Smartphone Service Plans

lomatopo

I was in telewiz (AIS) shop recently and I saw a pamplet in thai advertising iSmart packages. It appears that this can apply to any smartphone (or any phone), not just iPhone. (separate Iphone package shown later in the pamphlet. They had unlimited 3g with 1gb fair use cap @ 399/mo. post-fair use cap speeds drop to a whopping 64Kbps. I believe this is for postpaid plans, but it appears that some of these options are for prepaid customers as well. The tablet package seems most interesting, as you get 2GB and unlimited wifi for 559/mo with fair use limit speed of 384Kbps (they might have just forgotten to update that and the Blackberry fair use speed also) http://www.ais.co.th...e_packages.aspx Let me post the image here also:

post-109486-0-04993800-1334810937_thumb.

Another noteworthy item is the "multiSIM" service where you can have 1 phone number, but add up to 4 additional sims and share the data between all of the devices. This is pure marketing hype, because if you are buying these type of devices that you would want to share, you can get a mifi device for 3000-5000 baht and/or turn on the mobile hotspot feature on 1 sim and share it.

The only advantage i could find to using multiple sims is that you could get the full strength of the bandwidth i.e. you have one laptop doing bit-torrent or downloading large files, and a smartphone downloading a ringtone, small app, or checking email. Can this be accomplished with multiple sims, even if they share 1 account (number). If that is the case, then couldn't you use a multiple-sim device and pair the signals or bandwidth together to get a faster download speed?

Edited by 4evermaat

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

386kbps is still base on 3G or it will be back to 2G network? Anyone tried the speed test to the same server with 386kbp speed?

3G. They don't flip you over to edge, they just limit your bandwidth to 384kbps and, it seems to be a MIR of 384, not a CIR of 384 - although it's still very useable.

Another noteworthy item is the "multiSIM" service where you can have 1 phone number, but add up to 4 additional sims and share the data between all of the devices. This is pure marketing hype, because if you are buying these type of devices that you would want to share, you can get a mifi device for 3000-5000 baht and/or turn on the mobile hotspot feature on 1 sim and share it.

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick... That feature's not just hype... Many people have more than one device that needs a sim/data but they only need one phone. The ability to have your other devices share the same data connection (without needing a MiFi) as your phone is very useful... Also if you do it with a MiFi, you need one chip for the MiFi and another chip for your phone...

ic.. Do they have prepaid sim? At their web, only mention about postpaid plan

If by "they" you mean Truemove-H, yes. You can buy a prepaid chip at pretty much any phone outlet.

icbw but I think it's only CAT that are limited to postpaid (unless even My by CAT does prepaid these days)

Service Provider TRUE H

Location Pattaya

Plan Name/Description unlimited 599(i think thats what its called)

Pre-paid or post-paid post paid

Price/month 599+VAT

Contract length, if post-paid, NO TERMS

Voice: allowance (min.), price/min. over allownace 300 min

SMS/MMS:allowance, cost per over allowance i think 50 or so

GPRS/EDGE: hours? MB? unlimited? price per min or B over allowances

3G: hours? MB? unlimited? price per min or B over allowances 3G UNLIMITED PLUS FREE WIFI IN TRUE WIFI ZONES

Rate overall satisfaction 1 (bad) - 10 (perfect) 9

3G coverage: 1 (bad) - 10 (perfect)9

The primary application for Multi-SIM is for use in multiple phones for voice applications rather than data.

Very rarely would I disagree with you, but in this case I think you got it backwards. Multi-sim is so that you can use your regular sim in your phone and one or more "data" sims (on the same account) in Kindle, Tablet, Netbook, MiFi, whatever - i.e. devices that benefit from 3G connectivity but don't benefit from or need voice.

Service Provider TRUE H

Location Pattaya

Price/month 599+VAT

3G: hours? MB? unlimited? price per min or B over allowances 3G UNLIMITED PLUS FREE WIFI IN TRUE WIFI ZONES

- What is the Fair Use amount? Although you get "Unlimited" use of data, they give you a certain allotment at fullspeed, afterwards they throttle it down to as low as 64 Kbps

- Did you need a work permit or other address proof for post-paid plan?

depending on your responses, this might be better than myClick 590 (MyByCAT) which is unlimited 3g with 4GB fair use limit 384 Kbps. It also offers 100 SMS free. but you get the added bonus of a few free voice minutes and unlimited True Wifi, which may work well if you are in a wifi area.

