Long Flights With Small Kids.

Richb2004v2

:whistling:

I thought everbody knew this.

Very young children haven't developed the reflex to swallow to equalize the air pressure in the throat and ear/nose canal. The suddden changes during takeoff and descent are a problem for them because of that. The pressure causes pain and discomfort in their ear canals.

What you should do is put them over your shoulder and pat them on the back gently...which causes them to burp. The burp releases the pressure and relieves their discomfort.

However, by 18 months I would expect many of them would have already learned to swallow to relieve the pressure. If they have, just taking them up from a seated position and holding them up on their feet could cause them to burp...and solve the problem naturally.

Drugging them is a very bad idea. Why would you want to drug your children, anyhow? But bringing a botle of some juice, milk, or whatever they like to drink is fair game. It will relax them when they start to get tired, and they will drop off to sleep contented (at least that's the theory).

Then of course their attention spans are less than an adult. Think about it, if you were only 18 months old, an hour would be a much greater poportion of your lfe than it would for an adult. So you shouldn't expect them to sit still for an hour. Bring a lot of activities, those that they have to sit and watch (such as books they like for example). If you can keep them still and relaxed long enough the sleep reflex will take over. (again, in theory anyhow).

If nothing else works...play with them. Lift them, let them stand up and climb on you, and so on. That should tire them out naturally. Who knows, you might even enjoy it also.

:lol:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:whistling:

I thought everbody knew this.

Very young children haven't developed the reflex to swallow to equalize the air pressure in the throat and ear/nose canal. The suddden changes during takeoff and descent are a problem for them because of that. The pressure causes pain and discomfort in their ear canals.

What you should do is put them over your shoulder and pat them on the back gently...which causes them to burp. The burp releases the pressure and relieves their discomfort.

However, by 18 months I would expect many of them would have already learned to swallow to relieve the pressure. If they have, just taking them up from a seated position and holding them up on their feet could cause them to burp...and solve the problem naturally.

Drugging them is a very bad idea. Why would you want to drug your children, anyhow? But bringing a botle of some juice, milk, or whatever they like to drink is fair game. It will relax them when they start to get tired, and they will drop off to sleep contented (at least that's the theory).

Then of course their attention spans are less than an adult. Think about it, if you were only 18 months old, an hour would be a much greater poportion of your lfe than it would for an adult. So you shouldn't expect them to sit still for an hour. Bring a lot of activities, those that they have to sit and watch (such as books they like for example). If you can keep them still and relaxed long enough the sleep reflex will take over. (again, in theory anyhow).

If nothing else works...play with them. Lift them, let them stand up and climb on you, and so on. That should tire them out naturally. Who knows, you might even enjoy it also.

:lol:

Thanks for that input. :)

just an other point: the 'drugging them' is actually giving them something that dries up the snot in nose and ear canals so that they have less fluids and therefore causes less problems, and the acamol/ibrofen pain killers help relieve the pain before it becomes very harsh... depending on what allergy med u are giving also gives the affects of either sleepiness (chlortrimeton type oens) or wakes them up (sudafed types which are also banned in some countries)... also, always try meds out before the flight to see if they give the wanted affect and u dont have a kid bouncing off the walls or making him anxios (an after effect of some allergy meds like sudafed and other decongenstants).

otrivin nasal liquid/spray was a blessing for me and for my kids...btw.

bina

absolutely, we took a flight bkk - london with our son then 2 years old & a couple across the isle had an 18 month old girl, they spent the flight drinking & sleeping with blankets over their heads whilst their kid screamed & played up. our son? quiet, occupied with activities with both or one of us watching, talking to & engaging him at all times. He slept for the last 5 hrs so we were able to relax a bit but neither of us consumes alcohol excessively (me not at all, Mr boo a couple of whiskey shots for flight nerves) and we both know that we sacrifice inflight entertainment to keep him happy. The older couple behind us actually thanked us when the flight landed & admitted they were dreading the 13hr trip with a kid in front but had been pleasantly proved wrong. :)

I don't think the people around the other couple were so happy :(

Now he's older a portable dvd player & a cd case full of his fav movies/cbeebie shows is a real life saver too.

absolutely, we took a flight bkk - london with our son then 2 years old & a couple across the isle had an 18 month old girl, they spent the flight drinking & sleeping with blankets over their heads whilst their kid screamed & played up. our son? quiet, occupied with activities with both or one of us watching, talking to & engaging him at all times. He slept for the last 5 hrs so we were able to relax a bit but neither of us consumes alcohol excessively (me not at all, Mr boo a couple of whiskey shots for flight nerves) and we both know that we sacrifice inflight entertainment to keep him happy. The older couple behind us actually thanked us when the flight landed & admitted they were dreading the 13hr trip with a kid in front but had been pleasantly proved wrong. :)

I don't think the people around the other couple were so happy :(

Now he's older a portable dvd player & a cd case full of his fav movies/cbeebie shows is a real life saver too.

Yes exactly...keeping your child busy is must and well Im going in one week time with my 12 week old daughter [Germany to Thailand], for now im hoping that milk and sleep will keep her occupied but Im already thinking of buying one of those portable dvdplayers when she's a bit older...along with some books and well the usual to keep her busy...

Last time I came back, there was a thai lady with 2 toddlers and she came in fell asleep and the two boys where left to themselfs...throwing food, screaming, hiting eachother...The plane staff and people sitting around where trying to tell her to look after her kids but she didnt care, it was a nightmare...ah well looking forward to be one of those persons with a kid that people hope so dearly not to sit next too! Hahaha!

a 12 weeks your baby will likely sleep the whole trip, that's what happened when we took Baby boo to bkk at 11 weeks. fed him on take off & he slept for 4 hrs, woke up for a feed & nappy change then slept for another 4hrs, woke up for a feed & nappy change, then guess what, back to sleep till we had to take him out of the bassinet on landing :D I'm sure you will do fine. :)

neither of us consumes alcohol excessively (me not at all, Mr boo a couple of whiskey shots for flight nerves)

Um, totally off topic here boo, but I am guessing you mean you don't consume alcohol excessively on planes and/or with your son around? (and yes I have the pics to prove it :P)