Hospital For Cag

Phil Conners

i would always recommend going to a BKK hospital over any of the regional ones, even so the one i saw went from and estimate of 120,000 on the phone to an actual cost at the hospital of 350,000. declined and wait until i get back to Uk and let the meds take care until then. with the exchange rate now its just as cheap at home.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As this thread seems to have been revived will mention my experience at private Bangkok hospital last month (Vejthani) where total bill was 291k for two chromium stents and half dozen or so balloon expansions.

Day started as a Thyroid ultrasound to check status. Not better so plan to remove. Check surgeon to make appointment in one week (after stop of aspirin). Sent for chest x-ray and then cardiology for EKG (which not good) so stress test (and that worse/could not continue with abnormalities on all sensors). At that point angioplasty or CT scan but doctor sure CT would just confirm need so directly to cauterization lab (after shave to likely entry points on right wrist and both legs and quick call to family to say 'guess what') and primary surgeon called. Entry was by wrist (which is normal in Asia) and no pain at all and first exam/expansions and then placement of stints after consultation on what/where. All told believe it was about 2 hours. Walked out to waiting area were family had computer view and doctor ran them though procedure. No using right hand until pressure bandage removed about 3 hours later and overnight in ICU. As with OP did not have chest pains but use of blood pressure medications may have masked that.

As said the room is more like a spaceship command center than an operating room and suspect that is the reason for part of the high costs as at most places they would not be used daily and take up a large space and contain modern equipment.

Now the real pains are trying to lower LDL to 70 range (now 96 with medication).

Uh that was a lot of money, but I guess main thing is you came through it and have the problem behind you now :)

Entry was by wrist (which is normal in Asia) and no pain at all and first exam/expansions and then placement of stints after consultation on what/where

I read this in articles on the internet before I went in, but professor Taworn insisted in going through the groin, explaining that the veins in the arms are relatively narrow and the process of going that way through may cause damage of the vein walls leading to other problems.

Believe most senior doctors at Chula receive training/lecture in USA and that is the method used there so likely more comfortable using it. Mine entered within one or two inches of wrist joint on inside and only about half inch slit. As said they did shave groin areas in case there was a problem using arm entry.

Set price quote was 300k. As have insurance (but have to pay first) cost is not a major factor (and chose unmediated stints more to allow other operation and my reading not showing much advantage). As knew was not getting any stronger and family history suggesting heart problems likely had done some prior reading.

Thanks for sharing this, lop, and glad you're OK.

Be sure to take fish oil capsules to up the HDL, if you aren't already

291K for two stents is actually on the low side for private hospitals in Thailand these days....

A CT scan was mentioned by the doctor at BPH but he said that it was only 90% precise and he really would prefer the angio procedure. I don't know, I didn't really push him on it at the time, maybe I should go and ask about this as a intermediate step. As I understand it even the CT scan is half-invasive as you need to get contract fluids injected for the blockage to be viewable on the scan.

Craig, only the full procedure is 300K, if they go in and see there is no need for further treatment the cost is "only" 25K.

Get the Angiogram soon Phil, I'll tell you why!

Phil,

Two and half years ago I went back to the states for a yearly visit. While there I did my usual go to my VA Doc and get a routine check up. I complained the only occasionally I would this mild chest burning pain in my chest but really was no big deal. Would clear up in few minutes and go weeks again no problem. Considering I just turned 62 and hadn't had any of the let's say "old guy" stuff, we decided to get it all done. You know Butt probe, EKG, blood, the works. All this was done at PA VA /Hospital if you know where that is. During the EKG Stress test I got that little nagging chest pain. I happends that day the one Doctor in attendance was the Standford University Head of Cardiology. A partial blockage was indicated during CT scan. Well, testing was stopped, and I was admitted for a Angiogram and if minor, then an Angioplasty and home the next day. Sounds good to me. Well, did the hour long Angiogram but was sent back to my room. With my cousin in attendance 5 Doctors walk into my room. Without skipping a beat, I was told I needed a Triple if not a Quadruple By Pass! My cousin's jaw hit the floor along with mine! I was restricted to bed and a CABG would be scheduled as soon as possible. I was told point blank that my condition is one of those that you just suddenly drop over dead by heart attack. No real symptoms. I was a walking heart attack! I told them I walked miles around Thailand and never really experienced any problems other than what I said previously stated. I had been on blood pressure pills and asprin for years but a rather mild dose. So it goes to show you until they really do the test you just don't know. I ended up with a Triple and added years to my life plus I'm doing things I haven't done since I was a kid.

Do the Angiogram now. It could save your life. If you need the CABG email me I can give first hand experience. If you do it here in Bangkok I'll drop by and visit.

LOPBURI 3

Fish oil capsules are great not only for the heart but also for arthritis and joint problems. I have been taking them for the past 3 years, as I had bad problems with my knees, bending etc. Also have heart troubles.

Take 4 a day and movement much better, and the pain has gone.

They usually with a lemon flavor to mask the fish smell.

In Thailand they are not cheap so I get friends from New Zealand to bring up. A plastic jar of 400 capsules costs about 800 baht.

cheers BAYBOY

Thanks for the input, but if you read on 'till post #56 you'll see I already had the Angioplasty done end-December. ;)

Fortunately it wasn't as bad as your situation!

Glad to hear you are OK. I must have missed #56 but thought I had read them all.

291K for two stents is actually on the low side for private hospitals in Thailand these days....

After a quick read it seems more controversial than expected (not using fish oil itself but quality control of it). Note there seems to be a prescription called OMACOR available so perhaps should ask about that? My out of pocket cost is only 20-25% when using prescription so suspect may be as low, or lower cost than quality fish oil (if it works as well and really available here).

After a quick read it seems more controversial than expected (not using fish oil itself but quality control of it). Note there seems to be a prescription called OMACOR available so perhaps should ask about that? My out of pocket cost is only 20-25% when using prescription so suspect may be as low, or lower cost than quality fish oil (if it works as well and really available here).

yes, this is the problem with all the drugs considered "nutritional supplements", at least if manufactured in the US. I believe there are better quality controls in Europe and Australia.

Omacor is listed in MIMs, so available tho probably only in larger pharmacies.

Personally I take the fish oil brand sold in Lotus ("Alaska" or something like that) and it raised my HDL noticeably (I'm also vegetarian, which of course helps, but HDL rose further after adding fish oil).

And of course, you c an also eat more fish

as i am a newbe i have just read all the posts,so good luck to phil i bet your feeling like a new man,i myself had a double bypass and a new heart valve in 2007,i was in surgery for 8hrs,this was done in the uk.and was told if i had to pay it would be about 2.5million bht.if anyone wants to know whants to know what symptoms i had i would be glad to pass them on.since i moved to los 2009 i have never felt better.

• 3 weeks later...

last week price for angioplasty one stent in the Had Yai- Bangkok hospital 288 000 Bath.In Had Yai there is only one cardiologist who is doing angioplasty and he is employed in the university hospital which is run by the government.A friend of mine had a heart attack and was driven to the government hospital.He was told that he had to wait-I do not know why-and should go to the Bangkok Had Yai hospital.There the doctor was available.The same doctor who is the only one in this town and should have been available also in the government hospital.A matter of money.

• 10 months later...

The problem is that in a public hospital you usually cannot choose your doctor. And the best docs are in senior teaching positions, they will supervise but the actual surgery will be done by interns/residents in training. For the luxury of not only choosing your own doctor but also having it be one of these top people, you havee to go private.

Some public hospitals have started to offer a private option through an after hours clinic e.g. CMU Hospital (Sripat) and Chula.