Retirement In Thailand-Is It Still Lucrative?

RobL

.....However if I'll retire I would probably look for something more central, say Bangkok, Pattaya or alike with major amenities and good medical services. Obviously a village in the countryside is always cheaper to live at but that's not on my radar.

And therein lies the snag.

I doubt many guys living in Thailand's quaint villages set out with intention of living there - rather they met someone who had that in mind for them.

The real trick is to make sure that you retirement savings/income remain your retirement savings and income and do not get diverted to providing a lifestyle and income for a woman you've not yet met and her extended family.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt many guys living in Thailand's quaint villages set out with intention of living there - rather they met someone who had that in mind for them.

The real trick is to make sure that you retirement savings/income remain your retirement savings and income and do not get diverted to providing a lifestyle and income for a woman you've not yet met and her extended family.

Well this guy certainly planned his retirement in this quiet village and the other farang down the road certainly knew what he was doing when he built his house. And then there is another friend who built his house exactly where he intended.

In fact all of my friends here are exactly where they want to be.

Not all of us are pushovers you know.

Well this guy certainly planned his retirement in this quiet village and the other farang down the road certainly knew what he was doing when he built his house. And then there is another friend who built his house exactly where he intended.

This wouldn't happen to be your wife's village/their wife's village would it?

Hear here!!

After many years in Southern Thailand I made the move to the countryside. They all speak more Laos than Thai and I had to learn a different language but I can honestly say there is more laughter here and I too CHOOSE to live here. Best choice I made and you can easily live on 30,000 baht per month if you own a house. That's supporting a wife and child. I know plenty of guys up here living on less.

I am married to a Thai so no need to look for "entertainment", mine is all free :D

Theres no such thing as a 'free lunch' apetley, I am sure you have heard that before. Others will argue that its cheaper to be single & entertain yourself via other means. :lol:

I hear that dance man! :D

For me, as a young dude it's a different tune. I work part-time overseas to keep my head above water.

The baby boomer generation are ok for the most part. They've got the boom years legacy for their pensions etc.

In the coming years we'll see a lot less people retire imo because of the nature of the UKs 'lost' generation of the 80s and 90s. Less money going around for those in their late 30s, 40s and 50s because of the nature of the world etc.

However with this new groove of Asia on the rise with strong currency and Euroland and the US hitting the wall it's an even more uncertain one to be coming into.

I was just opening up a savings account today and after I'd exchanged some £ monopoly money for thai baht I deposited it.

About 5 hours later I'm passing the same Thai bank when *clunk* down goes the value of the £ again against the baht. The writing is on the wall folks...

Edited by JimsKnight

I guess some Thai women who grew up in a village are happy to return to the village ... others are happy to see the village only once a year on New Year''s Day... I say 'return' as -- unless you are a Peace Corp or Oxfam worker -- you probably did not meet her in the village.

This wouldn't happen to be your wife's village/their wife's village would it?

Believe it or not but in all but one case no.

Unless the village has some attraction that would convince a Thai person to move there I find that a tad 'strange'.

That one case, did he either move to the village before he met his wife or meet his wife before he moved to Thailand?

Edited by GuestHouse

Unless the village has some attraction that would convince a Thai person to move there I find that a tad 'strange'.

That one case, did he either move to the village before he met his wife or meet his wife before he moved to Thailand?

In this case they built a house on land owned by his wife.

He had been coming to Thailand for a few years before he met his wife to be.

As for it being strange for a Thai to move out of their own village I would have to say that it does happen.

My own wife wanted to move away from her own immediate family as she gets on alot better with them, especially her mother when there is some distance between them. Her family even offered us some land for free to build our new house in the village just to be close but wifey vetoed that suggestion very early on.

How can you 'sneak up' on someone who makes 3000 posts per year ... Just say what you have to say ... You don't have to qualify it with that "Believe me... I know" or "I know lots of Thai women and ..." boorishness.

What you are doing is considered to be "stalking" and it's very childish. Your comments are amusing though, and it's kind of fun toying with your childish behavior. Unlike you, I can back up everything I say and I don't hide behind a pseudonym while making nasty comments about others. I can't recall you ever beginning a constructive topic, or offering any advice on anything. That tells me something about your character.

I apologize to others on this topic for dealing with this pest.

But, getting back on topic...

It's possible to rent a reasonable, unfurnished home in the outskirts of Chiang Mai for about 10,000 baht a month. I can't speak for other farang friendly cities. I think it's more practical to rent rather than buy. If there's any problem, as there often is, you can easily pack up and leave. I try to follow the advice to never buy anything in Thailand that you can't walk away from with only a few regrets.

Thai meals in cafes traditionally cost under 40 baht per serving. In a warm climate I seldom need more than two meals a day and supplement that with fruit. If you cook for yourself it's probably similar in cost because you'll splurge on more expensive items. I can't factor in alcohol because everyone is different but it's certainly cheaper in the small stores than it is at bars. Some guys bar bill would break me.

