Hospital For Cag

Phil Conners

After a lot of tests at Phyrathai in Si Racha (EKG, CT scan, Xray, Load test and Ultrasound) I was diagnosed with myocardial ischemia and suggested a coronary angiography / catheterization. They quoted this as anything between 50,000 - 350,000 baht depending on the results / severity.

I choose Phyrathai for the tests based on several recommendations from fellow board members here, but during all the tests their estimates have been way way under the final costs even though I kept insisting on getting a final, all included, price, and some of the tests were obviously not needed as other, later, tests were providing the same information, so I'm really not too confident with them now.

Keeping in mind the kind of money involved (which I have to pay myself) I've decided to get a couple of second opinions, but from who? Bangkok Pattaya is an easy pick as they're here in Pattaya where I am, but I don't mind going to Bangkok for another opinion, but where? I know Bumrungrad is pretty famous, but are they my best choice given the circumstances?

I heard a rumor that some university hospitals are considered even better and less expensive. Is that correct? Which would be appropriate for this?

Also experiences from others having been in the same/similar situation are welcome. This whole thing kinds scares the bejeezus out of me. I still consider myself relatively young and in good shape so was kinda shocked to get this kind of diagnosis.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, buddy...sorry to hear about this. I was at Bumrungrad last year and they found a blockage. They wanted to do an angiogram, but at 300,000 baht, I declined. Especially since the doc said it was not 100% necessary, but just wanted to do it as a precaution and to have a look around. Big money, and I would have to pay for it also.

I thought the hospital was fantastic, expensive, but fantastic. So, I've changed my diet, taking some pills, and hoping for the best.

Please let us know how you progress with this. I am sure I will have to have something done at some point.

P.S. I'm 53, climbed Mt. Kili 2 years ago, and did some very long treks in Nepal 4 years ago. I feel great, but my general checkup showed something unusual during my stress test...then went through everything you did also...no fun....best of luck...

Hey, buddy...sorry to hear about this. I was at Bumrungrad last year and they found a blockage. They wanted to do an angiogram, but at 300,000 baht, I declined. Especially since the doc said it was not 100% necessary, but just wanted to do it as a precaution and to have a look around. Big money, and I would have to pay for it also.

I thought the hospital was fantastic, expensive, but fantastic. So, I've changed my diet, taking some pills, and hoping for the best.

Please let us know how you progress with this. I am sure I will have to have something done at some point.

P.S. I'm 53, climbed Mt. Kili 2 years ago, and did some very long treks in Nepal 4 years ago. I feel great, but my general checkup showed something unusual during my stress test...then went through everything you did also...no fun....best of luck...

Hello, I was just poking around and reading a bit! I see you had been suggested to do an angiogram etc for a possible blockage so I thought I would reply, I am 59 and just 2 years ago I had the angioram and....One morning I woke and got my coffee as usual at home and then I felt a little bad for some reason. just a little tiny pain in my jaw and next and tiny bit in my arm....I checked my bp and it was 200/110.....I got dressed and drove to the hospital and told them I think I am having a heart attack.....sure enough after getting some blood work for enzymes that show heart muscle lack of oxigen they kept me in icu and put a nitro patch on me and waited until morning....The angio show two 95% blocked in 2 in the (LAD,),,,left anterior decending, This LAD is called the "widow maker" I would suggest getting this done. It is not painful and you are awake the whole time. They insertted two taxus smedicated stents into those two and that was more than two years ago. I doubt very much if I would be here now if I had not known some of the slight symptoms. I take 325mg aspirin per day plus one plavix(blood platelet) thinnner to keep blood clots from forming,. IF you do have a blockage of sorts like I did, then even a small blood clot can break off and then it is a full blown heart attack that can damage the heart muscle.,,,my father was 53 in 1975 and had minor angina for years and did not think it was anything but heatburn....it was damaging his heart over the years to the point he would not survive bypass.....but that was 1975....he died at 53...anyway I just wanted to respond to your post and share my experiences,..,...a heart attack can have very slight symptoms as mine did. But The doctor told me I did the right thing by coming in rather than wait and let it subside.....most heart attacks aren't like on TV,,.,,,get the angiogram but make sure you are in a good heart hosptal and then the dangers involved getting that are very slight.....it's worth knowing!!!....this was one of the reasons I chose to start traveling and seeing some of the world. I ended up in Thailand.....hehe......good luck and I apologize for sticking my 2 cents in but I think you would be smart to get it done....I am 59 and still verticle....just eat better and have a few meds......the 50's suck............I still do most of all I did before that happened.

