Pc Tech

johninbkk

try posting the problem here

when i boot up it reads, as usual verfiying .......da da da... then it goes to A disc read error occorred press ctrl+alt+del to restart. i though if i load windows in the cd rom it would start to re-install the program, but obviously nothing happens. except to restart the same problem

thank you for taking the time to respond to me,

try posting the problem here

when i boot up it reads, as usual verfiying .......da da da... then it goes to A disc read error occorred press ctrl+alt+del to restart. i though if i load windows in the cd rom it would start to re-install the program, but obviously nothing happens. except to restart the same problem

thank you for taking the time to respond to me,

I forgot too mention, it also states NTLRD missing

Sounds like it is not seeing the drive. Could be many reasons for that.

Make model of PC and OS you are using, many of these things can be fixed.

It may be simple as boot order in BIOS got changed, but does not sound like you were the kind of guy to be in there messing with that.

Virus can curpt the Master boot record also.

If it is not a software thing then you will need some parts to swap to find the cause, but see if its just software first.

If you put up the OS XP or Vista etc then one of the window guru can walk you into a restore or repair of MBR if that works and check on boot order etc..

Sounds like it is not seeing the drive. Could be many reasons for that.

Make model of PC and OS you are using, many of these things can be fixed.

It may be simple as boot order in BIOS got changed, but does not sound like you were the kind of guy to be in there messing with that.

Virus can curpt the Master boot record also.

If it is not a software thing then you will need some parts to swap to find the cause, but see if its just software first.

If you put up the OS XP or Vista etc then one of the window guru can walk you into a restore or repair of MBR if that works and check on boot order etc..

I'll tell you the story and u conclude what happen..... My daughter is 5 years of age, she was playing with it, oh it's her's, and next minute the mouse would not work, hmm, i went into control and mouse, no could not do a thing, so off to the local tech, well he did not ask he just re-loaded windows, got it home and realized he did not load office, back to the shop, pick up again turn on and guess what, he loaded office Thai version, took it back and ask to please load english, hmm at this stage he realizes there is mnoney involved, so he asked my wife to pay again, i got hot head said no, so picked it up and look what the A hole did, strange it was working just fine b4, just the mouse problem, so I thought I'd buy windows 7 and load it myself, so herei am today, it's dead........

I'm using, currently xp and office 2003, but i purchased windows 7

Edited by johninbkk

Well it sounds like a lot of hosed up illegal software and he may have messed with bios - easy fix or deleted MBR easy fix - but sounds like you really don't need what ever has been put on there - it maybe better to use win7 or replace the xp installation

I don't know a thing about 7 or vista for that matter I am still using XP but only in limited amount.

Is there information on the drive you need to save?

Still need to tell us about the PC model brand etc so some idea about the hardware involved. Makes a difference as to the options for the cure.

Well it sounds like a lot of hosed up illegal software and he may have messed with bios - easy fix or deleted MBR easy fix - but sounds like you really don't need what ever has been put on there - it maybe better to use win7 or replace the xp installation

I don't know a thing about 7 or vista for that matter I am still using XP but only in limited amount.

Is there information on the drive you need to save?

Still need to tell us about the PC model brand etc so some idea about the hardware involved. Makes a difference as to the options for the cure.

I have problems understanding my mobile let alone the pc. I'm about to duck out for a few hours, so I guess I'll make a posting much later. There is nothing I need to keep on the hand drive. brand, it was made here in Pattaya by DOC or is it DCO near foodland, but they have long gone. I'd be happy just to load win 7

NTLDR is Missing

Make sure that there are no discs in the drives and that all internal cables are firmly seated(you'll need to take the side of the case off to check).

If all is ok, you'll need to set the PC to boot from CD. We don't know the specification of your PC, so forget Windows 7 for the moment. It is a genuine Windows 7 disc with a valid Certificate of Authentication?

Do you have the the Drivers disc that came with the computer? If not, we will have to identify the Motherboard in order to find suitable Drivers for the clean install

All easily done if you are able to follow instruction.

what the A hole did, strange it was working just fine b4, just the mouse problem

No offence, but its people like you that when asked about PC I pretend Im clueless, you fix one problem you are responsible (often the cause) of any other and future problems. Unless you paid 4k plus for the OS reinstall you were given a Thai hacked version and have to expect a bag of <deleted>.

what the A hole did, strange it was working just fine b4, just the mouse problem

No offence, but its people like you that when asked about PC I pretend Im clueless, you fix one problem you are responsible (often the cause) of any other and future problems. Unless you paid 4k plus for the OS reinstall you were given a Thai hacked version and have to expect a bag of <deleted>.