The primary application for Multi-SIM is for use in multiple phones for voice applications rather than data.

Very rarely would I disagree with you, but in this case I think you got it backwards. Multi-sim is so that you can use your regular sim in your phone and one or more "data" sims (on the same account) in Kindle, Tablet, Netbook, MiFi, whatever - i.e. devices that benefit from 3G connectivity but don't benefit from or need voice.

It does appear to be advertised as a data advantage, not voice. I suppose if you have one company, you can caller ID display the same phone number when calling multiple clients from multiple cell phones, and it is all billed to one #?

post-109486-0-92627700-1334898322_thumb.

My argument is that for billing it may be a bit convenient to have 1 account # that could track multiple sims, but unless each sim can access full internet bandwidth of an individual sim (e.g. "up to 42Mbps down"), it would be easier to either have a mifi device and share one sim or use one of the devices as a mobile hotspot.

Edited by 4evermaat

I have had my AIS one-two call SIM for many years. Since Dtac EDGE worked better here I was sorely tempted to try to transfer my AIS number to Dtac. I'm glad I didn't. Dtac apparently has many problems and after a couple of weeks, it appears they have made no progress fixing their problems.

Getting back on topic, I have no other option other than AIS EDGE. Dtac has turned to pure crap and True has no signal here. I guess that I'm fortunate to have CAT EVDO service in my home however long as that service may last.

Had CAT bought Hutch, they would have had the only 3G equivalent system to cover the entire country.

Gary - If you can see CAT there's a chance you'll also see True-H. I battled with DTAC Edge for months before someone (I think Lomatopo) suggested I try True-H because their rollout was ahead of schedule and voila, I'm getting H+ on True-H... But neither AIS nor DTAC have reached here (with 3G) yet...

I guess it depends if CAT are rolling out True-H on the EVDO towers as well as the CDMA towers? That, I'm not sure about...

Service Provider TRUE H

Location Pattaya

Price/month 599+VAT

- What is the Fair Use amount? Although you get "Unlimited" use of data, they give you a certain allotment at fullspeed, afterwards they throttle it down to as low as 64 Kbps

- Did you need a work permit or other address proof for post-paid plan?

depending on your responses, this might be better than myClick 590 (MyByCAT) which is unlimited 3g with 4GB fair use limit 384 Kbps. It also offers 100 SMS free. but you get the added bonus of a few free voice minutes and unlimited True Wifi, which may work well if you are in a wifi area..........

I searched the truemove H and truemove corp site and could not find this postpaid plan for 599. I never saw it before (i know because I looked). It seems that for true h there is no real difference between post and prepaid options. I'm wondering if this was some special promotion like at some expo or in-store only or some mailer for pre-existing customers? I cannot find an unlimited internet plan for 599 on true h. And if so, what is the fair use cap? The closest one i found was for 649 bt with 250 voice min all networks, 1.5GB data (not unlimited), and wifi unlimited. The iPhone had a 599 "L" special with 300 voice min and 2GB data (not unlimited).

http://www.truemove-...osurf-talk.aspx

post-109486-0-54539700-1334911039_thumb.

http://www3.truecorp...ackagedetail/95

It seems that those who want the maximum amount of internet data and minutes have to shoot for MySmart 790 baht plan

post-109486-0-29459600-1334911314_thumb.

500 voice minutes, 4GB data with fair use throttle at 384Kbps (for now), 300 SMS. There is no contract term either for the MyByCat plans. (it is postpaid and you will need to sign up for it....and it seems to be work permit/proof of residence-friendly depending on the Cat office)

Edited by 4evermaat

Gary - If you can see CAT there's a chance you'll also see True-H. I battled with DTAC Edge for months before someone (I think Lomatopo) suggested I try True-H because their rollout was ahead of schedule and voila, I'm getting H+ on True-H... But neither AIS nor DTAC have reached here (with 3G) yet...

I guess it depends if CAT are rolling out True-H on the EVDO towers as well as the CDMA towers? That, I'm not sure about...

+1 Yep, it appears so, and vice versa as old truemove towers became true-H or had true-H added, so CAT would implement their network on those also. Technically True H is a reseller of CAT (MyByCat) the network is exactly the same. The only difference is the service and how the customer plans are implemented.

