Sushi

alobar

there is a few nice sushi place i go ,

one is of cos the cheaper one at the Cm uni , but is not that fresh ,

another one is near a Ramem shop after the rim kam juction

that shop is call " YATAI " there sushi come in Fresh from Phuket every friday

so you get only friday and sat as well as lastest sunday for fresh sushi .

there is also a small suhi shopo . about 400 meter after suriwong book store .

just before K bank . their sushi look good cos i see alots of japanese there . price wise might be expensive .

but one thing i hate is FROZEN SUSHI !!!!!

i ever go to Airport plaza and there give me a Plate of frozen SUSHI . and i return it to the chef .

Edited by Ta22

"SUMO" just 2 doors down from Sucasa. Excellent "fancy" rolls like Spider Rolls, Rainbow Rolls etc...

"Tsunami" on Huay Kaew Rd. east of Canal on North side. Hugely popular. Take a number and wait for a seat. Not the best sushi but they serve heaps of it every night so must be fresh.

Tsunami is popular and fresh, but their fish slices are getting kinda paper-thin.

I was there last night, and 140 baht for 8 pieces (nigiri) (6 tuna, and 2 unagi) - good, but very thin. So thin that light comes through them...

Edited by wjmark

Ta22.. you should definitely wait for the sushi to thaw out unless you like fish popsicle... You could hurt your teeth eating frozen sushi.

Seriously though the freezing kills the parasites in Salmon and other fish that have them. Tuna does not have parasite issue but supposedly 100% of wild salmon does. I am guessing other species also.

It's not practical to turn the ship around everytime they catch a fish.... freezing locks in the nutrients and soft texture before rigor mortis sets in.

bon appetite

A Japanese acquaintance in my building mentioned he's going to the place almost opposite Hillside 4 on Huay Kaew Road.

I think it's called Megumi or something similar; I saw a sign flying past on the motorsai.

He pronounced it "Zero"

He says they have yellow tail (hamachi) and Spanish mackerel (aji) along with some other hard to find delicacies.

It's on the top of my list to try out soon.

Ta22.. you should definitely wait for the sushi to thaw out unless you like fish popsicle... You could hurt your teeth eating frozen sushi.

Seriously though the freezing kills the parasites in Salmon and other fish that have them. Tuna does not have parasite issue but supposedly 100% of wild salmon does. I am guessing other species also.

It's not practical to turn the ship around everytime they catch a fish.... freezing locks in the nutrients and soft texture before rigor mortis sets in.

bon appetite

I have been told that sushi fish is almost all flash-frozen these days which kills any parasites and retains all the flavor. I am not sure I buy it, but the information comes from very knowledgeable sources.

Sun Tori in next strip mall after Icon Computer, funny hrs., think they close on Wed. - Fri to go buy fresh fish at beach and bring it back. Mom and Pop place w/great lunch special, only 2 choices. But hrs real finicky, they run out os stuff and close but it's so worth it if open!!!! I like Tomi too, nice kid as well and i like to sit at a sushi bar

If you want seriously good Japanese food including sushi, try Tengoku opposite Mandarin Oriental Dhara Devi. Maybe a special occasion place for some but the food is bloody good. Menu is influenced by some French fusion items like the signature dish, sushi foie gras. Simply the best quality salmon and tuna I have had in Chiangmai.

bon appetite

I have been told that sushi fish is almost all flash-frozen these days which kills any parasites and retains all the flavor. I am not sure I buy it, but the information comes from very knowledgeable sources.

U.G it depends who you speak to but we used to fly whole yellowfins from one of the great homes of tuna, Port Lincoln (South Australia) and carve it up in font of patrons. It always arrived in foam containers approximately 4-6 hours after being caught covered in ice and yes, it was practically frozen. The skin and about the first 1-2 centimetres was partially frozen.

U.G it depends who you speak to but we used to fly whole yellowfins from one of the great homes of tuna, Port Lincoln (South Australia) and carve it up in font of patrons. It always arrived in foam containers approximately 4-6 hours after being caught covered in ice and yes, it was practically frozen. The skin and about the first 1-2 centimetres was partially frozen.

Well we can only dream of such freshness here in Chiang Mai.

