Ipad And Ibooks In Thailand

dekestone

For those who have bought an ipad in Thailand, can you confirm that they are fully functional here? Specifically, can you download the ibooks app and purchase books from the ibookstore?

I seem to remember Apple would not allow users in Thailand to download from the itunes library. Has that changed?

that has basically nothing to do with the device you are using, it's a matter of your iTunes account and where it is registered.

if you hava an US account .. you can purchase books in the us store with any device you authorized with. it does not matter where it is bought from.

that has basically nothing to do with the device you are using, it's a matter of your iTunes account and where it is registered.

if you hava an US account .. you can purchase books in the us store with any device you authorized with. it does not matter where it is bought from.

True enough, but in order to establish a US account you need a billing address in the US. If, like me, you have a credit card from a state side bank but a billing address in Thailand (because that's where I live!) you're not allowed to have a US account. This arrangement doesn't seem to bother Amazon or many other companies, btw, but Apple is not happy with it. So I had no choice but to establish a Thailand account. What this means as far as available products -- itunes, apps, and ibooks -- I can' say yet.

As negreanu has mentioned, this topic is regularly done to death.

Buy USA iTunes gift cards, through eBay or I believe you can buy them over the counter in Apple stores in BKK.

Open a USA iTunes account with a US address and credit your account with the gift cards.

You can buy most apps from the Thai store, although a few are only available from the US store. Music and movies etc are not available from the Thai store.

Never bought from iBooks, find their selection too limited; but have bought from both the US and UK Kindle store on the iPad using a UK credit card.

Demonoid is even cheaper

Should mention that iBooks can handle open e-book formats, e.g. in theory you could download stuff and add it to your iBooks library, I guess via iTunes - haven't tried it though.

As far as iTunes is concerned, open a US based account. It's the only way to go. Regardless of whether you're based in the US or not.

App Store works fine with Thai credit card, however the US copyright owners of movies and music don't allow any company selling digital content to Thai customers incl. Apple.

As for books, the iPad Kindle app is much better than iBooks and Amazon has way more titles available too so no problem there.