Briton Found Naked, Tied To The Bars Of A Cell In Pattaya Police Station

webfact

I'd like the British press to get their teeth into this one. Some b*****ds heads from that Thai police station and the British consul in Pattaya need to roll for this. The lads from the consul turned up pretty sharp when they heard a charitable person had come to take responsibility for the guy.....fair play to the lady, England can be proud of her.......and to the lads from the consul, you are worthless scum for letting this happen..........end of rant.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

THe incompetent underbelly of Thailand

where was Howard Miller? - surely with his connections with the police he must have known about this man?

Exactly. I'm ashamed to be a Brit.

Maybe FCO rules forbade any 'official' action but Howard could have publicised this via his media empire here in Pattaya.

Or indeed given the poor man a pair of old shorts. God forbid I ever need any Consular assistance.

Can you imagine the uproar from Thai people if this happened to a Thai national in the U.K. ?

You're right about that one! This is disgusting and another case of Thais looking at farang as simply inferior. The Land of Smiles... (to be fair, the police probably were smiling as they stripped this mental health patient and chained him to the bars of a prison cell).

And great to see the British Embassy looking out for its citizens abroad.

Edited by ChiangMaiThai

as a Brit this is a disgusting story, i thought consul had been replaced by well kown Pattaya resident, note the omission of hounary, one before same catergory. only decent one was D Covey in Samui. this should cost somebody in Bangkok there job. time they all read the mission statement again.

Wait wait, so the Thai police creates a problem and the UK Embassy/Consul has to solve it?

As far as I know, Embassies do have a strict policy on those cases, and if a UK citizen is "impounded" in a police cell, he may have not been registered.

All the blame goes to the Royal Thai Police and the Pattaya Police in specific; did the victim has aids? was this tested? why was the prisoner naked? did he do that himself? all questions.........and of course no answers.

It clearly staes in the article that the UK embassy was aware of this man and consular assistance was underway. What also is self evident is that this man was shown no empathy or compassion by any of the authorities, be they Thai or foreign. I agree its a disgusting event and one all parties invoved should be ashamed of, there is no justification for this. What is also depressing is the cold black hearted comment by some posters. It was great to see that some cared enough to get involved and resolved the issue.

Edited by waza

First, it is most certainly wrong for any organisation in a position like a foreign delegation to Assume that local authorities are adhering to international standards when dealing with their own countries citizens. It seems to me that an important part of their duty is to ensure that this happens. OK, fair point. Whilst they should be able to assume that the Thai authorities are adhering to international standards, they cannot take this assumption for granted. However they cannot just barge into every prison and police cell area to check conditions, not sure they would be allowed to do so. I suspect this though of thing would have to be taken up at a fairly high level.

Second, I do not believe that British delegations are in any way responsible for Hong Kong nationals. Even twenty years ago, I discovered that a Hong Kong national working with me in China could get no assistance or recognition from the British staff because he was travelling on Chinese papers. I am sure that now (Hong Kong is part of China) any Hong Kong resident would be treated the same as any Chinese citizen – unless he had a British Passport. I do know for a fact that the prison team have responsibility for Hong Kong Nationals, I have visited some, I'm not sure of the status of these people, maybe they hold British National Overseas passports that some Hong Kong nationals were entitled to after the hand over, I'm not sure.

apparently this is how the Thai treat mentally ill people. Just two weeks ago in the Sunday Bangkok Post was an article about an Islamic run insane asylum, the "patients" were chained like animals and sleeping on either the floor or wooden boards. Upon asking a Thai friend of mine her opinion regarding this, "it's OK" she said "this is how to look after those kind of people". You tie up an animal when you can't look after it, and it seems this Brit was considered just another animal roaming the streets of Thailand.