by the way 300,000 is a bit much in Thailand since my angiogram and two day hosptial stay in the USA was only...about US18,000 so I think if you have insurance you would be ok.....even if you had to pay 18,000US to get it fixed it's worth it.....make pmts....whatever

I would also be interested in what hosptal in Thailand is a good heart hosptial. I lived in Chiang mai and usually went to Chiang mai ram and mccormick hosptial but I am not damiliar with bkk hospitals......thanks..

...good luck.to you..............do it!..:jap:

Well I should perhaps clarify. The way I understood the doctor the coronary angiography and the catheterization / angioplasty are performed as two different interventions. First the angiography is done and evaluated and then as a second intervention the actual angioplasty is performed.

The price quoted for the angiography was 50,000-55,000 baht, the price for the angioplasty 300,000-350,000.

On my way to BPH to get a second opinion there. Next week I'll go to Bangkok, not sure yet exactly which hospital but perhaps someone will add their recommendations.

PS. I forgot to mention that the doctor at Phyrathai pushed very strongly for me to proceed with the angiography immediately right down to suggesting that I could drop dead from a heart attack any minute. The only thing the diagnosis was based on was a little variation on the EKG under stress, all other tests showed everything ok. I don't like that kind of threats, I've lived with this heart for 48 years so far and it was a pure coincidence that this problem was noticed. I'm convinced another couple of days probably don't make much difference. (of course you can always be hit by a bus, I mean there is always some risk but let's get realistic about it).

Edited by Phil Conners

The least expensive option of top quality is a government university hospital, Siriraj or Chulalonghorn.

Even there, it will cost a significant amount if a stent is placed, problem is the cost of the devices themselves. But it will cost you less than at a private hospital.

Usual practice is to combine the angiogram with stent placement as it is less expensive and risky than doing these at separate times (the stents need to be placed under angiogram visualization anyway). But that does mean you don't know the costs in advance, although you can know the possible range i.e. cost of angiogram only or angioram plus 1 or more stents.

I suggest you consult Dr. TAWORN SUITHICHAIYAKUL, he is an excellent, US trained cardiologist on the faculty at Chula. You can access him directly for private consultation at Bangkok Christian Hospital Saturdays 10 - 12 (arrive early to register and bring all records with you).

If he thinks angiogram etc indicated, he will arrange to do that at Chula, he only does consultations and non-invasive tests at Bkk Christian.

Be upfront with him re your financial concerns and ask about the pros and cons of alternative approaches.

I have found him very frank, direct and skilled. He won't advise anything unnecessary and I would trust his recommendation. And the cost of whatever you decide on will be less at Chuila than it would be anyhwere else, although probably still some serious $.

Quality of in-patient care in Chula is excellent.

Thanks Sheryl, for your as always very precise recommendations!

The way I understood the doctor he suggested to use a balloon to expand any plaqued veins and only suggested stents if necessary. Is this normal?

So how much is an actual stent? Like 250,000 baht each? Sounds like a lot of money, even for a medical thingy.

Is there any other ways to contact Dr. Taworn? First chance I would get to meet him would be in a week from now. Can't he be consulted at Chula?

Re Chula Hospital,

I have just spent 3 nights there in the CCU, and having treatment for my heart. Experienced discomfort some days earlier and after 3 nights at a local Private hospital was taken down to Chula last Sunday.

