Uk Driving License

BlackGrape

Advice please from UK drivers

I have booked to hire a car in the UK from a reputable hire company in early January for 2 weeks. I have found I have lost my card part of the license and now gonna scramble to get one by the time I arrive (1st Jan by the way). They require 2 parts of the license so I am looking at my options. Been 7 years since back to UK

The option in bold is the advice I am looking for or any other comments

Option 1: Hope they just accept the paper part (already sent email to them and they will get back to me in 5 days..)

Option 2: Apply for replacement and get it sent to me in Thailand from my family back in UK

Option 3: Apply for replacement and get it sent to hire company office for me to pick up when I get the car

Option 4: Use my 5 year Thai license to get an international license (I have googled this to see if it is legal but no joy)

Thanks

Option 4. apply for a replacement licence, I believe you print out a form on line via post office web site, have everything gone via your family uk address. Have your family meet you at the airport or make arrangermnts to pick up a leeter containing your licence t the car hire desk.

Do not let the DLV have any hint that you are long stay (if you are) in Thailand as I believe they will not issue another licence as you are in the hazy non resident eligible for a uk licence.

I am sure there will be other contributors with good advice for you. hope it works out for you.

Cheers

You can get a Thai International licence which is accepted in UK. As stated above unless you can provide proof of residency in the form of utility bill etc I am told that they will not issue a new licence. This was second hand info so not sure how accurate it is.

Option 4. apply for a replacement licence, I believe you print out a form on line via post office web site, have everything gone via your family uk address. Have your family meet you at the airport or make arrangermnts to pick up a leeter containing your licence t the car hire desk.

Do not let the DLV have any hint that you are long stay (if you are) in Thailand as I believe they will not issue another licence as you are in the hazy non resident eligible for a uk licence.

I am sure there will be other contributors with good advice for you. hope it works out for you.

Cheers

Cheers,

I still have my address back home that I can use. No problem. I looked at the DVLA website that I can apply online and am now waiting for my Thai bird to get my driver #. I am currntly working in Korea and not back to BKK until 23rd Dec. Just wondering if you are UK driver if you can get an international license valid in the UK as back up. Don't want to take public transport for a 2 week break..... haha, Steal a car if I have to....

You can use a Thai drivers licence in the UK, no need for an international. see

here

taken from dvla website -

Photocard Driving Licence Holder

Apply by Phone – Fee £17.50

If none of your details have changed you can apply by phone if one or both parts of your photocard licence have been lost or stolen. You have to pay by credit or debit card. The telephone number is 0870 240 0009.

Ring from Monday to Friday 8.00 am - 8.30 pm or Saturday 8.00 am - 5.30 pm. You can’t apply by phone if you have a paper licence holder or if your photo is due to expire or has expired.

Apply by Post - Fee £17.50

Just complete the D1 Pack form. You can get this form from DVLA form ordering service or Post Office branches. Remember to include the part of your licence you have if only one part is missing. You can send the application and fee to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AB.

If you changed your name since your last licence was issued you will need to provide original documents to confirm your new name if it’s changed. DVLA tries to get your licence within 3 weeks of receiving your application when you apply by post.

Dont forget that all uk photocard licences are only valid for 10 years, they require a new photo every ten years.

<SNIP>

You can use a Thai drivers licence in the UK, no need for an international. see

here

<END OF SNIP>

Thanks for this very useful info.

I have had full UK car license for 38 years but have not passed my motorcycle test in the UK but have a Thai motorcycle license which I now know would allow me to drive a motorbike in the UK.

Edited by mxyzptlk

Thanks for the replies,

I have applied for a replacement photocard part. When i did it online, they sent me an email that it is not illegal to drive when waiting for a replacment. Just up to the hire company I suppose.

I looked at your link Steve but cannot see any mention of Thailand. I am resident of the UK (non-resident for tax purposes) so if you have more info on this I would appreciate it.

Cheers

This is taken from my link.

Visitors

Provided your full licence or driving permit remains valid, you may drive vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes and with up to eight passenger seats, for up to 12 months from the date of coming to GB.

I think the problem will be in hiring the car, driving it will be ok on your UK driving licence, as if stopped by the police you will have 5 days to produce it, and the replacement should be with you by then, as you have already applied.

The UK is now awash with speed cameras etc. bare in mind that any fixed penalty tickets, if driving on a foreign licence have to be

dealt with by a court appearance. ( hopefully you will not get any)

Hopefully your replacement licence will arrive in time to hire the car.