Approx Build Costs For A Wooden 'Dorm' On Stilts

My hotel in Phuket is doing well for a small business, and I now want to implement an idea that I've had for a few years - which is to construct a 'dorm' style of accommodation for backpackers. My reasons for these are two-fold:

- It's dam_n hard for any student/young person to find affordable accommodation in Phuket

- My previous experimentation with camping at my hotel indicated a very good demand for low-cost accommodation near to the airport

I would envisage this dorm simply being a 'value-add' for the existing hotel, generating sufficient monthly income to pay many of the primary business bills, such as electricity, water, cable TV etc. Typical nightly bed rate would be 300 baht, with full use of the hotel's facilities (swimming pool, free wi-fi etc).

This type of low-cost dorm accommodation would not 'damage' the existing brand, since it's highly unlikely that someone planning on staying in one of the ensuite, air-con rooms would downgrade to sharing a dorm with 8 other sweaty students :)

I do not want to build a concrete, characterless building. But funds are never flush either.

What I'd like to build is an 'Issan-style' wooden dorm on stilts, with a single large room, separate shower/toilets, and outside balcony. (This is very much like my own rented house in Ao Nang - simple and traditional)

Can anyone give me an idea of build costs for the structure? The building would consist of an area 9 x 6 meters, with some 22 meters total of internal partition walls.

I'm not looking to build using expensive Mai Sak or Mai Daing. However, I know that I can buy old hardwood at a very low price from broken houses in my ex's Issan village. (Is there an issue to transport old hardwood to Phuket? I think one needs a licence to do this).

If not Mai Sak/Daing, is there any other wood that is recommended for wall, floor and supporting beams?

Thanks

Simon

I am in the process of starting up a business in modifying and selling seacontainers.

These are 20ft (6m) or 40ft (12m) long and almost 2.50m wide.

I am not trying to sell you something because i not started yet :), but you could do something similar.

Heat is the biggest enemy so you need a roof above the container and foam isolation on the walls. Add some nice cladding to hide the container look.

Inside is up to your imagination but you can find some samples on internet where these are used as sleeping places for workers.

Great thing about containers is that they are transportable, so if you change plans or have a better location, just pick 'em up.

Simon I think your idea of charging 300 baht to share a dorm with, as you say 8 other sweaty, farting and snoring people is way too high. If you have the room maybe a few small very basic wooden bungalows would be a better way to go ? :blink: Just my 2 satangs worth ;)

Simon I think your idea of charging 300 baht to share a dorm with, as you say 8 other sweaty, farting and snoring people is way too high.

Well, even in Laos the dorm rooms cost about 200 baht per night. In Phuket, a dorm room is typically 300-400 baht per person.

My target fee is reasonable, given the immediate location within walking distance to the airport.

I do not want to locate cheap bungalows on my existing hotel because they will 'damage the brand' of the existing bungalow rooms, (meaning that a customer who would normally want to stay in an existing below might be tempted to downgrade to a cheaper room, but if it's a choice between air-con bungalow and dorm room, then I do not think there will be any risk of downgrading..)

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the process of starting up a business in modifying and selling seacontainers.

These are 20ft (6m) or 40ft (12m) long and almost 2.50m wide.

I am not trying to sell you something because i not started yet :), but you could do something similar.

Heat is the biggest enemy so you need a roof above the container and foam isolation on the walls. Add some nice cladding to hide the container look.

Inside is up to your imagination but you can find some samples on internet where these are used as sleeping places for workers.

Great thing about containers is that they are transportable, so if you change plans or have a better location, just pick 'em up.

Hi Jean,

since we are at it: How huch would a "raw" 40ft sea-container in Thailand cost these days ?

Thanks & cheers.

Unfortunately a little more expensive then i thought. Delivered it starts from around 80k, used of course.

Very few decent ones for sale, and also have to consider that using new steel to make a frame is not that much more expensive.

Same for me: It's more than I thought. I think for this amount a modest structure could be built (wood or brick), as long the emphasis remains with "modest structure".

Cheers.

What I'd like to build is an 'Issan-style' wooden dorm on stilts' date=' with a single large room, separate shower/toilets, and outside balcony. (This is very much like my own rented house in Ao Nang - simple and traditional)

I do not want to locate cheap bungalows on my existing hotel because they will 'damage the brand' of the existing bungalow rooms, (meaning that a customer who would normally want to stay in an existing below might be tempted to downgrade to a cheaper room, but if it's a choice between air-con bungalow and dorm room, then I do not think there will be any risk of downgrading..)

[/quote']

What is being proposed as Issan-style wooden dorm seems to be just like temporary housing for construction workers...:rolleyes:

And there is worry of 'damage (to) the brand' and no worries of damage to the culture of South Thailand using Issan-style dorms in Phuket? And will such a dorm pass fire and safety codes?