Farang Uniform

PETERTHEEATER

Last month in Hong Kong I bought a white Armani tuxedo jacket, with cream satin lapels.

Very nice, (I look like a gigolo). But where am I going to wear it here?

I stick to my 'look'.

Lo and behold my feet......

post-4780-1124301411.jpg

Edited by The_Moog

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole thread is excellent! However it does bring to mind a chap I saw a few years ago at Don Muang, saying farewell to his tirak.

I have always tended to dress on the conservative side, having come to Thailand as military many years ago, and since having had a couple of Thai wives the habits become ingrained. Thus it was I was carrying a jacket in preparation for the UK, and was, as I have said, dressed pretty conservatively, but I had nothing on this old fellow.

Fully suited in heavyweight grey flannel, tie, cardigan, neck scarf, cheese-cutter and a full length tweed top coat, all worn fully buttoned and belted, and carrying a brolly!

I think everyone there were like me and felt they were melting at his appearance. :o

jeans and t-shirt for me with thai sandals.

if going to meet someone important or go somewhere up market its shoes trousers, shirt and tie.

when in rayong at the lake its a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops

at home its baggy silk trousers or shorts and a t-shirt

Maybe I’m old fashioned but I cannot understand why most European tourists (and residents!) from young to old men habitually wear a uniform of beach attire in public places. Everyday I see westerners wearing grubby T-shirts or vests and those invariably black and hideous Roman Legionnaire’s sandals. They appear in government offices, banks, hospitals and upmarket shops as if they have dressed for the beach and missed their way.

I learned during my earliest visits to LOS in 1961 that the people of Thailand respect well dressed foreigners. By well dressed I mean a proper shirt, slacks with shoes and socks; smart casual as it is sometimes known.

I wear shorts at home and to the beach but never in other public areas and I feel ashamed at some of the ‘under the table’ comments made by Thai people at the sight of shabbily dressed foreigners. Thais, as you should know are class conscious and see farangs who dress like samlor drivers as inferior. Yes, I know they take your money but not with respect despite the smile.

Japanese tourists (being golf crazy) dress in shorts but invariably wear good shirts and shoes and socks thus managing to look clean and tidy.

Last year I was in Majorca in May. The weather was unseasonably cold and wet and locals and sensible visitors were appropriately dressed. I was shopping in the local produce market when I heard a loud voice with a Scouse accent. I turned and saw a pot bellied man wearing a dirty white T-shirt with the sleeves ripped off to leave ragged edges, dirty swim shorts and flip-flops. The temperature was 8 degrees C! His visible statement, typical of my fellow Brits, was that he was on holiday and regardless of weather he would wear his holiday uniform.

What do you usually wear in public places and why?

I think live has more changes and flexible. Young generation now choose their ways of wearing in casual but comfortable dress. I used to like to dress ( overdress) and felt the tight of the feeling. The heat, the shoes, the socks, the heels and stocking. I like to dress nicely and neat when I am going out. But I dont like to sweat like a soup running over me. When I am at home I wear shorts and sleveless or tank top, but when I am going out I shall wear cooler cotton pants or skirt or linin but in casual look and absolutely feel comfortable and less sweat. When I 'm going to the party or wedding party, then I shall wear very nice dress and evening dress.

I always feel that tourist wear the right dress when they coming to our tropical country. I dont mind if they wear flip flop on the beach town. I will do also. But I shall do feel strange if I see Expat who has been living in Thailand for many years and still wearing shoes and socks ( in this case woman ) and long pants on the beach. I am sure they feel * dress up* but they shall soon got Hongkong Foot soon under the heat of thailand.

Since I have been living in Europe, when I come back home, I shall wear only comfortable and casual dress with cool material. I can wear casual dress that looks really good and very neat too, just to choose the material. I think people should wear what they feel comfortable and not disturb anybody. At least now I know how to loose the tie and feel much much better than years before. :o

Last month in Hong Kong I bought a white Armani tuxedo jacket, with cream satin lapels.

Very nice, (I look like a gigolo). But where am I going to wear it here?

I stick to my 'look'.

Lo and behold my feet......

hehehe..agree with you hehehe. When I come back to my hometown, I bought some very nice dress from Europe ( for *accidential* occation or party or what ever ). But never use them , never even one time. Only sticking on my comfort casual wear and comfort shoes that shows my toes ( at least if I wear those summer sneakers or healty shoes, I paint my toes ..it's a must ) :o

As far as Thai girls go, black skirt (long or short) and white blouse are unbeatable. IMO.

Even Armani couldn't have designed a better uniform for those Thai Uni students hey? :o

:D

Not just students up here, Jai Dee. Most girls w*rking in government departments wear the same "uniform".

:D:D

Absolute eye candy.

:D :D

You see those girls dressed like that and you just can't help but feel young again... or wish you were anyway... :D

A boiled dress shirt with gold cuff-links, black dinner jacket and tie. Starched black trousers with red stripe down the sides and a cummmerband. Argyle socks in fetching shades of blue with black brogues.