The one seriously good Sushi I've tried here is called Hush. It's in a large old Thai villa and I'd been meaning to keep it a secret but the recommendations above - some of which sound good - have made me change my mind. That said - it's in a small soi somewhere behind the road that goes along the Ping river where Riverside etc are located. Sorry I don't have an exact address or better instructions on how to get there.

Where's the Dhara Devi? Tengoku, Megumi, and Sumo sound like they're worth trying out. Always viewed Sumo with suspicion but I am passing by there every day so might as well try it.

I am not eating the stuff that Central-Zen / Fuji are calling Sushi...

there is many frozen process nowaday ..

as much as i enough fresh sushi .

is hard to get in chiangmai specially . some of the rare fish . not like in japan when i stay there for you get very fresh sushi .

when i said i HATE FROZEN SUSHI .

i MEant what i said .. Cos THai Japanese Chef . will Serve you a DIsh of Sashimi While the Fish is Still FROZEN .

any shop who do that is not a Japanese Food maker . or at least the are trying to make Thai food look like japanese .

so if you just want to eat jap food look alike . you can find many place in Chiangmai .

Well we can only dream of such freshness here in Chiang Mai.

The one seriously good Sushi I've tried here is called Hush. It's in a large old Thai villa and I'd been meaning to keep it a secret but the recommendations above - some of which sound good - have made me change my mind. That said - it's in a small soi somewhere behind the road that goes along the Ping river where Riverside etc are located. Sorry I don't have an exact address or better instructions on how to get there.

Where's the Dhara Devi? Tengoku, Megumi, and Sumo sound like they're worth trying out. Always viewed Sumo with suspicion but I am passing by there every day so might as well try it.

I am not eating the stuff that Central-Zen / Fuji are calling Sushi...

Coming from the airport let's say: take 1317 Sankhampaeng Road out of town, cross over Superhighway (11) and turn left at the first ring road (Rural Road). Just before the next main intersection (1006) turn left at a small soi signposted Manadarin Oriental Dhara Devi. Snakes for about 1km or so. Park at Dhara Devi - Tengoku is opposite the entrance.

• 4 weeks later...

"SUMO" just 2 doors down from Sucasa. Excellent "fancy" rolls like Spider Rolls, Rainbow Rolls etc...

"Tsunami" on Huay Kaew Rd. east of Canal on North side. Hugely popular. Take a number and wait for a seat. Not the best sushi but they serve heaps of it every night so must be fresh.

Love SUMO sushi. Then again, i eat veggie sushi, so i can only speak from a veggies pov. For me SUMO gets the texture right. The rice is to my liking. He does an amazing cream cheese sushi as well.

We often have Rimping's salmon sushi at home, 830b /kg , plus Wasabi don't need anything else for dinner, not even rice.

Sushi consists of rice, the salmon sashimi is quite nice though. Although one brand is definitely better than the other, just know it by sight though!

I agree with Lingnoi about Tengoku---seriously good Japanese food. However, for really fresh sushi try Junglechef's recommendation and go to Sun Tori. When I asked why it was closed Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I was told that every week during these days the owners drive down to Sri Racha district in Chonburi province to select and buy fish straight from the boat. They then put the fish on ice and drive it back to Chiang Mai. This way the fish served from Saturday to Tuesday is as fresh as possible (given how far Chiang Mai is from the sea). Mrs. Nong, co-owner of the restaurant with her husband Mr. Sombot, who is the chef, even showed us photos of the boats they bought from. They have been doing this for seventeen years. In addition to fresh fish, they use only organic vegetables and only organic rice imported from Japan, and no MSG. Well worth trying if you like sushi.

Thank for correction, I'll always confuse this.

If you want to spoil yourself buy some 200gr + salmon Sashimi in one piece , not the pre-cut from Rimping, for which the price some 100b higher.

I've never thought of doing that ! silly me.. Always buy the pre-cut ! Next time...

I also like Hush, as mentioned above, specifically the homey family atmosphere. Exactly that is also present in a small shop on Sridonchai Road, on the side of the road going towards the moat. (In between Saeng Tawan intersection and the moat). Feels very Tokyo in there, and excellent food. Similar prices to Hush, so kind of mid-range for Japanese food.