Nisa/Emporium

Deserted

I'm sure I scoped out their school at some point in time. Not the Emporium Tower branch but the other one, as the address seemed familiar. Quite honestly, I can't recall it, as all the schools I've observed tend to blur into each other. They won't stick in my mind unless they have a stellar program :) or a whacked one, :o lol.

I did call the Emporium branch to see when it was convenient for me to show up.

FWIW: when I call new schools, I compel them to speak engrish ONLY, like I'm a 'fresh off the boat' foreigner wantin' ta learn thai. When I called Nisa’s Emporium branch I had to go thru two different people before the third one spoke adequate english. I finally did end up speaking to her in thai; only because to qualify for the level of class the O/P was asking about, without attending their earlier levels you hafta speak, read, and quite possibly write at least some thai.

In looking at their marginally functional web site ;) , I saw the posted pix of their student field trips. It would appear based on the pix the school is comprised of mostly asian students with a very few long nose's (foreigners) thrown in. I would think they're kinda like the other private thai language schools which concentrates their marketing to other asian countries.

I've sat sample classes at thai language schools filled only with Koreans and Japanese students. Unless you're REALLY motivated to learn, those asians will leave a 'normal' foreigner in the proverbial dust with their almost maniacal drive to excel in thai. It can be off-putting to some foreigners who attend thai language classes with only asian students. :ermm:

I'm going over there tomorrow after lunch around 1PM. I'll letcha know what I think of their material. ..

Please remember these are my observations ONLY, and I don’t work for nor am affiliated with ANY thai language school. I just scope ‘em out for fun and out of boredom :blink: .

My observations may differ from yours.

I'm sure I scoped out their school at some point in time. Not the Emporium Tower branch but the other one, as the address seemed familiar. Quite honestly, I can't recall it, as all the schools I've observed tend to blur into each other. They won't stick in my mind unless they have a stellar program :) or a whacked one, :o lol.

I did call the Emporium branch to see when it was convenient for me to show up.

FWIW: when I call new schools, I compel them to speak engrish ONLY, like I'm a 'fresh off the boat' foreigner wantin' ta learn thai. When I called Nisa's Emporium branch I had to go thru two different people before the third one spoke adequate english. I finally did end up speaking to her in thai; only because to qualify for the level of class the O/P was asking about, without attending their earlier levels you hafta speak, read, and quite possibly write at least some thai.

In looking at their marginally functional web site ;) , I saw the posted pix of their student field trips. It would appear based on the pix the school is comprised of mostly asian students with a very few long nose's (foreigners) thrown in. I would think they're kinda like the other private thai language schools which concentrates their marketing to other asian countries.

I've sat sample classes at thai language schools filled only with Koreans and Japanese students. Unless you're REALLY motivated to learn, those asians will leave a 'normal' foreigner in the proverbial dust with their almost maniacal drive to excel in thai. It can be off-putting to some foreigners who attend thai language classes with only asian students. :ermm:

I'm going over there tomorrow after lunch around 1PM. I'll letcha know what I think of their material. ..

Please remember these are my observations ONLY, and I don't work for nor am affiliated with ANY thai language school. I just scope 'em out for fun and out of boredom :blink: .

My observations may differ from yours.

Your observations are as valid as anyone else's and I won't take them for anything other than that. Please do let us know how you get on there and what you think of it.

Thanks for the post.

I thought I'd heard of that school before and when I went to the Emporium Tower branch I remembered the logo on the text books from touring their other location.

I think they've got good material. Their basic level stuff is available in karaoke or thai, and their conversation based materials are as well. The more advanced thai reading writing class materials are just in thai of course. Their reading books are ones I've seen before at other schools. They have short stories about topics such as seasons in thailand, fruits of thailand, etc, with questions after the stories to gauge comprehension.

The price of the school is in line with everyone else, although I didn't ask them about ED Visa assistance. In the price sheet they gave me it shows a reading, writing, conversation based class is 3 hours a day, 5 days a week, which last for 10 weeks, so about 150 hours. I don't know if you could spread it out further or not.

The staff was friendly and it is a nicely laid out school. I asked about sitting a class for observation, but this is the holiday and their students don't come back until after the new year. They did say I was welcome to observe one after they started back up.

I think you'd be fine going with them. They are certainly on par with Pro Language, Thai Language Solutions, Language Express, etc in regards to their material, their methodology, etc.

I would advise you to sit few free classes at some different schools to get a feel for which method 'clicks' for your learning style.

Good luck, hope it helps. Sorry the review was a few days late. True Internet isn’t all it’s cracked up to be sometimes, lol

Thanks for taking the time to add the post. You're thoughts are much appreciated. I won't be in BKK for a few weeks yet, so no worries about the late post.

Will almost certainly make Nisa my first port of call and take it from there.

I'll post my findings.