Elizabeth Edwards dies at 61 after battle with cancer

News_Editor

Elizabeth Edwards dies at 61 after battle with cancer

2010-12-08 05:20:50 GMT+7 (ICT)

CHAPEL HILL, NORTH CAROLINA (BNO NEWS) -- Elizabeth Edwards, the estranged wife of former U.S. senator and presidential candidate John Edwards, died on Tuesday surrounded by family and friends, after a six-year battle with breast cancer, her family said. She was 61.

"Today we have lost the comfort of Elizabeth's presence but she remains the heart of this family. We love her and will never know anyone more inspiring or full of life," her family said in a statement.

"On behalf of Elizabeth we want to express our gratitude to the thousands of kindred spirits who moved and inspired her along the way. Your support and prayers touched our entire family."

Edwards, an accomplished lawyer, teacher, and business owner, was first diagnosed with cancer in during the 2004 presidential campaign, when her husband, then-U.S. Sen. John Edwards, was the Democratic nominee for vice president.

Having gone into remission, the cancer came back while John Edwards was running for president four years later.

John Edwards was already having an extramarital affair, and as soon as she learned of the affair, she wanted John to end the campaign to protect her family, but she stood by his side until he dropped out of the presidential race.

John and Elizabeth separated in late 2009.

"You all know that I have been sustained throughout my life by three saving graces – my family, my friends, and a faith in the power of resilience and hope," Edwards wrote on Facebook last week.

"These graces have carried me through difficult times and they have brought more joy to the good times than I ever could have imagined. The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And, yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human."

"But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful. It isn't possible to put into words the love and gratitude I feel to everyone who has and continues to support and inspire me every day. To you I simply say: you know."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-12-08