Farming In The 21St Century

drtreelove

The attached pdf of a new brochure from the US Dept of Agriculture is significant and shows that these basic farming principles are now far from being a niche to be placed in a special interest "organic farming" category. It has become mainstream essential knowledge and practice, and all farmers should take note.

21st_century_soil_health_factsheet.pdf

DTL,

I am surprised that no-one has commented on this subject. Thanks for the link it is an interesting document and a good lead into your others links of late. Back to the topic at hand, I agree completely that the only sustainable way forward is to adopt these organic methods. Get some top soil back and some worms. Learn to feed the soil, not just put back the nutrients.

For those who havent grasped the idea, think of it this way. Fuel costs are rising and will climb a lot higher taking fertiliser, pesticide and herbicide costs with them. Given the small margins on crops and the price controls here, you need to ask the question. Can I afford the increase in cost with little to no increase in return? Clearly the longer term answer is no! Especially if you are working a small holding such as my own.

I suggest that we all have a hard look at alternatives more friendly to our planet and our pockets and just accept that fact that we will have callouses on our hands as in days of old. Read the brochure and some of the soil web links, understand and give it a try.

Isaan Aussie