But yes, I would test with a truemove H prepaid sim or myCat post paid Sim and see if you get coverage. Don't let go of the Cat CDMA until you confirm the other service is working. In fact, I would continue to hold on to CDMA as it is the only unlimited (uncapped) 3G plan left. With a download manager, you'd be surprised how much you can download on a spare laptop with a big hard drive.

I suspect that CAT CDMA customers are changing to 3G whenever it becomes available in their areas. I say that because my connection is the best it has ever been. Maybe I'm wrong but CDMA seems to be getting better every week and I'm guessing that is because of less traffic and fewer customers.

I suspect that CAT CDMA customers are changing to 3G whenever it becomes available in their areas. I say that because my connection is the best it has ever been. Maybe I'm wrong but CDMA seems to be getting better every week and I'm guessing that is because of less traffic and fewer customers.

They save 230 baht with the new MyClick 590 plan. And there is an overall combined increase in coverage area with HPSA+ Althought they lose their unthrottled capability. For the casual thai internet user, 230 baht is free!

I am confused because I paid 799 baht + VAT for an unlimited month from TRUE MOVE H.

Now I have reached 3gb of uploaded/downloaded data and my speed has been reduced to 125kbps.

Okay, so how is that an unlimited plan? I guess by unlimited they meant speed? LOL, the speed was rarely over 2mb/2mb

Where can I actually find a plan that allows you to download/upload unlimited and not this 3gb bullshit?

Edited by farang000999

can someone tell me <deleted> this says

ไม่พบข้อมูลบริการ เนื่องจากท่านยังไม่เคยสมัครใช้บริการในกลุ่มทรู หรือ ลูกค้าแบบเติมเงิน กรุณาเชื่อมต่ออินเตอร์เนตด้วย 3G/EDGE/GPRS เพื่อเข้าใช้บริการค่ะ

i login on my true move h account in iservice and now anything i click like "check balance" or "buy package"

comes up with this response and nothing else.

Edited by farang000999

okay figured that out as well, i needed to log in online while using the sim card for my internet connection (crazy slow)

next problem is that i do not know how i can buy a new plan cause it appears when i go to "Buy Package" it does not list anything for 3G because I obviously already have a plan.

I cant find anyways to cancel my existing plan!!!

I am confused because I paid 799 baht + VAT for an unlimited month from TRUE MOVE H.

Now I have reached 3gb of uploaded/downloaded data and my speed has been reduced to 125kbps.

Okay, so how is that an unlimited plan? I guess by unlimited they meant speed? LOL, the speed was rarely over 2mb/2mb

Where can I actually find a plan that allows you to download/upload unlimited and not this 3gb bullshit?

AFAIK, only TOT has unlimited mobile broadband (3G) which has no fair-use thresholds/speed limits.

http://www.tot3g.net/GUI/PromotionInfo.aspx?pid=5

AFAIK, only TOT has unlimited mobile broadband (3G) which has no fair-use thresholds/speed limits.

http://www.tot3g.net...Info.aspx?pid=5

Cat CDMA, if they are in your service area and will still accept signups, will have unlimited 3G also with no fair use limit. I'm still on the 790 package, but I think this has increased to 990. Check the local office and mention 790 unlimited package and let them correct you. ;)

The speeds are usually really good depending on the area. It might be better now because some of the traffic load has shifted to the other wireless providers.

Surprised the price went up considering their newer technology, myByCat is 590 for unlimited with 4GB fair use cap, and the throttle download speed is supposed to be 384Kbps. will have to see.

When they mention unlimited, if there is a fair use cap, all of the carriers do clearly post this on the pamphlet, and the "unlimited" will usually have a * next to it. The only thing that has changed is the throttle speed.

I actually came here to show that AIS has a promotion that is basically a scaled down version of their smartphone monthly package.

WebPromo http://www.ais.co.th...otionOnWeb.html

49 baht/month

1bt/min voice calls 24 hours all networks (iNclude vat)

50 MB 3G/edge data, 1.92 baht/MB afterwards (INclude vat)

SMS 1 baht, MMS 3 baht (EXclude vat)

Great for people who barely use the internet, or SMS. I can then just layer on more internet when i travel into the city or if needed. But I don't pay the full price of 200 baht/mo if i never end up using the data or SMS from smartphone package. Basically, we don't get penalized for having a smartphone but forgetting to switch off the data. without some kind of plan, they will eat your balance down with the "by the minute" internet charge.