Did you read the entire scenario? It was working fine until my daughter was playing with it pressing as many keys as possible and then the mouse would not work, the tech, without asking deleted everything on the hard drive and re-installed windows…… than when I took it home and boot-up no Win office and entirely new windows series was installed!!!!!!!!!! After waiting 2 weeks and numerous trips to the pickup her pc I was a little frustrated so I did not complain what he did without informing my wife 1st, them on boot up discovered no Office programs. So off to the shop again, an other 3-4 days he had installed office, boot up again, Office Thai version, can’t teach my daughter English if it’s in Thai, my wife rang him and when he found out there was a Foreigner involved he requested more payment, I refused, so here I am now. So what is you beef with me? And if we get to the copy software you mentioned, I have been living and working here for just on 15years, when I had my office in Bkk I wanted to purchase the ORIGNAL WINDOWS ON ALL THE OFFICE PC’S, DO YOU THINK I COULD FIND A SHOP SELLING ORIGINALS? In the end just let the Thai staff take care of this I had more important issues running a new company with al new staff, importing products arguing with customs on back hand payments ,on and on and on, so here I am with this simple problem.

Now when I finally pick up my daughters PC, which let me remind you, was working perfectly 2 days b4, now will not boot cos he wanted to change me twice for the original job. He also insisted he visit our home to do the re-installation, I refused to have him in my home,.

NTLDR is Missing

Make sure that there are no discs in the drives and that all internal cables are firmly seated(you'll need to take the side of the case off to check).

If all is ok, you'll need to set the PC to boot from CD. We don't know the specification of your PC, so forget Windows 7 for the moment. It is a genuine Windows 7 disc with a valid Certificate of Authentication?

Do you have the the Drivers disc that came with the computer? If not, we will have to identify the Motherboard in order to find suitable Drivers for the clean install

Thank you for replying and offering to assist, unlike other morons in this forum who only wish to criticise, shame they don't have a life. As you can see by the picture attached, this is where I'm at. I have checked all leads inside, all attached

post-50331-0-63713100-1291941018_thumb.j

for info ,,,,,,,,The man and shop DCO Computer repair is and has been down south Jomtien .He moved there 4 years ago and is doing well.

The shop is south on SUk to the Chiapruek intersection turn left on Chiapruek and about 100 meters on the right side of street is his shop with a sign in front.

DCO

He still does good work and speaks good English,,,,,,,last time I was there he was very busy.

Sorry John probably come across wrong. My point being that usual IT techs in this country, just pave it (as happened to you) with new OS install, cracked and you'll have problems down the line, when the next service pack is incompatible with crack or your product key is blacklisted. You can get a genuine version of XP/Vista/Win7 from some of larger shops Bannana IT or Invade.co.th. I couldnt care about legitality of non-genuine - its the hassle they cause etc.. If you got important needs, business or daughter coursework etc.. then I suggest get a genuine OS and do install yourself or have someone come to your house and do it. As for the other comment, I get people asking me to fix this or that, usually present a computer with a crack OS, I wont touch it, because inevitable you become responsible for all problems thereafter.

Office isnt part of the OS install so it wouldnt be installed. You can however use OpenOffice, or your daughter is probably entitled to a student edition of Office, again supported and not cracked. As for way forward sounds like either need to give this guy explicit instructions (and unfortunately pay again) or, rather, find someone more competent. How much time have you wasted with this guy? etc.Yes doing it right, and getting someone competent to do will cost you a lot more initially (and it might look as if you've arrived at exact same result), but a couple of months down the line when you got to pay for support again because its now found version is trojan, or crack doesnt work, or MS have tighted WGA then you'll see the benefits.

Edited by beerian

Sorry John probably come across wrong. My point being that usual IT techs in this country, just pave it (as happened to you) with new OS install, cracked and you'll have problems down the line, when the next service pack is incompatible with crack or your product key is blacklisted. You can get a genuine version of XP/Vista/Win7 from some of larger shops Bannana IT or Invade.co.th. I couldnt care about legitality of non-genuine - its the hassle they cause etc.. If you got important needs, business or daughter coursework etc.. then I suggest get a genuine OS and do install yourself or have someone come to your house and do it. As for the other comment, I get people asking me to fix this or that, usually present a computer with a crack OS, I wont touch it, because inevitable you become responsible for all problems thereafter.

