How To Celebrate My Girlfriend'S B-Day...

GPR

Hello everybody :-)

Need some help here...

Me and my girlfriend are living in Chiang mai for the last 5 months.

Now, her birthday's coming and we're having trouble finding something special to do...

Normally we would go to a nice restaurant, spend a day at a spa or spend a weekend in a nice hotel but here it's what we do all the time so what's so special about that?

We thought about bunjy jumping but it's too extreme for us...

We thought about a baloon flight but it's too expensive... (16,000 THB for a one hour experience??)

A night cruise at the ping river is too touristy for us...

Any other nice romantic ideas?

You really don't deserve to have a girlfriend if you cannot think of something romantic on your own. Only you should know what your girlfriend would like. What is romantic for one woman is different for another.

Tell you what, give me your girlfriends phone number. I will take her out and then tell you what she likes.

Ok, I am being a little retarded. But seriously only you should know what she wants.

You really don't deserve to have a girlfriend if you cannot think of something romantic on your own. Only you should know what your girlfriend would like. What is romantic for one woman is different for another.

Tell you what, give me your girlfriends phone number. I will take her out and then tell you what she likes.

Ok, I am being a little retarded. But seriously only you should know what she wants.

I was going to say that but it's too obvious...

You are right though.

A motel and a bottle of gin always works and far cheaper than champagne...........

Edited by eek
inappropriate comment

philw, your post required moderation, but have decided on no further action. The comment was highIy inappropriate.

GoogIe ads generates ads on TV.

If you wish to discuss this, pIease contact support[at]thaivisa.com

Good Iuck with your gfs birthday OP.

nah guys your'e getting it all wrong...

we were looking together for something special to do.

it's not a surprise or something.

a surprise will come regardlessly and for that I don't need help :-)

I was just curious about cool things to do in chiang mai that I may not know about like....i don't know...maybe a special show? or a very romantic trip to do in the area? maybe a REALLY special restaurant with something out of the ordinary about it?

personally I thought bunjy jumping will an unforgettable experience but she's too stressed about it so...

Anybody??

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun GPR,

We'd recommend a dinner at the Huan Suntaree restaurant, perhaps in the outside area nearer the river, unless it is too cool for you there, where, in addition to great Thai food:

... everyone we've taken there has been "enchanted" by the venue, the music, and the Thai food ... back in the olden days. when we had taste buds. and used to go to Khun Suntaree's old place, still on the west side of Ping, but before the superhighway, we felt, often, we had the best Thai food ever there ...

You can listen to Khun Suntaree Vejanon herself singing (usually starts about 9PM, every night except Sunday) the old songs of Lanna (in the cam meung dialect) with lovely acoustic guitar accompaniment. Sometimes her daughter, Lanna Commins, a musician with her own reputation inside, and outside, Thailand, will be there and sing also. Khun Suntaree has a distinctive voice, hard to describe, but at times reminding me of the Native American singer Buffy St. Marie of long ago (but without the vibrato).

One time, maybe four years ago, when we took a party of visitors, there were puppeteers manipulating very large puppets in time to the music: that's absolute magic if you're lucky enough they are there the night you come. No idea if those puppeteers perform there now. You can see some discussion of those puppeteers here :

From old notes: please check on-line for accuracy:

Huan Suntaree Vejanon

Tel : 053-872707/8. 081-5305310

208 Ampher Partan, Chiang Mai 50300

Tel: 053-872707/8

Fax : 053-872706

best, ~o:37;

It's lame responses like this that deter folks from asking questions on this forum. The guy was clearly after ideas on unique things to do in the region as opposed to pointers on romanticism!

For our wedding anniversary this year I took my wife for a night at The Chedi and a four hands 2 hour massage.

Normally a night at The Chedi is 14k ,just for the room, but they have some good deals available right now, although that was in August, I don't know what the price is now.

I got the massage as a 2 for 1, so with dinner and breakfast the bill was around 15k.

She loved it :)

"It's lame responses like this that deter folks from asking questions on this forum. The guy was clearly after ideas on unique things to do in the region as opposed to pointers

on romanticism!"

It was just tongue and cheek.

But my final statement is true. Asking for romantic ideas from strangers who do not know either person is not a recipe for success.

How do we know what they think is romantic.

No woman that I have ever dated found champagne and roses romantic. They find it to be trite and rehearsed. The other responses about Gold and other things are pretty lame also.

Most are assuming that his GF is Thai.

I also don't think that dropping a large sum of money is romantic either.

Some of the most memorable times I have had were a simple picnic and a nice day. But I do like Orange's suggestion. That does like nice.

Absolutely, I got exactly what you need: Fly to Luang Prabang for a night or 2. It's the most romantic city in SE Asia bar none, it has tons of VERY NICE hotels and restaurants, and it has lots of very nice not-so-touristy stuff to do too. And it's a 1 hour flight from CM, around 2,500 baht each way per person.

Fly to Luang Prabang ... snip ... around 2,500 baht each way per person.

