Road Trip Photos

buadhai

We had a lot of rain, but that was fine with us. Nice and cool. And, we saw almost no farang. No tourists at all, really. I've started another thread to discuss this:

Tourists -- Where the heck are they?

This was my second trip to this area. I did it by bus in 2000. I'm fascinated by the river and the culture along it, so I very much enjoyed being able to drive my own car on the small riverside roads that the buses eschew. Also, it was nice to be able to drive off the beaten path to see things that would be hard to reach otherwise. (The rock carvings and national parks, for example.)

Sometimes I think that people don't give Isaan credit for the beauty it contains. Sure, a lot of it is flat and agricultural, but it has some great beauty and fascinating cultural artifacts. Well worth a visit.

Sometimes I think that people don't give Isaan credit for the beauty it contains. Sure, a lot of it is flat and agricultural, but it has some great beauty and fascinating cultural artifacts. Well worth a visit.

Agreed,

I have always liked Issan, for many different reasons.

Visited many times.

Starting to build a house there this year and when I retire I will

take off from there on exploration trips.

Looking forward to it.

Nice photos. Clock tower in NKP is the "Ho Chi Minh" clock tower (apparently he had lived there eons ago).Stationed there during "Stupid American War I," I found this clock tower dedicated to Uncle Ho as somewhat ironic.

But nice to see it again.

I've put up a gallery of photos taken on our recent road trip to northeast Isaan. (A phrase gratuitously brought to you, free of charge, by the Department of Redundancies Department.)

Along the Mae Nam Kong (Mekong River)

Nice album.

Thanks for putting it up.

Can you tell me where that seafood restaurant is in Khon Kaen?

Cheers,

john

Can you tell me where that seafood restaurant is in Khon Kaen?

It's on the road that runs around Bung Kaen Nakhon Lake. It's at the southeast corner of the lake, just across the road from a car park and view point.

There are many other restaurants in the vicinity, but this was one of the few open at lunch time.

The food was quite good. We had Pak Bun Fai Daeng and Yam Pla Dook Foo.

They say that they put out a display of fresh seafood at dinner time. But I always wonder how "fresh" seafood could be in Isaan....

Wow Mike,

Must have just missed you... We took a 29 day, 3400 Km, trip through 19 provinces of Issan... and viewed the river everywhere along the river from Loei to Ubon. Fantastic trip seeing fantastic sights and meeting fantastic people.... :o

Nice photos. Clock tower in NKP is the "Ho Chi Minh" clock tower (apparently he had lived there eons ago).Stationed there during "Stupid American War I," I found this clock tower dedicated to Uncle Ho as somewhat ironic.

But nice to see it again.

Nakhon Phanom ("City of Mountains", although all the mountains are on the Laos side) riverview:

cfdb.jpg

Visited Ho Chi Minh's house. He lived there in NKP during the late 1920's to 1930:

961c.jpg

Nice pictures mate.. Nice to see some of Mukdahan, I've got to go there later in the year.  :D

totster  :D

The River at Mukdahan with the bridge under construction in the far background (just 2 weeks before the dreadful collapse that killed 4):

3254.jpg

The River at Khong Chiam, Ubon Ratchathani (where the River finally leaves Thailand and goes into Laos.

1df8.jpg

and my favorite....The River at sunrise in Chiang Khan, Loei:

1c2d.jpg

Edited by sriracha john

Nice pictures mate.. Nice to see some of Mukdahan, I've got to go there later in the year.  :o

I think Mukdahan is a place to watch. Of course when (if?) the bridge is finished commerce through the city will dramatically increase. They seem to be gearing up for this by improving the downtown infrastructure: repaving all the streets and burying overhead utilities. The promenade along the river is attractive and nicely done. The Talat Indochine, while not as important as it was Before Globalization, is still a lively and fun place to spend some time. (We bought a bag of Lao Coffee and a bunch of interesting orchids.)

Thanks for your photos sriracha john. After your month-long tour, have any suggestions for my Isaan Dining Guide?

We hope to make monthly two or three day trips around Isaan. It's a beautiful area with loads to see.

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed,

I have always liked Issan, for many different reasons.

Visited many times.

Starting to build a house there this year and when I retire I will

take off from there on exploration trips.

Looking forward to it.

Where are you building, Bullit?

I bought a piece of land in Chanuman, about 40 km south of Mukdahan right on the riverfront. will start building in about a year. I'm the only farang there as far as I know.

Nick