This is really pathetic behavior on the part of the Thai, this chaining up of people. Frequently is it included as a theme or plot in the sorry Thai TV dramas. I guess it is real. If it's on TV, it must be OK. Fortunately there will be no repercussions for the Thai police and nobody will lose face. Just another day in Thai life, probably should have never been here in the first place. :realangry:

post-28113-0-92330900-1291864103_thumb.j

Sad to see this happen why weren't his family advised

His family either disowned him years ago or are exactly like him. There are tens of thosands of people like this in the UK. They are mostly beyond help. When people like this have whole families just like them. Just visit one of the countless council housing estates in Britain. There's not much th consule can do. In the UK they are left to sleep rough. These people don't want help, they just want to take drugs and alcohol 24/7.

I don't understand why people are shocked. If you see someone like this lying in the street in the UK, or anywhere else, no-one stops to help.

If it's so shocking to you, then do something about helping these people. There are tens of thousand that you could help. In fact the UK has over 300,000 heroin addicts. That's a good place for you to start,

Pattaya - what do you expect?

I thought the Embassy or the Consul were informed of people placed in jails if they were British citizens.

I also remember the British Embassy advertising for someone to check up on all British prisoners in Thai jails, the person who took that job has only just started.

A few people best hang their heads in shame.

Well done to Tracy.

Are you really belive there is much time left for the Embassy staff to take care for issues like these? There are much more important things to do. Lunch, Dinners, Receptions, talks about next holidays etc. etc. A single human beeing will not bother the suits in no Embassy in Thailand. I made same experiences with the german Embassy in Sri Lanka once when my best friend died there in a motobike accident. They told me to wait until they finished their lunch and just let me in after I went bananas.

I am sure this poor guy is not a single incident in LoS....all the best to him, at least he is a human.

I agree with you completely. The diplomats are all too busy attending functions at 5 star hotels and the like (and in some cases, it is seems spying for their home countries) to deal with something as trivial as this. Disgusting. Shame on you British Embassy.

as a Brit this is a disgusting story, i thought consul had been replaced by well kown Pattaya resident, note the omission of hounary, one before same catergory. only decent one was D Covey in Samui. this should cost somebody in Bangkok there job. time they all read the mission statement again.

Wait wait, so the Thai police creates a problem and the UK Embassy/Consul has to solve it?

As far as I know, Embassies do have a strict policy on those cases, and if a UK citizen is "impounded" in a police cell, he may have not been registered.

All the blame goes to the Royal Thai Police and the Pattaya Police in specific; did the victim has aids? was this tested? why was the prisoner naked? did he do that himself? all questions.........and of course no answers.

It clearly staes in the article that the UK embassy was aware of this man and consular assistance was underway. What also is self evident is that this man was shown no empathy or compassion by any of the authorities, be they Thai or foreign. I agree its a disgusting event and one all parties invoved should be ashamed of, there is no justification for this. What is also depressing is the cold black hearted comment by some posters. It was great to see that some cared enough to get involved and resolved the issue.

But no-one cares enough to help before these people end up in a police cell. What have you done recently to help smackheads, crackheads, alcoholics or others? They are sleeping rough around all cities. I don't see anyone helping. How about you start volunteering instead of slating the comments on here. These people choose this way of life.

I agree with you completely. The diplomats are all too busy attending functions at 5 star hotels and the like (and in some cases, it is seems spying for their home countries) to deal with something as trivial as this. Disgusting. Shame on you British Embassy.

You know this for a fact do you?

Agree this is a total disgrace and outrageous.

There is a British Embassy rep so called who is responsible for Pattaya and rather than remaining silent he should make a public statement explaining in detail why there was gross neglect in not assisting the British citizen concerned and it fell to the efforts of a private individual to provide help.

I would also pay tribute to the reporter for bringing this story to our attention.

It may well be of course that the so called British Embassy rep or Consul or whatever he is called has from his perspective more important matters to attend to such as his business interests, or chooses to stay mute as there is no answer to a clear case of incompetence etc by Embassy staff or representatives.

Edited by homeseeker

Costs them almost nothing to give the guy some food and clothes those guys at the embassy are making English wages in Thailand. The money to supply it even out of their own pockets would be nothing to them.

The advert for a new member of the prison visit team offerred a salary of about 32,000 Baht a month, hardly English wages.

But no-one cares enough to help before these people end up in a police cell. What have you done recently to help smackheads, crackheads, alcoholics or others? They are sleeping rough around all cities. I don't see anyone helping. How about you start volunteering instead of slating the comments on here. These people choose this way of life.