I dress for dinner even when I'm alone.

Musn't let standards slip, that's how empires are lost hurumph, hurumph.

Seriously?

T-shirts, or, short sleeve shirts with shorts and flip-flops (all clean) seven days a week.

Edited by Sir Burr

I wear two uniforms...

1) Shirt, tie, trousers and loafers to work.

2) Bermuda style long shorts, collared polo shirt and deck shoes during all other times.

I've never gotten any disapproving from the Thai people in my Bermuda shorts. I'll wear them to restaurants, gov't offices, on the plane / through immigration etc.

If I'm going out at night somewhere "upscale", I'll wear the trousers and loafers with a polo shirt or button down shirt with no tie.

I only wear T shirts at home or to the beach.

Looking at Moogs socks and sandals remind me of my old Maths teacher.

By the way a tip - the look isn't complete without matching tie.

Red socks = red tie, turquoise socks = turquoise tie etc.

Oh and only bright colours for socks and tie; the shirt and trousers have to be fairly light colour and neutral to show off the bright accessories - that's the way he dressed every day!

Sorry for being old fashioned but, shouldn't you wear what you feel comfortable in?

Ok sometimes I wear a vest or what ever in and around the local market. But I always wear shorts and flip flops. To bloody hot for shoes and socks!! Although I must admit I never wear a vest to a shopping mall, usually a T-shirt polo shirt or normal shirt. The only time I wear jeans is if I am going out clubbing. I think you are steriotyping your own countrymen. There are the odd few people that look like full on tourists but the comment "up to them" springs to mind. If you dont feel comfortable wearing this atire then surley its up to you. But why stick your nose up in the air at people who dont care how you or anyone else looks at them. Should they care? What makes you so special that you decide what is good enough to wear in certain places.

Bang......

Thats not old-fashioned, but new-ugly.

old fashioned was always coreectly dressed, the new look is "don't care about you, but I can't be bothered".

I hate to see shorts in towns, so uncool. My husband hated it too, luckily!!

Looking at Moogs socks and sandals remind me of my old Maths teacher.

By the way a tip - the look isn't complete without matching tie.

Red socks = red tie, turquoise socks = turquoise tie etc.

Oh and only bright colours for socks and tie; the shirt and trousers have to be fairly light colour and neutral to show off the bright accessories - that's the way he dressed every day!

If you get really nostalgic, check out:

http://www.sandalandsoxer.co.uk/home.htm

We all dress for our own physical and social comfort. People want to advertise who they are, and older folks do that with clothes that say "I am prim and proper because I am somebody" while younger folks dress to say "I am free to do what I want because I am somebody." There are these glaring differences between the old school and new school, but in the end we all know subtle differences within each, e.g. the levels of expense and refinement in formal dress or the difference between the fashionable and bulk-rate casual attire.

I wear walking shorts and nylon-strapped sandals in the heat of the day, and try to switch to casual slacks in the evening. I'll go into malls and such like this in BKK, but I switch to slacks and black shoes for any government offices and for Don Muang. The improvement in service is obvious when dressed nicely at the airport... I work from home here, so there is no public business uniform.

My biggest struggle is finding nice looking shirts that fit me and have some magical cloth and color which doesn't kill me nor look horrible as soon as the inevitable sweat rivulets start rolling. I chose the wrong one recently and walked around a tourist spot only to realize after that I looked like a Songkran refugee. :o

farang uniform .....ho hummm

just you guys are in dress ...no naked :D  boxer or not who cares

Bambi

I like to dress to fit the area I am going to, wet market I wear lemon grass skirt and hot pink boxers underneath, shirt made of bottle caps and beer tabs held together with multicolored drinking straws you get with every think drinkable in the market. Shoes made of durian hulls, so I don’t slip in the fish guts. :o

For soi two I dress appropriately: post-17667-1124343069_thumb.jpg I usually carry a 25 pound bundle of flowers and have 18 wrist watches 9 on each arm. Also to top off my ensamble I have a large clear plastic jar of mixed nust with crispy fried insects to keep things fresh. :D :D

For immigration I dress so they can understand my needs: post-17667-1124343213_thumb.jpg this way I am in and out in a flash especially on the report the 90 day thingy.

The rest of the time its jeans cowboy boots and a white shirt if I am going to go some place with more than one door. :D

A tie and blazer if I am looking for work.

At home I am comfortable :D

We all dress for our own physical and social comfort. People want to advertise who they are,

What the <deleted> am I saying then? :D

Sorry, didn't realize we've suddenly banned redundancy here on TV... :o

But I think it is silly when people get on their high horse about how people "should" dress. Sure, it helps to know how local tastes and expectations change, but just so the effect is what you intend. These days, I think I attempt to advertise who I am not, rather than to advertise who I am. No matter what, I am a giant farang who doesn't fit in. :D

I like the Chinese attitude that leaves people wandering their local streets in their pajamas. The neighborhood is an extension of the home, not a state function.

Edited by autonomous_unit