Peppermint Cafe

uptheos

Looking on Trip Advisor, I notice that the Peppermint Cafe on Soi 5 Rachadamnoern, which I've never heard of, is rated as the No 1 place in Chiang Mai based on 24 reviews, which are all nearly five star. I know that often these places have friends put up posts, but since it is currently No 1 and has such glowing reports about the food and prices, I was wondering if anyone here has actually tried it and if so what did you think?

Hinlay Curry House, which I like is No 2 and Bon Kitchen is No3. Some of the more well known places mentioned on this forum are surprisingly bringing up the rear! However, I would be interested to know if this Peppermint Cafe is any good and yes I will get along and try it for myself one day.

Edited by uptheos

Happened to stumble upon them prior to reading it's glowing reviews, so I think i am unbiased. Based on one meal; Massaman curry, I couldn't have asked for better. Portion, taste, authenticity all on point. Attentive and congenial staff, a comfortable environment, and possibly the biggest plus for me, is an on premise owner to inquire on your satisfaction and offer a glad hand for coming in.

As a plus I was eating with a professioanl chef, who said that he always has 'one eye on the kitchen, and it was completely clean.'

Their mojito isn't shabby either.

And no I am not a shill for them. Actually wouldn't have bitten at the query, as I like to keep good finds to myself, but since they've hit the big reviewers......

enjoy

Happened to stumble upon them prior to reading it's glowing reviews, so I think i am unbiased. Based on one meal; Massaman curry, I couldn't have asked for better. Portion, taste, authenticity all on point. Attentive and congenial staff, a comfortable environment, and possibly the biggest plus for me, is an on premise owner to inquire on your satisfaction and offer a glad hand for coming in.

As a plus I was eating with a professioanl chef, who said that he always has 'one eye on the kitchen, and it was completely clean.'

And no I am not a shill for them. Actually wouldn't have bitten at the query, as I like to keep good finds to myself, but since they've hit the big reviewers......

enjoy

Thanks for that alobar, it certainly sounds well worth trying. smile.gif

Apart from the food, the raves on TA also seem to be about good prices, value for money and the attentive staff and owners, which you now confirm.

Edited by uptheos

enjoy

Apart from the food, the raves on TA also seem to be about good prices, value for money and the attentive staff and owners, which you now confirm.

I spend a bit of time on Tripadvisor, and its forums and hotel reviews are a great resource (particularly if you disregard the one-post wonders who join to plug a particular hotel). However, the restaurant ratings pretty much world wide are a bit of a joke. Lots of touts, a bias towards anything in Lonely Planet, and even the genuine reviews are usually by people whose idea of good local food is a banana pancake...

enjoy

'Massaman curry'............

Did you have beef or chicken ?

.... However, the restaurant ratings pretty much world wide are a bit of a joke. Lots of touts, a bias towards anything in Lonely Planet, and even the genuine reviews are usually by people whose idea of good local food is a banana pancake...

:cheesy:

Exactly! Couldn't have said it better. Forget about restaurant reviews in TripAdvisor. People's tastes and expectations are just too different, especially when you consider backpackers. A young friend of mine would go to Baan Pai - home of relatively OK Thai food, and random / bizarre farang food - and eat the "beef strogganoff" there every day. No matter we're in Thailand; no matter the beef strogganoff was their own weird creation. He liked it, who's to argue. I just wouldn't ask him where to go eat ;)

enjoy

I spend a bit of time on Tripadvisor, and its forums and hotel reviews are a great resource (particularly if you disregard the one-post wonders who join to plug a particular hotel). However, the restaurant ratings pretty much world wide are a bit of a joke. Lots of touts, a bias towards anything in Lonely Planet, and even the genuine reviews are usually by people whose idea of good local food is a banana pancake...

I'm not advocating Trip Advisor as a gold standard, we all know the saga of a certain Fish and Chip place. wink.gif

It just caught my eye in the No 1 spot and wondered if anyone had tried it and what they thought?

Hinlay deserves recognition, don't you think?

enjoy

I'm not advocating Trip Advisor as a gold standard, we all know the saga of a certain Fish and Chip place. wink.gif

It just caught my eye in the No 1 spot and wondered if anyone had tried it and what they thought?

That certain fish and chips shop is rated number 5 and went out of business about 4 months back. Anyone that would believe TA has to have burnt out taste buds or none at all.:lol:

enjoy

Looks like you can't please all of the people all of the time...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293917-d1127820-Reviews-Peppermint_Cafe-Chiang_Mai.html

That certain fish and chips shop is rated number 5 and went out of business about 4 months back. Anyone that would believe TA has to have burnt out taste buds or none at all.:lol:

Yep I know, know now that the mates have given up sending in reviews.

I expect all those that eat at low rated TA places, wouldn't think it any good. wink.gif

I've eaten at some crummy places, highly recommended on this site too!