From addmittance to discharge I was totally impressed by the care and attention of all staff... doctors ,nurses, aides, even the cleaners! Had several tests done, blood tests, xrays, ultra sound. and an angoiplasty.

The angioplasty found a blockage in a graft from a previous by- pass some 8 years ago. The doctors are confident that it will self clear in time, and and have advised me to take things easy for the meantime.Given several pills and have follow up checks due in 8 days.

I have experienced several hospitals here in Thailand, private and public, and without a doubt the 3 nights I had at Chula would be the very best for care, treatment, assistance, food, etc.that I have had. The Nurses are just wonderful and all are so proud of being nurses at Chula.

By the way the total bill........everything 34064 baht. Makes a mockery of what the private hospitals charge today. To hear of figures of 300,000b for an angiogram, one wonders at the actual "real" profits these hospitals are making.

BAYBOY

The indications for stents, or CABG (coronary arterial bypass grafting) depends on the number of arteries blocked. Usually, if one or 2 arteries are blocked then stenting is indicated; if more than 2 then bypass surgery is done.

Nowadays, the angio procedure is done via the radial artery at the wrist, not the femoral artery in the groin; this means shorter hospital stay and less risk of complications such as bleeding. Patients are usually discharged after a few hours observation. If stents are placed, an overnight stay would usually be required.

Bumrungrad also has a non-invasive alternative available for checking the coronary arteries; this is done by CAT scan with contrast; this is cheaper than an angio and the results are also very good; not sure if available in Chula but worth checking out.

Thanks Sheryl, for your as always very precise recommendations!

The way I understood the doctor he suggested to use a balloon to expand any plaqued veins and only suggested stents if necessary. Is this normal?

So how much is an actual stent? Like 250,000 baht each? Sounds like a lot of money, even for a medical thingy.

Is there any other ways to contact Dr. Taworn? First chance I would get to meet him would be in a week from now. Can't he be consulted at Chula?

I may be wrong but AFAIK you can't choose your doctor if you go to Chula as an outpatient. You might or might not meet him directly, but anyone you did see would be working under his direction. So going there as an outpatient is an option. But be prepared for a lot of red tape, long lines and everything written in Thai. If you can, bring a Thai with you to help navigate. And be prepared to spend a whole day just for initial consultation.

If you aren't symptomatic, waiting a bit longer for a private consult might actually be easier on you.

In event you develop serious symptoms, go straight to the Chula ER.

Just came back from my second opinion at BPH and have been very impressed this time!

Doctor came over as very careful and understanding all the reports immediately. To me as a layman he came over as much more experienced and qualified than the doctor at Phyrathai. Recommended as at Phyrathai coronary angiography and if necessary angioplasty, but that's where the similarities ended. Prices quoted for angiography at BPH 25,000 and angioplasty 225,000 baht, all-including package (pressed very hard to hear if there were other costs at all to be expected!). Oh, and the most amazing thing is they didn't even want any fee for the consultation!! Not what you usually hear about BHP.

He also didn't think I was going to die from instant heart attack if I didn't go ahead with this immediately (though of course recommended to proceed with it as soon as possible). Have had a serious eye opener about Phyrathai!

Still have to transfer some funds to Thailand to pay for the thing so I still have a couple of days where I can't do anything anyway so have some time to consider.

Seeing Dr Taworn at Bangkok Christian Hospital next Saturday is still a very interesting option.

Edited by Phil Conners

Well I should perhaps clarify. The way I understood the doctor the coronary angiography and the catheterization / angioplasty are performed as two different interventions. First the angiography is done and evaluated and then as a second intervention the actual angioplasty is performed.

The price quoted for the angiography was 50,000-55,000 baht, the price for the angioplasty 300,000-350,000.

On my way to BPH to get a second opinion there. Next week I'll go to Bangkok, not sure yet exactly which hospital but perhaps someone will add their recommendations.

