Purifying Mooban Water

BarnicaleBob

Is that the unit that costs approximately 30,000 baht, from Amway? We've had the sales pitch in our Mooban also.

You can build an proper water filtration system for much less, from Global house and many other stores.

Edited by Fishenough

Is that the unit that costs approximately 30,000 baht, from Amway? We've had the sales pitch in our Mooban also.

You can build an proper water filtration system for much less, from Global house and many other stores.

Thanks, yes that sounds like it but the price I was given is 27,000 bt. I like it because of the added UV light works with the filter making the water germ free plus all I have to do is hook it up and I know it will work. That in my mind is better than trying to build something much more complicated that may or may not be as good. At this point I am just interested in others who may have purchased one and if they have had any problems and if they are happy with the unit.

This just makes no sense whatsoever. Filtration of very dubious and uncontrolled water may still have all kinds of contaminants and bad chemicals in them that filtration doesn't take out.

With 6 liters of Mineré or Nestle water costing 30-33 baht or so, why bother??

27K baht buys you NINE HUNDRED 6-L bottles of Nestle Water. Say roughly one of those a week per person, then that's a tall glass of water right there. That is SEVENTEEN YEARS OF WATER. Or still many years for a family of three. Either way it likely lasts you longer than the lifespan of the stupid filter.

And don't get me started on Amway.

logo-lightbox.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

This just makes no sense whatsoever. Filtration of very dubious and uncontrolled water may still have all kinds of contaminants and bad chemicals in them that filtration doesn't take out.

27K baht buys you NINE HUNDRED 6-L bottles of Nestle Water. Say roughly one of those a week per person, then that's a tall glass of water right there. That is SEVENTEEN YEARS OF WATER. Or still many years for a family of three. Either way it likely lasts you longer than the lifespan of the stupid filter.

logo-lightbox.png

Agreed. We looked at the filtration system and then decided to spend the money elsewhere - extra aircons, patio extension etc.

For 58 baht we get 24 litres of mineral water delivered.

A. There is no such thing as an "extra" air conditioner - just one not needed right now :rolleyes:

B. There are methods of avoiding Amway

C. And not covering the earth forever with plastic

= My (onceaweek) maebaan, who has negotiated the 20 liter delivery for 20 baht in re-usable containers. For me, nothing could be more efficient, and he has 3 other deliveries within meters.

(Recognize that solutions must depend upon where one lives.)

I have a lot to learn, however (everything) about these "filter systems." Friend of mine then boils the water (briefly) using one of those devices sold everywhere??

logo-lightbox.png

Uh huh

But don't get me started on the evil that is non reusable water bottles.

don't lose any sleep about those 5 liter bottles. They are reused and reused and have resale value.

The various housekeepers and maintenance people in my building are very keen to inherit them.

What inspections and safeguards are in place for bottled water in Thailand? Is the industry government regulated and where, if at all, can you view results of inspections of various brands of bottled water. Is anyone really sure of what purification processes have been done to the bulk water that can be delivered to your door? Just curious, remember Dasani? The Coca Cola product theat turned about to be nothing more than tap water with additional filtration.

logo-lightbox.png

Just some information: The normal bottled water in Thailand is simply filtered, and will have about 300-350PPM of solids in it. I have one of those "RO" units connected to 2 8 liter pressure tanks to feed faucets for drinking water as well as the automatic ice maker and water dispenser on our refrigerator. This works very well and I don't have to haul those 6L bottles home every few days. The reusable delivered bottles are usually no more than well water that has been tested (like mine) for microorganism (bacteria). My RO unit takes the solids from 450-550 PPM to about 105-115. Like drinking snow water. Cost about 8000B including all the tubing and extra tank to install. We use about 3-6L per day with all the neighbors, etc. Edited by lockman

Many of the local water bottling plants sell the water in reusable bottles. These are the semi-opaque bottles and not the clear bottles. These are normally sold by the crate of about 25 bottles per crate. You swap out a crate of empties for a crate of full bottles.

Many of the local water bottling plants sell the water in reusable bottles. These are the semi-opaque bottles and not the clear bottles. These are normally sold by the crate of about 25 bottles per crate. You swap out a crate of empties for a crate of full bottles.

Thanks! ;)