Smile Party, Huay Tung Tao, Thurs 9/12

realthaideal

Hey Guys. Maybe RTD has been away for awhile or not in the center of town, but I haven't seen much ado about the Smile Party 3 being held n Thursday. I do see posters up now, and notice they have this guy Fantuzzi performing- and he's an internationally known guy. I'm not sure whether I'll make it or not (it being RTD's birthday eve!). I saw Fantuzzi perform a couple years back and can definitely tell this is a guy who regularly performs in front of thousands and can hold an audience. I also hear a regular town gigster Aussie John is performing. If I go I'd expect something a little different this time... and always increasing standards for entertainment. Who went to # 2 ?

As usual, several bars are in on it n closing down for the night. Same Zoe n Yellow, Cafe Del Sol, Roots Rock Reggae. I'm wondering if they're giving away the free tequila shots with early ticket purchase again. Anybody know ?And they have the shuttle service running up there all night. I drove to the first one.... it was alright, though it feels pretty far out for the late-night/ early am trip back.

I'm 70/30 on attending. And town seems a little quiet right now for tourists. For their own sake, I hope that the masses show up. I know they put alot of effort into the event n are also trying to make a scene or reputation for CM - that it can pull off something big and worthy of becoming a regular event that people go to see. It's ambitious in these times.

If it's a big or a small party i don't know depends how many farang go, because most Thai don't like these kind of parties, especially the Chiang mai Thai, they rather hear lousy music and sit a plastic chair.

I went to the last 2, it was a nice set up but the bands were lame. The bands that were playing were the same house bands that play around town. Don't get me wrong they're all good musicians but they seem to be playing the same stuff for years now. I've been here for more than 6 years and seen all these house bands and pretty bored of them to be honest. But if your new in town or not familiar with these band I'd recommend going, but if like me, seen them all before I wouldn't bother.

P.S The Hamburgs that were there the last time were the best I ever had in Thailand

If it's a big or a small party i don't know depends how many farang go, because most Thai don't like these kind of parties, especially the Chiang mai Thai, they rather hear lousy music and sit a plastic chair.

I went to the last 2, it was a nice set up but the bands were lame. The bands that were playing were the same house bands that play around town. Don't get me wrong they're all good musicians but they seem to be playing the same stuff for years now. I've been here for more than 6 years and seen all these house bands and pretty bored of them to be honest. But if your new in town or not familiar with these band I'd recommend going, but if like me, seen them all before I wouldn't bother.

P.S The Hamburgs that were there the last time were the best I ever had in Thailand

I concur. (not with the hamburgers though :) , although they were indeed tasty )

Edited by MikeCNX

Thanks for that link Lanna Reborn. I'll probably go check that out. I followed the link half out of curiosity to see if it's the meaty Pun Pun or the vegetablye-y Pun Pun, and of course it was the latter, which makes more sense. (Oh the trouble with Thai names transliterated... or are they the same '1000 Varieties' ?)

As for Smile.... I'm still up in the air. Fantuzzi's gonna be great I think. I see he's also performing at Zoe in Yellow on Friday night for a limited engagement. Might go to that instead. It's all gonna be down to my mood this evening. After having asked around town now, I do know that quite a few of my friends will be there.... hmmmm.

Thanks for that link Lanna Reborn. I'll probably go check that out. I followed the link half out of curiosity to see if it's the meaty Pun Pun or the vegetablye-y Pun Pun, and of course it was the latter, which makes more sense. (Oh the trouble with Thai names transliterated... or are they the same '1000 Varieties' ?)

As for Smile.... I'm still up in the air. Fantuzzi's gonna be great I think. I see he's also performing at Zoe in Yellow on Friday night for a limited engagement. Might go to that instead. It's all gonna be down to my mood this evening. After having asked around town now, I do know that quite a few of my friends will be there.... hmmmm.

Well. Was it any good?

Sorry guys. After my inquiry and positing, I didn't make it. For 'twas the eve of old RTD's birthday (95 yrs old now by my profile) and I had preparing to do for the next day's celebrations. I wanted to go, but 95 being such a big year, I decided best rest up at home n miss this one.

My ppl around town tell me though, that the shows were all quite good actually. maybe even the best musically so far. Refreshments also good. However, it being held on a Thurs, and with less follow-thru with advertising, and maybe a low high-season, there were less than 1000 folks there total. I hear Smile #1 had about 2,000 ppl, and Smile #2 had about 1,250. So this one was less successful in the attendance sense. I'm hoping all of the ppl who put this thing on find the numbers still in their favor and that this kind of concerted effort can keep going to make something fun and different for our often un-eventful city.

Anybody actually attend n got some other reports of how it went for them ?

Hi,

I went there, and it was nice. There were the same Bands like every year and Fantusie a Reggae Rast Guy traveling in Asia and making music. Not Bad. But all together it was fun. Nice settings, very nice people.

The Tequilla Shot was free this year as well.

Check the video of the festival here:

http://www.mojo4you.com/events/3rd-smile-party/

Had a lot of fun and I will go there again.:D

Thanks for the info JoKaew. I'll be sure to catch the next one. Timing just wasn't right for #3.

I see thru FaceBook that Fantuzzi is playing 2 more nights here in CM at Zoe in Yellow in the Reggae Rasta soi. Think I'm gonna go catch tonight's show and have me a mojito while I'm at it.