Stop At An Accident?

DaengJonesie

I'm sure it has already been covered somewhere on here but I wish to tell my quick story.

I was traveling along the bypass towards Tesco in heavy traffic a few days back and was already in the outside lane as i was turning right at the intersection (forgot to add on my little Honda Wave). Knowing well what can happen in traffic I stayed well to the right as the cars in front kept slamming on their brakes as they were all driving to close together at around 40-50km/h. I'm following a pick-up truck who was following a Yaris or something like it stupidly close, then all of a sudden the Yaris stopped and the pick-up skidded into the back and hit it. Luckily police were standing near to the lights and came over straight away. I was stuck and with nowhere to go as the car behind me came within inches of hitting the truck after i steered left.

The non-farang man in the truck immediately started to point the finger at me for some unknown reason I presume trying to say I had caused it! The lovely policeman came over to me and asked in his best English if I had been hit or hit anything. I told him the only thing I hit was the curb when I swerved to avoid the pick-up, he laughed at helped me get the bike into a position where I could ride off despite the pick-up driver still pointing over towards me with another policeman.

There is an age-old tale in Thailand about not stopping at an accident if you were not involved and I totally agree with it. As heartless as it is, if someone would have died in the accident, say there was another motorcycle in front of the pick-up and the police weren't around I would have taken the blame at least to start with anyhows.

I might just add I've had a little prang on a bike and some very kind Thais picked me up, dusted me down, took to me hospital. So I would like to stop, but alas...

What would you do?

Unfortunately via my own experience and friends we have learnt not to stop - not even to iffer help and assistance as i have done previously as a First Aider and Rescue Diver so have some medical training. It just doesnt pay and that is through my own personal experience. Although it grieves me to say it and goes against all of my training and upbringing - DONT STOP

I wish things were different!!! :unsure:

Sorry as a follow on to this does anyone know if the "Good Samaritan" Law / rule applies here in Thailand as far as First Aid and giving assistance - in Europe and I think in America as well it does offer legal protection against claims........

If you have training in first aid and someone was injured and you think you can help them stop.

If YOU give me the money (sometimes millions ) to pay what it will be asked to be paid if something wrong happen,(look at some threads about this here on ThVisa, yes i will help........

If you have training in first aid and someone was injured and you think you can help them stop.

If YOU give me the money (sometimes millions ) to pay what it will be asked to be paid if something wrong happen,(look at some threads about this here on ThVisa, yes i will help........

What bike/car do you drive?

I will make a mental note not to stop if I see you on the road bleeding to death.

Karma works!

Years ago my son was here on a short holiday. He was driving my big bike along Nanai Rd and witnessed an accident on a taxi motorbike turning into Nanai 2. He stopped to offer assistance (as you would do in the UK). Suddenly it was all his fault and he had to pay for the taxi motor bike damage, and all the locals in the vicinity agreed. He brought the police and taxi guy back to my house and asked to borrow the huge amount of compensation demanded by the taxi guy and the police. He was truely terrified. I just went down and bargained with the police in my best Thai pointing out the damaged parts on the bike only cost a few hundred baht as I know how much parts cost. The police agreed with me. Taxi guy wanted payment for his lost time, I just stood my ground and offered 500 baht, police told him just to take it. The lesson I learned from this was not to stop at an accident and if the fault was mine then just to report at any police station within 24 hours as per Thai law. And call my motor insurance company rep (when in a car with full insurance) to deal with the flak and bogus claims.

I once watched two nutters chasing each other on scooters for reason I know not, the chaser not negotiating a sharp U Turn in front of me, dropped his bike, as I had pulled over (on a bike myself) to get out of harms way. His gear, a beaten up helmet, a glove, broken side mirror etc. were scattered all over the road, the chaser had already righted his bike and was off again after his victim, so I gathered his gear up off the road lest it be run over and sat there for a few mins on the bike waiting for him to return. He did shortly, but of course the peanut gallery that had gathered in the meantime along the road, started pointing to me as if I had swiped his gear, which I had already returned to him, and they came at me for money to replace/repair it. Dirty looks flying everywhere...... I was gobsmacked....... yeah like that's gonna happen. Don't stop!

Oz

Otherwise although things are improving here all the time i would not stop.

Yes, but only if no one is on scene or readily available to help, meaning out in the sticks for example, I will let the Thai's handle it's in a more populated area. I'd also stop to help a foreigner as I once did down in Phuket who had hit a car head on while passing up the beach road and it was another foreigner he hit ironically. He severed a thumb, separated a shoulder and broke a leg to begin with there was some other injuries but I don't think anything internal as he was stable..