PS. I forgot to mention that the doctor at Phyrathai pushed very strongly for me to proceed with the angiography immediately right down to suggesting that I could drop dead from a heart attack any minute. The only thing the diagnosis was based on was a little variation on the EKG under stress, all other tests showed everything ok. I don't like that kind of threats, I've lived with this heart for 48 years so far and it was a pure coincidence that this problem was noticed. I'm convinced another couple of days probably don't make much difference. (of course you can always be hit by a bus, I mean there is always some risk but let's get realistic about it).

Are you on medication at least? Platelet meds, etc.?

Not to scare you and not defending the Dr. but I know of a famous DJ back home that got such a diagnosis and was scheduled to have the angioplasty done the following week and DID have a massive heart attack before the procedure and passed so it's definitely a potential gamble and something to consider but not panic about..

As for the 2 different procedures you are fully conscious during the procedure and if it is seriously blocked which they will know almost immediately then it should be possible to do the stent at that point and provide your opinion, I would and also save some money and suffer through only once it will also reduce the possibility of scar tissue build up on the vein or artery they do the cath on.

I had a catheterization when I was 14 due to a pulmonary stenosis (narrowing beyond the heart valve) discovered when I had a physical for football. It was very stressful to say the least but times have changed as has technology and I was cleared to play and have had no limitations and been very active ever since..

Obviously posted before you mentioned your second opinion so it's good to hear they don't consider you high risk.. Still I'd very alert and I'm still curious if you are on preventive meds?

What alarmed you to the problem to begin with? Chest pain?, etc. etc.?

Edited by WarpSpeed

Chula and Bangkok Christian are both in Bangkok.

I've had high blood pressure (BP) for years and taken beta blockers (BB). About a month ago I noticed my BP had gone up so I discussed with my regular doctor who suggested increasing BB from 25mg first to 50mg, then to 100mg. After this I noticed when I was doing my exercise (stationary bicycle) that I had some chest pain for a few minutes in the beginning of the exercise. After a few days of this I though I better go do some tests, and the rest is history. The doctors don't seem to agree if the chest pain have anything to do with the BB or not, it seems it may have been a coincidence that the chest pains came at the same time as the BB increase.

I'm currently on BB 50mg Pronolol and 81mg Aspirin, and the doctors both recommending also Bestatin (antihyperlipidaemic) 20mg so that has just been added to the mix.

Other than the high BP I haven't had any history of any heart decease and other than the stenosis the tests show my heart in all ways are fully fit.

Edited by Phil Conners

wheww! guess our future cooking seesions have to be a tad leaner. Glad to see that you went to see a doctor and also got a second opinion. Also intersting to see that we have here some good news about the BPH which usually does not get the best comments on this board.

As for university hospitals I can only give my expereince from Germany - The procedures were done by doctor students and EVERY step was checked thoroughly by a professor. Could not think about a better medical care. Universities are permanently updated about latest procedures and here research happens.

As for a CT scan, a friend of mine has done that in a government hospital just outside Bangkok (Samut Sakorn I think it was..) two months ago. Was relatively cheap and the latest technology. Staff spoke fluent English and appeared very competent. Will find out which hospital that exactly was.

Best of luck...please keep us updated. They did an EGK, echo cardiogram, and then cat scan on me at Bumrungrad. The cat scan found the blockage. Doc said he wanted to do the angio just to have a look around, but it was not necessary and I would be fine for many years to come...but still, it makes me nervous. Especially as I start training for my upcoming trek to Everest Base Camp in October! But if ya gotta go, that would be a great resting place.

I think I paid 15k Baht at Bumrungrad for all the tests, but opted out of the 300k angio procedure!!!!! I am pretty sure that included a stent if required. He gave me the top end number.

I might head over to BPH for a 2nd opinion. Sounds like you got a good doc there....may I ask his name? Or can you PM me?

Thanks!