Office isnt part of the OS install so it wouldnt be installed. You can however use OpenOffice, or your daughter is probably entitled to a student edition of Office, again supported and not cracked. As for way forward sounds like either need to give this guy explicit instructions (and unfortunately pay again) or, rather, find someone more competent. How much time have you wasted with this guy? etc.Yes doing it right, and getting someone competent to do will cost you a lot more initially (and it might look as if you've arrived at exact same result), but a couple of months down the line when you got to pay for support again because its now found version is trojan, or crack doesnt work, or MS have tighted WGA then you'll see the benefits.

Thank you Ian and sorry I exploded so quickly, Hmm it is happening more often living in Pattaya than when I was posted in Bkk. Maybe it's time for me to pack my bags.

Merry Christmas.

NTLDR is Missing

Thank you for replying and offering to assist, unlike other morons in this forum who only wish to criticise, shame they don't have a life. As you can see by the picture attached, this is where I'm at. I have checked all leads inside, all attached

Your hard drive has fallen back to PIO mode. There are varied reasons as to why this could be so.

Enter the BIOS in order to make sure that the HDD is set to work in UDMA Mode, not PIO and that the machine is set to boot from CD(1st) and then the HDD(2nd).

You could try a clean install in order to check as to whether it is a hardware problem. You'll need a disc. You can use a Linux disc for this. You boot up with this disc. You'll have the choice to run it in memory or to install it to the hard drive. If all is well, we can install XP again.

Alternatively, if it all sounds too much for you, you can re-visit DCO. It's not difficult, but it may sound that way to a novice.

Thank you Ian and sorry I exploded so quickly, Hmm it is happening more often living in Pattaya than when I was posted in Bkk. Maybe it's time for me to pack my bags.

Merry Christmas.

Do you have a valid Certificate of Authenticity sticker on your PC with regards to your copy of Windows XP? If not, you haven't a properly licenced copy of XP either.

As long as you haven't any hardware problems, a clean install of XP will solve all. Forget about Windows 7, your processor and RAM appear inadequate to the task.

Follow these instructions in order to create the Xubuntu Linux disc after downloading and saving it to your hard drive:

Download and save this Xubuntu Disc Image to a working computer.

Next, download and install ImgBurn(No need to install the ASK Toolbar. Remove the relevant tick). Burn the Image to Disc. Use this guide(skip step 2b)

You'll need a blank CD.

If you have changed the boot order as per my earlier instruction, place the newly created disc into the drive and re-boot the computer. When the computer re-starts you will get the option to Boot from CD/DVD. Hit Enter to comply.

If the PC is really for your young daughter, considering installing Edubuntu instead. You'll need a DVD for this one, though I'm not sure if you have a DVD drive on the broken machine. Ideally you'll need at least 512MB RAM. The education value will far outweigh the cost of any upgrades. A new DVD drive(if necessary) and extra RAM should come in at under 1500 baht fitted. If you already have a DVD reader then you can skip that. More RAM can be from a little as a few hundred baht and will bring improvements.

Both Edubuntu and Xubuntu are free and will include the Open Office program, which is at least the equivalent of Office 2003.

It's a good time to try as you have nothing to lose.

More info: http://edubuntu.org/screenshots , http://edu.kde.org/

Merry Christmas.

Do you have a valid Certificate of Authenticity sticker on your PC with regards to your copy of Windows XP? If not, you haven't a properly licenced copy of XP either.

As long as you haven't any hardware problems, a clean install of XP will solve all. Forget about Windows 7, your processor and RAM appear inadequate to the task.

Follow these instructions in order to create the Xubuntu Linux disc after downloading and saving it to your hard drive:

Download and save this Xubuntu Disc Image to a working computer.

Next, download and install ImgBurn(No need to install the ASK Toolbar. Remove the relevant tick). Burn the Image to Disc. Use this guide(skip step 2b)

You'll need a blank CD.

If you have changed the boot order as per my earlier instruction, place the newly created disc into the drive and re-boot the computer. When the computer re-starts you will get the option to Boot from CD/DVD. Hit Enter to comply.

If the PC is really for your young daughter, considering installing Edubuntu instead. You'll need a DVD for this one, though I'm not sure if you have a DVD drive on the broken machine. Ideally you'll need at least 512MB RAM. The education value will far outweigh the cost of any upgrades. A new DVD drive(if necessary) and extra RAM should come in at under 1500 baht fitted. If you already have a DVD reader then you can skip that. More RAM can be from a little as a few hundred baht and will bring improvements.

Both Edubuntu and Xubuntu are free and will include the Open Office program, which is at least the equivalent of Office 2003.

It's a good time to try as you have nothing to lose.

More info: http://edubuntu.org/screenshots , http://edu.kde.org/

Once again, thank you and thank you to all the other respodance. Merry Christmas.