It's horrible but true that as soon as we arrive here we are told by other Westerners NEVER to stop at an accident in which we are not involved, as we will be blamed...

It sounds as if things haven't changed - if there is a farang around, everybody nearby points at them.

Thank god I'm not a medic so don't have to think 'I could have helped'.

If there was nobody else around (unlikely in Phuket), I know I couldn't just leave someone injured in the road without trying to help - and I've no doubt we all feel the same way.

Edited by F1fanatic

No body will believe this but i actually saw 3 people in motorbike accidents today. First I was walking near the police station in Chalong..it just started to rain. White pickup jammed on the brakes because (i think) he saw an awesome somtum stand. Bike one with a lady on it applied the brakes....she hit the ground hard. Bike 2 panicked and hit the brakes too. White pick up relized the somtum and Bla rah wasnt so awesome and kept going. I actually recognized bike one girl as she works at one of my local drinking holes.....Did I stop walking?...not a chance! I kept walking to my origional destination and walked back and saw the wreckage.....not too bad. Both of the people were wearing helmets...which saved them...even though they were 200 baht ice cream container style helmets... Accident 2 (involving victim number 3) was up near Wat Chalong. I saw an absolute wreckage of a motorbike and a bloody falung wandering around with a mobile phone to his ear and a huge traffic jam heading to Phuket town.

The main reasons I dont stop is...

1) I dont speak enough Thai to call someone to get an ambulance to the scene,...and there is no proper addresses here...i would be telling the operator to go to the 42nd seven eleven on the chao fa road ....right next to the noodle stand with the honda shop nearby (not a chance!!)

2) I will get blamed for the accident and have to produce my credit card to pacify idiots that love money more than people

3) I am actually good at first aid as i get regularly trained for my job...but if I try to help somebody and fail in my attempts...out comes the wallet.

Sad but true....leave it to the locals

Edited by snamos

What depressing reading this litany of helpful souls set upon in the face of tragedy. I am lost for words. All I can do is wonder.

I wonder when this attitude of blame-the-outsider first began? What began it? Is it due to too many foreigners being here? This act of complicit false blame is some way to have revenge over imaginary injustices.

What depressing reading this litany of helpful souls set upon in the face of tragedy. I am lost for words. All I can do is wonder.

I wonder when this attitude of blame-the-outsider first began? What began it? Is it due to too many foreigners being here? This act of complicit false blame is some way to have revenge over imaginary injustices.

$$$$$$$$ there is your answer <<<<<

$$$$$$$$ there is your answer <<<<<

More like bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb but your point is made....

$$$$ there is your answer <<<<<

whats bbbbbb?

I witnessed an accident lately, two boys and no helmets on a click or some such thing rammed straight into the back of a stopped car at a set of traffic lights....

The cause, their curiousity !!!!! i drive a big bike and they had just cut onto the main road that i and the lights were on, the passenger heard me coming and tapped the driver on the shoulder to take look also THEN bang they ran straight into the stopped car....

And the irony, right outside a police box, i could see it all unfolding before my eyes.......did i stop....No chance...i wear a full face helmet and it was dusk, so i just slowly passed by the carnage (didn`t want to but had to) as i will not pay for someone elses misstake...i can`t afford to....but i do hope they survived..

I caused an accident in Phuket Town a year or so ago. I was in a traffic jam and stopped leaving a big gap so that a car waiting to come out from a junction on the left and turn right could do so.

He slowly inched his way forward, almost as if he couldn't believe he was being let out and then I heard the screech of tyres from behind me, then past my door and then saw the motor bike being dumped in the road as the stupid speeding Thai &lt;deleted&gt; tried to avoid the car.

He didn't and got up off the ground looking very dazed and stupid. The car driver carried on out of the junction and parked. I drove around the bike and carried on my way.

Definitely my fault.

I haven't stopped to let anyone out to turn right since.

$$ there is your answer <<<<<

whats bbbbbb?

Sawasdee baht.

Kob khun baht.

What a sad country Thailand is when we are all scared to stop and help someone in need, no I would not stop to help anyone especially idiots on big bikes doing a wheelie, my one experience of the one accident I have had here in Thailand was very good, Thai's helped me and my Thai GF plus the police were fantastic, the girl that caused the accident paid for everytthing well her insurance did!!

I'll add my experiences to this . . . a number of years ago I was returning home to my condo late at night driving my car. This was close to the Thaksin Bridge over the other side of the river. I'm driving along in the right hand lane at about 70kmh (3 lane road with central divider), roads were relatively quiet and a pickup truck pulls out of a side street at speed and nearly sideswipes me. Luckily I'd seen him and managed to brake, swerve and drive around this idiot without hitting anything. He ended up at 90 degrees to the road facing the divider although he didn't hit anything.