Craig

P.S. Raro: No more deep fried food for you guys! But I hear beer is still good for thinning your blood!!!! :D

A CT scan was mentioned by the doctor at BPH but he said that it was only 90% precise and he really would prefer the angio procedure. I don't know, I didn't really push him on it at the time, maybe I should go and ask about this as a intermediate step. As I understand it even the CT scan is half-invasive as you need to get contract fluids injected for the blockage to be viewable on the scan.

Craig, only the full procedure is 300K, if they go in and see there is no need for further treatment the cost is "only" 25K.

A CT scan was mentioned by the doctor at BPH but he said that it was only 90% precise and he really would prefer the angio procedure. I don't know, I didn't really push him on it at the time, maybe I should go and ask about this as a intermediate step. As I understand it even the CT scan is half-invasive as you need to get contract fluids injected for the blockage to be viewable on the scan.

Craig, only the full procedure is 300K, if they go in and see there is no need for further treatment the cost is "only" 25K.

For sure. That's why my doc wanted to do the angio after the CT scan. He says it's OK, but doesn't tell everything. I'm gonig to get a second opinion and go from there...I have a horrible history of heart disease in my family! :(

The stents used to reinforce the blockage area can cost big bucks, especially the drug-eluting ones. If balloon angioplasty is indeed called for and performed watch out!

I am not sure of the cost of the stents themselves. mine were the taxus drug eluding type and they do take about 18 months to fully grow over. This is the reason that you need to take aspitin and plavix for close to 18 months. The Chemo taxol I think is the drug in the coated stents but they do have a better statistic of not ocluding again like the stainless steel ones. They used the Taxus ones on me and I just a couple of months ago I quit taking the plavix after 2.5years (cut in half for 2 months first)just to make sure both had grown over and were covered(my choice) I also did have the main artery angiplasty which was only 30% blocked(not bad) but the doc did that. What was your concern with the angiplasty?....artery splitting?..or what....?....I didn't have a problem but I did feel the balloon inflate with a slight disconfort....but so far so good....

For sure. That's why my doc wanted to do the angio after the CT scan. He says it's OK, but doesn't tell everything. I'm gonig to get a second opinion and go from there...I have a horrible history of heart disease in my family! :(

I think you are wise to get a second opinion on that considering family history. You sound like me, as I lost my father at 53 from heart disease too. Since I turned 53 I figured it was a matter of time and at 57 I had the symtoms and luckily I scrammed to the hospital before I had an actual bad heart attack and luckily there was no muscle damage, just two 95% blocked, stented and I did find out I had an AAA to (absominal aortic aneuriysm)...ughhh....it was only 3.4 cm so is not bad and they don't worry about fixing that until it grows to 5 or 5.5 and that can fixed with a stent also but is not something I look forward to....yikes....dam_n 50's huh....

Hi Phil

everything I had done was done at the time of the angiogram. If they see a blockage that needs opening up they will first, angioplaty with the balloon and then deflate the balloon and then run the stents on the rail already inserted from the angiogram and place them accordingly and then inflate that balloon to expand the stent. Its all done in one prodedure. If they find anything during angiography they fix it then. No reason to wait and go back in again and do the same invasion.

Mine took around 30 minutes at most and I watched right on the tv with the doc too. It's painless mostly, just a little anxious is all during the thing. Todays tech is a lot better than 30 years ago for sure....sometimes they will recommend a (bypass) if something is harder to get at. But most is stinted....just keep a better diet and take the meds....keep the bp down....good luck ....let me know what your second opinion is......hey, it's time to check it out and know rather than stress about it and let it go and possibly end up with heart muscle damage too,....just my thoughts, ....keep me posted...

Hi XXpate48USA,

Thanks for the description. While I do understand that it is probably mainly painless, the idea of they having to cut open my leg to push some sort of rod up inside my body gives me shivers. But of course, if it has to be it has to be.

Yeah I know it's pretty routine for the doctors today, but it's a brand new experience for me ;)

I posted about the second opinion up in post #11. Maybe you missed it.

I did find out I had an AAA to (absominal aortic aneuriysm)...ughhh....it was only 3.4 cm so is not bad and they don't worry about fixing that until it grows to 5 or 5.5 and that can fixed with a stent also but is not something I look forward to....yikes....dam_n 50's huh....