PattayaParent: wouldn't that be a consideration everywhere you retire?. Obviously if someone if very rich or very poor Thailand (and alike) are probably not a wise move. My question is assuming you're the average Joe, is it worth it?.

apetley: glad to hear you're enjoying the LOS. However if I'll retire I would probably look for something more central, say Bangkok, Pattaya or alike with major amenities and good medical services. Obviously a village in the countryside is always cheaper to live at but that's not on my radar.

Bkk., Pattaya, Phuket are well and truly off my radar. Village life for me and mine. Comfortable house , cheap food, good local Monday market, Albeit a visit to Makro every 3 months, local beer bar ,to have a beer with friends .What more could you want?

Jazz bars, fine restaurants, movies, bowling, beaches, shopping, seaside restaurants, wine shops, etc.?????? Just a few that come to mind. :whistling:

Been there ,done that, BORED with it.Love being in the sticks ,no pollution ,no traffic jams . Just a delightful lifestyle.

PattayaParent: wouldn't that be a consideration everywhere you retire?. Obviously if someone if very rich or very poor Thailand (and alike) are probably not a wise move. My question is assuming you're the average Joe, is it worth it?.

apetley: glad to hear you're enjoying the LOS. However if I'll retire I would probably look for something more central, say Bangkok, Pattaya or alike with major amenities and good medical services. Obviously a village in the countryside is always cheaper to live at but that's not on my radar.

Bkk., Pattaya, Phuket are well and truly off my radar. Village life for me and mine. Comfortable house , cheap food, good local Monday market, Albeit a visit to Makro every 3 months, local beer bar ,to have a beer with friends .What more could you want?

Jazz bars, fine restaurants, movies, bowling, beaches, shopping, seaside restaurants, wine shops, etc.?????? Just a few that come to mind. :whistling:

Been there ,done that, BORED with it.Love being in the sticks ,no pollution ,no traffic jams . Just a delightful lifestyle.

To each his own. But I need the above. I've lived in the sticks. Love it! But still need these things from time to time. I like to eat at a restaurant from time to time where all the chairs are not plastic! ;)

Sounds great, but my fear with living in the countryside would be the lack of stimulation of any kind.

Afarang how many stimulating conversations do you have in a typical week? With who and about what? If you don't mind answering.

Very good point. It all depends on the individual. I've known people who wouldn't live anywhere less than a city like New York. Anything less would be considered hicksville. Living alone or in a rural environment usually requires a special individual who is happy on their own. It helps a lot to have a serious hobby such as: carpentry, art, writing, photography or outdoor adventures like hiking and fishing. Unless you can speak Thai fluently there is a definite lack of verbal stimulation.

And, even then not many Thais have the same interests as farangs. The internet helps a lot in keeping in touch.

Sounds great, but my fear with living in the countryside would be the lack of stimulation of any kind.

Afarang how many stimulating conversations do you have in a typical week? With who and about what? If you don't mind answering.

Very good point. It all depends on the individual. I've known people who wouldn't live anywhere less than a city like New York. Anything less would be considered hicksville. Living alone or in a rural environment usually requires a special individual who is happy on their own. It helps a lot to have a serious hobby such as: carpentry, art, writing, photography or outdoor adventures like hiking and fishing. Unless you can speak Thai fluently there is a definite lack of verbal stimulation.

And, even then not many Thais have the same interests as farangs. The internet helps a lot in keeping in touch.

Well put. I lived in New York City for 3 years. Loved it! But could never live there again. I lived in Bangkok for about a year. Loved it! But could not live there again. I think we now have a happy median...living in Ban Amphur, outside Jomtien. Not really rural, but just 30 minutes to Central Festival if desired.

My brother is the exact opposite of me. He LOVES the country in Montana...snow and all. He HATES any large city and avoids them like the plague! But he is an avid hunter, skier, hiker, general outdoors person...to each their own. :)

And a market open everyday...

Unless you can speak Thai fluently there is a definite lack of verbal stimulation... So simple ... Learn Thai fluently and you can have stimulation verbal and otherwise.

For sure. During my year or so travels around S. America, L. American and Mexico, I picked up a lot of Spanish. But easier as you can read what is written. Thai has been very, very, very difficult for me. I'm trying, but really struggling. It's my new years resolution to try and learn it better!

But hey, at least I can order most food and a beer! :lol:

Unless you can speak Thai fluently there is a definite lack of verbal stimulation... So simple ... Learn Thai fluently and you can have stimulation verbal and otherwise.

You can listen to most Thais talk about money and food and little else. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

Kuhn C -- The vowels and the no-spaces-between-the-words are the killers -- but if you can speak Thai you are not relegated to just listening ... and the conversation becomes more varied but I have yet to have a discussion with an Isaaner on spatiality in the works of Proust ...