I provide assistance to many of these people, its a lot harder than turning a blind eye, but more rewarding. People choose to be mentally ill? Many take drugs and alcohol to numb the symptoms. There by the grace of god.......

In the course of my travels I have had dealings with several British embassies, in my opinion they are a waste of the taxpayer's money. as to Honorary Consuls, they are simply ineffective self seeking busy bodies.

I agree my experience is that they exist to do business "help" so they can get perks back handers jobs afterwards and sometimes handfuls of cash

Can you imagine the uproar from Thai people if this happened to a Thai national in the U.K. ?

You've got it the wrong way around.

No, I can't imagine there'd be much concern.

...and now that this story has hit the news, it will cause an uproar.

Edited by tropo

What exactly are you guys expecting the consulate to do?

You are abroad, you are not in the UK anymore.

How about get him out of the dungeon hes in.. Contact family.. Even pay for repatriation..

Pay for repatriation? Yeah, that'll happen...when hell freezes over. There is policies in place and no wiggle-room on the lower levels.

Thai people don't treat thier dogs this bad. Just goes to show where the farang comes on the pecking order. I could not possibly imagine a western country treating a Thai citizen like this they would receive medical and psych help and treated with a little respect that humans should.

Without any friends and family which you could rely on to supply you with food and other necessities while in a prison cell in this country you are screwed.

The police and the system here do usually not care - even if your crime is maybe to have stolen a 500 Baht - you are branded a "criminal" most people are totally indifferent to what is happening to you. There is usually no compassion shown for another human being here.

The attitude in general is "not my problem" - and "why should I care!"

About two years ago in Chiang Mai, a young Thai man at the age of 19 was arrested by police and kept in a police station cell - he had no friends or family he could contact for help.

A policeman I know felt sorry for the young man and at least supplied him with some extra food his wife had prepared for him.

The young man had committed no major crime - and without friends and family to contact or any outside support, without knowing his rights or being able to get legal representation - he would never dare to ask for it anyway -he became so desperate and took his own life one night in the prison cell.

He was declared a suicide, cremated and forgotten about - the policeman on watch who had not noticed anything until the next morning was transferred to another station.

I wonder how many cases like this happen over the years in this country - and this has nothing to do with being Farang or Thai.

It is the indifference with which strangers are treated be they Thai or foreign - there are only very few who will show compassion for another human being they have never met before.

Thank you for helping out Tracy - you are truly an angel!

So you people here instead of blaming the police, the embassy, consulate or whoever - next time you read a horror story like this why don't you put out an urgent call for help and get together and respond.

At least - if you are able - support people like Tracy and organizations like Mellisa Cosgrove Children's Foundation - they show that action speaks louder then words!

(you can still name and shame the authorities who haven't done anything to help afterwards)

This is what a forum like this should be about not the endless complaints about who's fault it is - who knows you might find yourself in a situation where you need help in the future - but most of all it feels great to get together and help out another human being in distress!

Edited by Cnxforever

I made same experiences with the german Embassy in Sri Lanka once when my best friend died there in a motobike accident. They told me to wait until they finished their lunch and just let me in after I went bananas.

Your friend would still have been dead even if they were allowed to finish their lunch...