My mother had an AAA and hers was not a major concern either now some years later it has actually encapsulated without intervention and is not considered any threat what so ever she's now 81 and that was at least 10 years ago..

Yeah but the good thing is it that the CT is far less invasive, expensive and uncomfortable and can tell whether or not to go forward unless it is inconclusive..

But pretty much if there is enough blockage to be concerned (or not) then you make the decision with your doctor based on that at least..

Hi XXpate48USA,

Thanks for the description. While I do understand that it is probably mainly painless, the idea of they having to cut open my leg to push some sort of rod up inside my body gives me shivers. But of course, if it has to be it has to be.

Yeah I know it's pretty routine for the doctors today, but it's a brand new experience for me ;)

I posted about the second opinion up in post #11. Maybe you missed it.

The solution to this is just ask for the cutest nurse there to shave you ;):D , it is very soothing on the mind :D ...

But seriously when I had my cath. they tried my arm first at my elbow but said I was too nervous and after several tries until it was becoming painful they were unable to get it through around my arm pit area where the vein (in this case) runs.

I kind of said "well this isn't exactly the most calming procedure being conscious and strapped down like being crucified" and even that was quite uncomfortable for me at the time, but anyway I was young and still growing too so that's another reason it was ultimate necessary for them to go in through my groin..

Oh, I got some more prices on bits and pieces from BPH:

Guiding catheter 10,000 baht

balloon 30,000 baht

stent 60,000 baht (normal)

stent 130,000 baht (medicated)

FWIW :)

Four years ago, at Paolo in Saphan Khwai, the difference between a plain stent and a drug-eluting stent was approximately THB30,000. The total bill was about THB350,000 for the angiogram/angioplasty, including the drug-eluting stent. My portion was just over THB38,000, the balance being paid for by the Thai government insurance (Pagaan Sangkhom). That insurance did NOT cover the drug-eluting stent; 30,000 of the 38,000 I paid was for that stent.

The facilities at Paolo were decent, but certainly NOT up to US standards. The actual stent placement was done by a cardiac interventionist, who is not resident at the hospital, but is called in to do that procedure, presumably because, Paolo doesn't (didn't) do that many stents.

I actually had to negotiate the price while in the Cardiac Caterterization Lab, with the catheter in place, and the image of my blocked artery on-screen in real time. I had to plead poverty (I was working at a Thai company), and the interventionist was on the phone to the hospital administrator and the stent salesman for a good 30 minutes before we arrived at a 30,000 baht figure. The rest was for miscellaneous things not covered.

I notice that Paolo has begun marketing to international patients, so expect pricing to be significantly increased now. Still, the prices at BPH seem a bit high. If I had to do it again, I would take Sheryl's advice, and look for the guy at Chula to do it.

Don't wait too long, and try to make the necessary changes post-op. Hopefully, this will be a once-only procedure for you.

Best wishes for a quick and lasting recovery.

Sateev

I did find out I had an AAA to (absominal aortic aneuriysm)...ughhh....it was only 3.4 cm so is not bad and they don't worry about fixing that until it grows to 5 or 5.5 and that can fixed with a stent also but is not something I look forward to....yikes....dam_n 50's huh....

My mother had an AAA and hers was not a major concern either now some years later it has actually encapsulated without intervention and is not considered any threat what so ever she's now 81 and that was at least 10 years ago..

My father had a AAA, and it's what ultimately got him. He had a stent, but it slipped a bit and the artery popped just at the edge. I had just taken him to the doc to have it xrayed and checked out...4 weeks later he passed.

My uncle just had a stent put in. I guess it is hereditary. So, at 53, I'm going to have it checked out. My father's doc even pulled me aside during his checkup and told me to have mine checked as it is highly possible I have an aneurysm also....

Getting old sucks!!!! Shouldn't have eaten so many big mac's with fries when I was younger! :(