Passing Checkpoints Up North

monkeyofdoom

I have passed those checkpoints a decent number of times on a few trips up north.. and I have never been stopped. I didn't have a number plate on my bike in july and from what I understood - the police could not have bothered less.

It might be that I don't have enough experience in this matter though.

Lets wait for one of the locals to answer - or else you might ask your question on GT-riders site instead..

I have passed those checkpoints a decent number of times on a few trips up north.. and I have never been stopped. I didn't have a number plate on my bike in july and from what I understood - the police could not have bothered less.

Lets wait for one of the locals to answer - or else you might ask your question on GT-riders site instead..

Just back from CM- Pai-MHS-Khun Yuam- Doi Inthanon ( 15th)

Most of the old check points are not manned and the 2 or three that are couldn't be bothered. Only one was active, checking a bus

Chances are you'll be fine.

I've travelled that route many times, both on a bike and in a car,only once got stopped by the forestry people once on the way out of Doi Inthanon ( in a car)

I've been living in Chiang Mai for 7 years & done plenty of riding around the north in that time. A couple years ago there was a brief period of time when the police in town were very interested in bikes w/o plates - many were impounded. Haven't heard of anything like that recently. The vast majority of times I've come across checkpoints in the north, I'm simply waved through (I always raise my visor in advance so the police can see my white face. Often they seem too shy to bother speaking with me.) A few times I've been asked to show my license. Only once that I can remember were they interested in looking at my plate & tax sticker. That was in the city.

On some back roads very close to the Burmese border I've had to stop & register my passport number with army checkpoints, but in my experience these guys are very freindly & couldn't care less about bike registration, etc.

Nong Kai 2 months ago, Police check point, all vehicles without white plate and reg book (copy accepted) where inpounded. Redplates within 30 days and redplatebook where allowed to continue. I provided my Highway Police ID and was explained they where bored of the flow of vehicles stolen in Laos used here, and stolen in Thailand used in Laos

Bit different comparing a new main dealer sold Kwaker.. To some bitsa grey import parts bike without a plate..

This is pretty much what I expected and hoped for. Passing checkpoints on my Ninja 250R with plate they didn't seem at all interested in the plate. Maybe it's just not their job to enforce license plates. I'll try heading up to Phrao on the 1001 and see how that goes :-)

This is pretty much what I expected and hoped for. Passing checkpoints on my Ninja 250R with plate they didn't seem at all interested in the plate. Maybe it's just not their job to enforce license plates. I'll try heading up to Phrao on the 1001 and see how that goes :-)

I live in Chiang Rai and the only place i have been stopped on a regular basis is at the checkpoint north of Tak, traveling both ways, i even had an incident traveling in my pickup when the cop reached inside to massage my tummy, nice though it was i was later told he was suggesting to me i was plump and he was hungry and needed some tea money ;)