Let's start with a fresh case where the outcome is unknown. I know another Englishman who is here in Pattaya without a passport or a visa. He thinks he's a pretty clever guy, making such remarks as "There is nothing to just going out and spending your money and paying full price for beer, women and other things. But it's a lot more fun to do it on little or nothing. And that's exactly what he does. If you find him in a bar, he asks you for a drink but never reciprocates and his reason for asking is, "YOu have money. I don't." He wound up owing at least three of my friends some money and he's had the opportunity to pay them back as the money owed has been in small amounts up to 1000 baht. Since then he's had a number of jobs. He might have paid the guys back and that would have led to more work for him. I have a good English friend who makes a point of going out drinking with him once a week or so, and of course it's my friend who's always paying the bill. Meanwhile I'm thinking it's inevitable that the Thai authorities will be catching up with this man, and when he gets hauled into the monkey house, what then? The authorities will either expect a huge fine out of him or they are going to want to deport him but who's going to pay his airfare then. My guess is he'd be calling up his loyal drinking partner who would then be faced with one of two choices. 1. Either he lets his pal rot in a cell, or 2. He ponies up the money required to get him back to England or to pay off the authorities and then get a new passport, Thai visa, etc, if this were possible. This man knows fully well what he is doing. He thought he was being clever by not renewing his passport, getting the necessary visa, etc. He's an intelligent educated man. Instead he let the passport expire at least five years ago and I am clueless about when he last renewed his visa. In the meantime he's asked all those around him to bail him out, and this includes at least one Thai girlfriend he shared a room with. She'd go out and sell herself. Meanwhile he left it up to her to pay all the rent, the utilities, etc until she finally kicked him out. So.....who should incur the expense of getting him back to the U.K. when he finally gets found out, 1. The British tax payer, 2. Our mutual English friend who goes out drinking with him on a weekly basis or 3. The Thai government?

Edited by jackcorbett

I thought the Embassy or the Consul were informed of people placed in jails if they were British citizens.

I also remember the British Embassy advertising for someone to check up on all British prisoners in Thai jails, the person who took that job has only just started.

A few people best hang their heads in shame.

The recently advertised job was to replace somebody from The Embassy who is retiring shortly, so might not have even taken up post yet.

There is a team at the British Embassy who look after the interests of those in prison and police custody as well of those in Immigration Detention throughout the whole of Thailand and Laos, and there have been numerous reports that they actually do a very a pretty good job in very difficult circumstances. I don't know if the members of the team are even allowed into the custodial areas. It would be up to the Thai authorities to notify Consular Officials when one of their nationals is detained, it would seem to me that the Consular staff may not have been informed about this unfortunate chap.

What Andrew Drummond has reported is an absolute disgrace and a shocking indictment on the lack of care provided by the Thai authorities, they should be t

horoughly ashamed of themselves.

This is surely discusting, in our day and age it should be a no no . Pending any consular visits or not, the country involved HAS to ensure reasonable comfort whilst in custody.....he has no money---so they are not interested--Ha normal behavier. plastic bottle for his head. chained as he BELIEVED to be infected.....I,ve seen better picures from BELSON. He should be given medication by the police--and isolated if possible. NO clean SECOND HAND CLOTHES AVAILABLE. no Help from the Golfing fraternity--or other organiing farrang bodies in Pattaya, ( he,s not in your league-is he) come on you weathy -and normally critical spokespersons. on all topics--the know alls to put the worrld right.............get your name on the map for a change--instead of picking up browny points on forum. This makes me feel sick----you have so many committees down there --and not one for help your own people--SHAME

'Might not have taken up post'. "Consular staff may not have been informed". 'numerous reports that they do a pretty good job" et. etc. Can you verify such reports? This particular situation would not seem to fit with your assumptions. If you don't know whether they are/are not allowed into custodial areas then probably best not to comment on things that are based on guesswork, opinion or bias! (Do you have a personal interest here by any chance?).

It would seem to me the police were waiting for The British Embassy to get off their ***ess and do something for this poor guy. Not sure it is the Thai authorities who should be ashamed of themselves on this one TBF!

British Embassy.................... :realangry:

If it is that bad then indeed why are you here and why do you denigrate the country?

Isn't it bad? Perhaps you need to take your head out of the sand.

I'm sure many people come here with rose coloured glasses which start to lose their power as they learn what really goes on.

These type of incidents can lead many to reaccess why they are here.

My emotion, what the <deleted> am I doing here living in this Cesspit of a country, disgusting Thailand. The police are also the biggest problem here, they are a disgrace they are!

Time to go back to mom. Have a save trip.

This is totally horrific! This should be in the UK press so the Brits going on holiday are aware of the assistance they may receive.

Or more likely not receive, I have traveled to many countries and had dealing with a few British Embassies/Consulates and I feel that the British Embassy in Thailand are way down in the efficiency ratings.