As there was no 'accident' as such, no one hit anything and no one was hurt I just continued on my way with a slightly higher heart rate and thanking my lucky stars that I'd managed to avoid the truck. 2 minutes later I arrived at a major junction ('under' the expressway) where I wanted to turn right. So, I'm sat there twiddling my thumbs, lights on, handbrake on, foot on brake, indicator going showing I'm turning right (am in the right turn only lane). Next thing I know, there's a very bright light in my mirrors, the sound of squealing brakes and a huge bang as a pickup truck plows into the back of me!

It was a fairly major impact that immediately hurt my neck and back but luckily the car wasn't pushed too far forward into crossing traffic so no one else was involved. I switched off the engine, made sure lights were still on and hazards operating and got out of the car to see what the hell had hit me. Surprise, surprise it was the same pickup truck that had nearly hit me a few minutes earlier. To say I was upset would be an understatement. I walk over to the truck and ask the driver to get out. He wouldn't get out and wouldn't turn off the ignition either. He then starts to try to back away the truck and to (I assume) drive away but both vehicles were stuck together so he didn't get far. I had to jump up to the open drivers window, reach in and grab the keys out of the ignition to stop him driving off. I get down with the keys in my hand and eventually the drivers door opened and a young kid gets out, aged about 13 I would have guessed, and drunk as anything. He staggers over to me and starts crying to me in Thai (my Thai was very bad at the time but I'm guessing something along the lines of sorry, please don't tell the Police, please don't tell my parents etc).

At this point other Thai motorbike riders have come on over to see what is going on and to help. They start laying into this kid verbally, telling him he's an idiot and could have killed someone etc (another motorbike rider translated it to me in pidgin English). The kid is down on his knees crying, wai'ing me and begging me not to have him arrested. At this point I'm at a loss what to do next so call the (Thai) gf to come on over and help sort this out as we only live 2 minutes away, so I'm just standing around unsure what to do next and hoping the insurance will cover the repairs to the car.

The kid then stops crying and decides to make a break for it and tries to run away. He was so drunk he could barely stand and was fairly quickly run to ground by the motorbike riders who frogmarched him back to the accident with his arm behind his back. Whilst this is going on another rider has called the Police and a few minutes later they (and my gf) arrive.

Now I'd heard the stories on here and other places about how any accident is the farangs fault so was a tad concerned that I'd somehow be to blame for this kid driving into the back of me, like if my car wasn't in front of his truck he wouldn't have hit me, therefore it must be my fault. I am pleased to say I was wrong. The motorbike riders had seen it all. They'd seen him nearly hit me earlier (and complimented my driving skills for avoiding the accident then! lol) and they'd seen me stop at the lights, stationery for at least 90 seconds before he then drove into me.

Long story short, the kid had got drunk, 'borrowed' his Uncle's pickup truck and gone for a ride. Despite the inconvenience of numerous visits to the Police station to sort things out, the Police were wonderful, the motorbike riders were great and there was never once a hint that I was to blame. The Uncle paid for all repairs and my medical bills. The Police made a full report etc but even asked me if I was prepared to let them give the kid just a warning rather than a full blown arrest and record for life. Having spoken to the kid when he was sober and spoken to the Uncle also, there was no way in the world this kid was going to do this again anytime soon so we agreed to let him off with a warning for which the Uncle was very grateful.

All in all, my experiences with accidents etc and the Police here have been good ones. As always in Thailand don't lose your head, keep calm, talk quietly and slowly and always be friendly and smiling when dealing with the Police, it saves a lot of problems. I also actually find it is better NOT to try to speak Thai, rather to speak English always.

To answer the original question in this thread, would I stop and help at an accident that I wasn't involved in? Yes, always, but that's just me . . . I tend to try to help others in need regardless of the circumstances, it's the same here as it would be in the west for me.

Just my 2 pennies worth . . . :)

Edited by Tatsujin

Years ago my son was here on a short holiday. He was driving my big bike along Nanai Rd and witnessed an accident on a taxi motorbike turning into Nanai 2. He stopped to offer assistance (as you would do in the UK). Suddenly it was all his fault and he had to pay for the taxi motor bike damage, and all the locals in the vicinity agreed. He brought the police and taxi guy back to my house and asked to borrow the huge amount of compensation demanded by the taxi guy and the police. He was truely terrified. I just went down and bargained with the police in my best Thai pointing out the damaged parts on the bike only cost a few hundred baht as I know how much parts cost. The police agreed with me. Taxi guy wanted payment for his lost time, I just stood my ground and offered 500 baht, police told him just to take it. The lesson I learned from this was not to stop at an accident and if the fault was mine then just to report at any police station within 24 hours as per Thai law. And call my motor insurance company rep (when in a car with full insurance) to deal with the flak and bogus claims.

