits of information. Also tips of do's and don'ts for the ones that have made this trip. Thanks in advance.

Is there any time limit on how long the thai registered vehicle can be outside of Thailand and come back in without any taxes paid etc ?

I heard that there was and just wondering if correct or not.

Also interested in the singapore section.....maybe to Indo also.