Normally these type of plans have some catch, like 3baht/sms or something obviously trying to get you to get the next higher plan or something. With this, it's not the end of the world if my gf cannot layer on mao mao, which gives 0.75 baht/min voice with a time limit or they even have mao mao where you can have 50% off regular call rate for 8 baht/day. This would make the voice calls for that day about 0.50-0.60 baht depending on how many minutes you use. That could add up if you talk a lot.

Screenshot for historical purposes:post-109486-0-98203100-1335780519_thumb.

vs.

Smartphone Monthly Package http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/pro-SmartPhone.html

199 baht/mo

1 baht/min voice calls all networks for 24 hours. (exclusive of VAT)

3G/Edge 200 MB for free. 5 baht/MB afterwards.

Free 100 SMSes, 2 baht afterwards (exclusive of VAT)

Free! 50 MMSes, 3 baht afterwards (exclusive of VAT)

can someone please tell me where i can go to a TOT shop to buy a 3g sim?

went to a big c yesterday and none of the 5 shops had any TOT 4g sims.

I am in thong lo area.

i see no location list on that website.

thanks

also what is your experience with TOT... is it as fast and reliable as TRUE MOVE H ?

^ Maybe try Fortune Town?

It does look like that 2x promotion ended yesterday? If so, now 15 days/790 baht and 30 days/1490 baht.

3G speed/reliability is highly variable owing to location, and total number of subscribers. your mileage will vary. I assume your device supports 3G 2100 Mhz as this is the spectrum TOT uses.

You can also review TOT's MVNOs to see if they have any plans which meet your requirements?

http://www.tot3g.net/GUI/PromotionInfo.aspx?pid=7

do 3g sims in thailand only come in micro sim size or can you also get one in normal size sim? this is a problem i keep running into. i do not have a micosim cell phone just a cell that uses a regular sim card. this makes it harder as i cannot just order packages by dialing on my phone. thanks.

do 3g sims in thailand only come in micro sim size or can you also get one in normal size sim? this is a problem i keep running into. i do not have a micosim cell phone just a cell that uses a regular sim card. this makes it harder as i cannot just order packages by dialing on my phone. thanks.

ALL the sim cards I've seen here so far are "normal" size - it's just that the microsim version has an extra set of perforations to enable you to punch out the "microsim" part of it should you need to do so. As long as you don't punch it out, you have a regular size sim. It's a little more fragile than a normal sim because if the perforations, is all.

Microsims and normal sims are 100% identical other than physical size. In fact you can "make" a microsim out of a normal sim with a craft knife, at a push, by simply cutting it down to size. I have a machine (like a hole punch) for doing so. Why so many people think a microsim is some magical device (probably an idea perpetrated by the iDrones since they first appeared on iDevices) I don't know...

Anyway I mention that last part, because the physical size of the sim has absolutely nothing to do with what pachages you can order "by dialing on my phone"...

Edited by bobl

Maybe simplest to just buy a uSIM carrier; they are ~ 50 baht.

post-9615-0-61803500-1336007972_thumb.jp

Ok, so I had a 30 day package with True Move H for 3g to use with my aircard as previously mentioned. I used up my allowed fair usage (3g)... so now I am trying to purchase a new plan so that I can get off of the bare minimum reduced internet speed it allows for. But this does not appear possible.

When I enter in the code of the package I want to order, the SMS reply in Thai says that I already have unlimited internet. But I just want to start over so that my internet speed goes back up again. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Do I seriously have to wait until the end of the 30 days and cannot buy a new package right now?

Do I seriously have to wait until the end of the 30 days and cannot buy a new package right now?

Technically yes. I believe you can "cancel" your package thereby enabling you to activate a new one, but I don't think there's an automatic way of doing so, you would have to call their customer service. This could get tedious if you're doing it regularly.

If you absolutely can't live without "high speed" (personally I find 384kbps usable, even as a very heavy user) then your best option is alternating between two or more chips. I'd go for the cheapest way to get mass volumes of data, which would be 10Gb of "hi speed" before you'd need to change chips and activate another 10Gb on another chip. Rinse and repeat.