Non 0 Marriage Visa Extension

Hi again

Sorry about this but new situation has arisen and now i seek more information that appears otherwise impossible to get hold of (even after phoning my local immigration office and asking in thai what my options are)...

So..

my non0 1 year marriage visa extension is under consideration (as stamped in my passport). The date by which I need to contact the office again is marked as 26th Jan 2011.

The date of expiriny of my old non0 1 year marriage extension is 27th December ( I applied early because I am expecting to leave the country early January on work trip).

I now have been asked to work again next week and this means I would need to travel to China.

I called my immigration office in Maehongson and they said I need to apply for a 'exit stamp' of some kind to allow me to leave and come back suring this period of my application being under consideration.

Here is the issue. I am in Chiang Mai now and plan not to travel back to Maehongson before leaving the country to China. I asked if i could apply for this 'exit stamp' in Chiang Mai instead and they were unable to answer. Its now a public holiday tomorow (friday) and I have to leave the country on Tuesday am (14th) leaving only Monday to sort this out (I also need to get my Chinese visa on the monday meaning that I need to stay in Chiang Mai). So, can I get this exit stamp if I my visa is 'under consideration' from the Maehongson office???

Anyone>?

Cheers

... and in my new passport the have stamped a NON-RE (admitted 15th Oct, until 27th Dec).. This is above the statement that states 'Maehongson immigration office application of stay is under consideration of the immigration bureau applicant must contact this office again in person on 26 Jan'

Does this mean I can still use my NON-RE visa until the 27th Dec? Or do I still need to apply for exit?

Difficulty is that I cannot get to Maehongson before i have to leave the country. The only option I have is to go to chiang mai immigration office this monday and hope that they can resolve my issue.

Otherwise I guess I just have to leave and then what? What happens when I get back? I'll only be out the country for 5 days so would still be within the old visa date of the 27th Dec,

Thanks if anyone can help

Re-entry permits can only be issued by the office that issued the extension of stay.

As far as i know, your multi entry would still be valid, unless it has been cancelled, this would give you a 90 day permission to stay stamp if you arrive before the 27th december, but it should have been transferred to your new passport, if you do go this route, you would have to start the extension of stay process all over again, within the 90 day permission to stay period.

So it looks like your between the devil and the deep blue sea. it would seem that as many posters advise on TV, always obtain a re-entry permit at the time of obtaining your yearly extensions.

Edited by steve187

If there is no way you can obtain a re-entry permit prior to leaving, then it would seem you will have to chance using the multi entry non 'o', in your old passport, if that fails they will give you a 30 day visa exempt entry, which could be converted to a visit thai wife extension, and then reapply for a yearly extension, you should be ok getting on the flight as the airline would think that the multi entry is still valid (i think)

If there is no way you can obtain a re-entry permit prior to leaving, then it would seem you will have to chance using the multi entry non 'o', in your old passport, if that fails they will give you a 30 day visa exempt entry, which could be converted to a visit thai wife extension, and then reapply for a yearly extension, you should be ok getting on the flight as the airline would think that the multi entry is still valid (i think)

thanks Steve

i guess this is the worst case scenario, which isn't too bad considering..

My multi entry visa is part of a marriage extension so it only ever goes up to the 27th Dec. I only hope that this still works coz then nothing needs to be done/changed

You have a new permitted to stay date so a re-entry permit needs to be issued for that - the old date is no longer valid. Could you still use it? Maybe but I doubt it.

You can ask Chiang Mai about a re-entry permit - it is not normal but some exceptions have been reported.

If unable to obtain a re-entry permit you would return on a visa exempt entry (30 days by air) and would have to then make application of change to non immigrant entry and then make one year extension of stay again. Or just stay on the 30 day entry until your January trip and try to obtain a non immigrant visa for return.

It is not a major problem unless you were using 3 years on extension of stay as qualification for PR process - it would end the stay.

You have a new permitted to stay date so a re-entry permit needs to be issued for that - the old date is no longer valid. Could you still use it? Maybe but I doubt it.

You can ask Chiang Mai about a re-entry permit - it is not normal but some exceptions have been reported.

If unable to obtain a re-entry permit you would return on a visa exempt entry (30 days by air) and would have to then make application of change to non immigrant entry and then make one year extension of stay again. Or just stay on the 30 day entry until your January trip and try to obtain a non immigrant visa for return.

It is not a major problem unless you were using 3 years on extension of stay as qualification for PR process - it would end the stay.

thanks for clearing this up, i'll give chiang mai a go

by the way, i still have a valid multiple entry permit until the 27th Dec 2010. It is actually on my old passport but i had to renew passports recently.

cheers

Do you mean visa, when you say permit

yes, its a non-o marriage extension that I got last year and with that i got a multiple entry visa. I am in the process of renewing or extending this non-o marriage extension, which is why i've found myself in this situation. I had to apply early because i'm leaving the country early Jan but then i found out i also have to leave the country on this Tuesday too..

Although no confirmation yet there is a post on re-entry permits being available again at the airport in Bangkok.

http://www.thaivisa....-airport-again/

looks promising.. but confused as to why we can apply for re entry at the airport but not at an immigration office different to where we applied for the visa extension/..

sadly, it looks like this office is only open in the day and that makes it impossible for me to get there in time,..

thanks for the link tho

one other thing

while an application for a nonO marriage extension is under consideration are you sure you can apply for a single or multiple entry permit? I did ask if I could have mine in Maehongson when i applied for the extension but they said i couldn't have it then..

1. I suspect they replied to say you could not obtain a normal re-entry permit valid for the period you did not yet have. It would only be valid for the 30 day period so most people would want to wait until after final approval to obtain. That said I have never attempted to obtain.

2. I see no indication re-entry would be limited to day hours at airport. It never was in the past and that office works a 24 hour schedule.

1. I suspect they replied to say you could not obtain a normal re-entry permit valid for the period you did not yet have. It would only be valid for the 30 day period so most people would want to wait until after final approval to obtain. That said I have never attempted to obtain.

2. I see no indication re-entry would be limited to day hours at airport. It never was in the past and that office works a 24 hour schedule.

OK, this could be good then! could save my application.. thanks

Chiang Mai granted me the re-entry.. not many questions asked either. so pretty pleased about it really

thanks for all the advice