I feel bad having to support this

All my life I have always stopped when arriving early to an accident scene, and give the assistance possible to give. Here in LOS 12 witnesses will say you (as a farang with a money tree back home) caused the accident, even if there is not a scratch on your vehicle.

If you are involved in an accident, its often better to drive to nearest police station and make a report asap, and call your insurance.

Since I became a Highway Police Volunteer I do stop on accident scenes, but only if I bring and can wear my Police ID visible. Provide first aid, make sure local Police and ambulance have been called, ask if they have insuranse, and recommend which hospital to go to.

$$ there is your answer <<<<<

whats bbbbbb?

bbbbbbbbbaht, bbbbbbbbloody bbbbb key stuck again.

If you hit someone, hopefully they die as it will be cheaper than them recovering in hospital.

Even a Thai guy told me if you hit someone and they aren't dead, put the car in reverse and finish them off.

years ago,i was driving in phuket in the rain,a car braked in front,bike behind skidded and went down,woman with a baby,18 months maybe.i was behind the bike,i stopped at the side of the road.a few cars pulled up and started saying blame the farang. as i had helped her off the road and she was only slightly injured i thought she would side with me.sure enough,yep,i was tailgating her and nudged her off the bike.15000b.i would not stop again,they were both uninjured but for a few scratches.i will drive round in future.

If you hit someone, hopefully they die as it will be cheaper than them recovering in hospital.

Even a Thai guy told me if you hit someone and they aren't dead, put the car in reverse and finish them off.

years ago,i was driving in phuket in the rain,a car braked in front,bike behind skidded and went down,woman with a baby,18 months maybe.i was behind the bike,i stopped at the side of the road.a few cars pulled up and started saying blame the farang. as i had helped her off the road and she was only slightly injured i thought she would side with me.sure enough,yep,i was tailgating her and nudged her off the bike.15000b.i would not stop again,they were both uninjured but for a few scratches.i will drive round in future.

:( :( :( :( and 18 months old too :angry::( :( :( ??

If you are involved in the accident you will be very grateful to your insurance representative if you have a good class 1 Insurance policy. They will deal with everything. Having recently used their service in a very small "knock" I would never drive in Thailand without full insurance (they were in attendance within 30 minutes after my telephone call to the insurance company).

Without their assistance it would have been my fault and I would have been fleeced. Infact they were in the process of fleecing me, in the Police Station, until the insurance rep turned up. At this point everyone involved except the other party and the officer at the police station dissapeared :whistling:

Could this be a geographical issues ?

i.e. in money hungry Phuket where locals perhaps have more questionable morals where money is regarded, could the 'innocent' Foreigner more likely to face some form of blame than say Bangkok where I suspect there is a greater number of middle class folk who choose a different moral view point?.

I would like to think that I always stop. But as each situation is different I suspect it's difficult to give a truthful answer until placed in the precise situation.

If someone doesn't appear to be seriously hurt, then perhaps I wouldn't bother. If no one else is around I would.

If faced with taking responsibility I would fight the accusations and perhaps even counter with some form of false accusation charges.

Could this be a geographical issues ?

i.e. in money hungry Phuket where locals perhaps have more questionable morals where money is regarded, could the 'innocent' Foreigner more likely to face some form of blame than say Bangkok where I suspect there is a greater number of middle class folk who choose a different moral view point?.

I would like to think that I always stop. But as each situation is different I suspect it's difficult to give a truthful answer until placed in the precise situation.

If someone doesn't appear to be seriously hurt, then perhaps I wouldn't bother. If no one else is around I would.

If faced with taking responsibility I would fight the accusations and perhaps even counter with some form of false accusation charges.

My experience with +400.000km around Thailand, its the same everywhere. It is culture in Thailand for the rich party of an accident to cover damages for both parties, as the poor motocy rider cant pay :rolleyes:

In one minor scratch accident in Hua Hin, 5-10 motocy taxis all wanted to witness I in my brand new 2008 Honda Accord was to blame for hitting a kid on Fino. I told the kid, who was to blame, take off and I ll pay for my car. Supported by the motocy taxis he insisted on going to Police station. He explained truthfully what happend, me and my TGF explained what happend and suggested again the kid to leave to avoid beeing charged by my insurancecompany. Police recommended him to leave, and he did. Motocy taxis would only witness false for money.