Sawasdee Khrup Khun Nikster,

Current Laos Air round-trip CM to LP fare for one adult leave Dec. 20 return Dec. 27 : 375.30 US$. To our knowledge in the past year the fares have never been lower than around 10k baht for a round-trip. But, who knows, there may have been "specials" in the "low season."

best, ~o:37;

nah guys your'e getting it all wrong...

we were looking together for something special to do.

it's not a surprise or something.

a surprise will come regardlessly and for that I don't need help :-)

I was just curious about cool things to do in chiang mai that I may not know about like....i don't know...maybe a special show? or a very romantic trip to do in the area? maybe a REALLY special restaurant with something out of the ordinary about it?

personally I thought bunjy jumping will an unforgettable experience but she's too stressed about it so...

Anybody??

Why don't you take her to a live show? Very entertaining.

http://www.playhouse-chiangmai.com/

- Camp on Doi Inthanon for a day or two, bring along a cooler of food and cook for yourselves

- Stay on a Floating House in Mae Ngat Dam up in Mae Dtaeng, or equally well on the Bhumibol Reservoir down in Tak - more exotic! Off the beaten path, less karaoke, plus if you go down to Li, not Doi Tao, you are inside a national park with an info center and some trails.

- Go to one of the more fancy short-time love hotels in town, one with theme rooms ! (City life ran an article on it a yr or so ago, may have to google. I think the fancier one is up by Wat Jet Yod, though not sure. Anybody ? Maybe RTD has to go investigate too!)

If she's Thai, buy her some dried squid. Her love for you will only be seconded by her love for dried squid.

If she likes desserts, go to "W by Wanlamun". I assume you can take it to go, but if you want to eat there, they serve a variety of dishes. We thought the Thai food was pretty good and nicely presented. You can eat indoors or outdoors. We originally went there on Ulysses G recommendation on a post last year.

i would recommend a trip to pai- in the regular little local bus from arcade with the door and windows open rattling over the mountain passes with local and baskets of produce etc,it is really nice this time of year and the lower temperatures there always bring the wife and myself together under the blanket at night.

nice serene landscapes ,hot springs (boiling egggs) and waterfall .a little hiking and a nice meal,always works for us. acteually i'm over due,,,,

see you there!:rolleyes:

For our wedding anniversary this year I took my wife for a night at The Chedi and a four hands 2 hour massage.

Normally a night at The Chedi is 14k ,just for the room, but they have some good deals available right now, although that was in August, I don't know what the price is now.

I got the massage as a 2 for 1, so with dinner and breakfast the bill was around 15k.

She loved it :)

15,000 ? :o

That's sinsot where I come from

Having a massage next to each other? Spa? There are packages for a couple of hours for 2-3k.

i would recommend a trip to pai- in the regular little local bus from arcade with the door and windows open rattling over the mountain passes with local and baskets of produce etc,it is really nice this time of year and the lower temperatures there always bring the wife and myself together under the blanket at night.

nice serene landscapes ,hot springs (boiling egggs) and waterfall .a little hiking and a nice meal,always works for us. acteually i'm over due,,,,

see you there!:rolleyes:

Any recommendations for accommodations? It sounds so gooooood...

I suggest that you take your girl friend to the bar complex in the Loi Kroh road in which they have the Muay Thai Boxing.

Be sure to sit in front of the Marina Bar. That way you can get a got look at the Lady Boy Cabaret show from that bar. This show is free.

Alternatively you can find out if any bar is having a special licensed viewing of a sporting event.

Then be sure to arrive early at that bar in order to get the best seats.

Treat her to a shared bottle of water. Be sure to smile and say thank you and please. Good manners go a long way.

You can nurse this bottle of water all night long. That way you wont stretch your budget.

How about flying to Pai? The flight itself should be nice in that tiny Cessna plane. It's relatively affordable. And once in Pai you can basically spend what you want. Some more upmarket places there now too, or you could spend less. And there's bars and music pubs in town, as well as spas and resorts and the like.

Winnee's onto something actually. There are many places to spend a romantic mtn getaway besides Pai. You could head up to Chiang Rai n then stay at Doi Wawee or Mae Salong and visit some of the gardens up there and take a stroll thru some tea fields. Plus in the cooler weather now, it's gonna be nice n cuddly up there - it should set the mood too.

I'[ve only been to Wawee, and don't remember the cheap little place I stayed. It was waaaay up in there, past a river or reservoir, and then in a mostly Chinese hilltop village. A tres cool experience. Maybe someone can list a couple actual resorts to stay at and some phone numbers too ???

No woman that I have ever dated found champagne and roses romantic. They find it to be trite and rehearsed. The other responses about Gold and other things are pretty lame also.

Most are assuming that his GF is Thai.

I also don't think that dropping a large sum of money is romantic either.

I was wondering this same thing, too. Is the OP's girlfriend Thai, a westerner, or something else? Because in all honesty, I think that can affect a woman's idea of romantic.