However, the most common extended Thai conversation for me to have -- after food, money, and are you married? Friend? -- is what do actually DO while you are here in Thailand ...

Edited by jazzbo

Indeed UG, so very true - But then not much of a problem unless they're talking about your money.

Hear here!!

After many years in Southern Thailand I made the move to the countryside. They all speak more Laos than Thai and I had to learn a different language but I can honestly say there is more laughter here and I too CHOOSE to live here. Best choice I made and you can easily live on 30,000 baht per month if you own a house. That's supporting a wife and child. I know plenty of guys up here living on less.

Excuse me if i m wrong, southern thais speak "tai" not Laos.

Hear here!!

Excuse me if i m wrong, southern thais speak "tai" not Laos.

I read it that he's talking about after he moved from Southern Thailand to the countryside, hence they speak Laos where he is now.

Indeed UG, so very true - But then not much of a problem unless they're talking about your money.

I must be one of the most fortunate farangs in Thailand.

Nice simple village life and also never at a loss for scintillating conversation from my close circle of Thai friends whenever I feel the need.

Honestly, if you feel the lack of a decent conversation then you really need to look at the people you are knocking around with.

To clarify, the "beer index" I've mentioned was a figurative term about comparing the cost of daily items between LOS and home. Beer can be subsititued with anything else one wishes (meals, taxi ride, etc.).

Some memebrs seem thrilled about living in the country side which certainly has its benefits. How are the medical services there? say in case one needs something more than a bandage or aspirin? do the medical staff speak English?. The boutique hospitals (Bumrungrad and alike) are in the major cities (BKK, Pats etc.) and fueled by farang money so it seems unlikely anything similar will be available to farmers in some remote village.

Lastly, how is the personal safety out in the countryside? being the "rich farang" who retires in a village seems to be asking for trouble (more breakins etc.).

To clarify, the "beer index" I've mentioned was a figurative term about comparing the cost of daily items between LOS and home. Beer can be subsititued with anything else one wishes (meals, taxi ride, etc.).

Some memebrs seem thrilled about living in the country side which certainly has its benefits. How are the medical services there? say in case one needs something more than a bandage or aspirin? do the medical staff speak English?. The boutique hospitals (Bumrungrad and alike) are in the major cities (BKK, Pats etc.) and fueled by farang money so it seems unlikely anything similar will be available to farmers in some remote village.

Lastly, how is the personal safety out in the countryside? being the "rich farang" who retires in a village seems to be asking for trouble (more breakins etc.).

Hi Rob.

Almost everything I buy here is cheaper than back home in the UK. I just had an early lunch at the local restaurant for 25 bht. I didn't need a taxi to get there as I used wifey's Mio. I also have my own pickup which was substantially cheaper than the same model back home when I bought it but is now on a par with the exchange rate dropping.

Touch wood I have only needed medical services once. That was for a bout of dengue fever and I used the hospital in the town 10 k's away. Treatment for what it was worth was fine. Kanchanaburi proper is 25-30 minutes drive away if I need a 'proper' hospital. By the way I have recently been given the Governments own 30 bht health card should I need the services of one of the state hospitals.

I have accompanied my wife to one of the hospitals in Kanchanaburi and the doctors there have differing levels of English, I think I could get by should the need arise.

As for the security aspects I have lived in Kan, in my wifes own small town and here in the village. With all honesty I feel very safe in the village. In town we rented in a private Moo Baan. Minor theft seemed a small irritant for a few of the neighbours. We also rented near to the inlaws for a short while. Every house is like Fort Knox, glass or barbed wire on the walls and grills on all the doors and windows. I just cannot live like that but the perception of crime and the reality are two different things imho.

I go out and lock the door of my house for sure but there are no grills on the doors and windows. Last theft that was talked about in the village was probably a stolen gas cylinder about 5 years ago that I'm aware of.

In my whole time in Thailand I have never felt under threat, if I did I wouldn't live where I am.

I take it you live here? Visited here before you decided to move here? Jazz bars, 'fine' restaurants,bowling (?!) ye gods. The rest are feely available here (perhaps a little more scarce in Isaan).

Why on Earth do you stay. Or don't you? In which case your post is pointless.

]

I take it you live here? Visited here before you decided to move here? Jazz bars, 'fine' restaurants,bowling (?!) ye gods. The rest are feely available here (perhaps a little more scarce in Isaan).

Why on Earth do you stay. Or don't you? In which case your post is pointless.

Yes, I live in Thailand. And love it. Been living in LOS off and on since 2002.

BKK has great jazz bars. Iron Fairy, Brown Sugar, Saxophone....great stuff. And yes, plenty of great restaurants...

Jazz bars are not freely available here...pretty much the same in the rest of the world. Only the larger cities have "great" jazz bars. Same with "fine" restaurants. Sorry, but I'm a bit picky. ;)