Is It Standard Practice To Charge For Broken Glass At Restaurants?

tangcoral

You sound like those sorts of parents that sits by and watches their kids break other kids expensive toys and say "oh gee whiz,look at that" and not do a thing about it

More likely he was trying to teach the kid to play frisby by seeing how far he could throw the plates!

crazy.gif

well i must say, at 45 baht a throw it is cheap entertainment..you dont get that at Patpong

maybe we will see a spate of copycat chrimes :lol: :lol:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just a little curious here, in writing your Post you acknowledge this is a restaurant that serves 500+ people a day, but you fail to add that the "restaurant" is indeed inside (or part thereof) of the Foodland chain of supermarkets, which other posters may not know.

After all, its a pretty significant detail to have left out?

Anyway, if your kid had broken a glass that he/she knocked off the shelves, would you have called the staff and offered to pay for the damage? seeing how they would also have to suffer the inconvenience of cleaning up all the mess, or would you have scampered off into the next aisle hopingly un-noticed? aka thai style?

Also if you had got to the checkout and found yourself 45 baht short of your shopping bill, do you think it would be unreasonable for them to be reluctant to let you off the hook for the mere 45 baht?

Also i wonder what you were doing for the 30 seconds you watched your child do what was always going to be inevitable? Dont parents usually hold breakables and hand feed the kiddy in this situation,thus foreseeing the obvious?

You sound like those sorts of parents that sits by and watches their kids break other kids expensive toys and say "oh gee whiz,look at that" and not do a thing about it

Correct, I didn't acknowledge that Tok le dee is inside or part of Foodland as I didnt know what the significance of that is, could you care to tell me why such detail is significant?

Call me the evil one, but no, I would have not offered to pay for something as insignificant as a small soup bowl.

Now if I knocked over an expensive vase, I would have expected to be billed and yes I would have offered to pay.

Those 30 secs went by looking at the menu, putting a bib on the kid and telling my other 5 yr old to hurry and decide what he wanted to eat.

Preoccupied? Yes

I admitted in my original post it was my fault.

It was careless on my part, but it still was an accident.

Just wasn't used to having to pay for the bowl when it was an accident.

Thought it would been easily brushed off and forgiven.

Other thoughts: If it was a small business that was trying to make ends meet, I would understand.

This establishment serves over 500+ patrons a day.

Was 45 baht trying to teach the parents a lesson as it happens quite that often?

Are the employees that made the poor judgment and served a glass bowl to a toddler really accountable for all damages?

I'm very doubtful that some of these points raised by other posters was the restaurant's objective or policy.

The more I think of it, the more ridiculous and poor business practice it becomes.

No right or wrong answer to their policy but I am sure majority would agree with me.

Edited by tangcoral