Questions About Life In Samui

well if you looking for good education and medical facilaties Samui is the wrong place, i left a few months ago after 9 years best thing i ever did. jsut got mail today from friend he is sick of the place and moving out.

all the people saying there is good education please give examples, and prices.

anyway just 2 questions has anybody left Samui and regretted it

has anybody like me left Smaui and thought it was the best thing they ever did, like me :rolleyes:

take care you dont get a place then some ignorant so so and opens an all night open air night club right next to you.

I happen to agree with you about education here being poor and the cost of it here is ridiculous.

You do though seem to take every oppotunity to knock the place and i would suggest that if you lived here for nine years i must have had some good points too. You have now left so why come on to the Samui thread just to knock the place? I would have thought you would have a keener interest in the Pattaya thread.

I still like the place but if you were to ask me what the biggest single problem facing Samui is i would have to say GREED.

I would have added policing but there does'nt appear to be any so could not be under consideration for the top spot. ;)

not every oppurtunity, if you check i post on numerous forums, good points where upto about 4 years ago, but this is about somebody bringing children to the island and asking about education and medical facilities, so where are they. i live about 12 miles outside Pattaya so of no interest.

good points yes usually in Dream Girls when customers had gone and we had a lock in that was out of this world on numerous occasions.:P

also Choeng Mon beach 4-5 years ago and rocky bay same time maybe longer. i do have a lot of good memeories but all to long ago, like you say now no policing these are things maybe the op should be made aware of, especially coming from BKK where there is good medical, good schooling and a certain level of policing.

the last straw was the fact that a bar like the gecko bar was allowed to open and keep people awake all night and nobody did a thing to stop it as in the police, at that point i realised i had to move to a more civilised part of Thailand..

All very fair comments there. Unfortunately things are unlikely to improve on these fronts because the local authorities and sadly some expats too have an attitude that if you don't like it, lump it. The late night party/loud music, springing up anywhere, whenever and nothing done about it scenario is why i will never buy a property here. You need to be able to move at the drop of a hat.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone on this thread is telling porkies.....:whistling:

Ok, i think you are referring to the "i would never buy a house "bit. ;) I will correct that to "will never buy another in the future"., if that pleases you, and ofcourse since its your birthday. :D

Someone on this thread is telling porkies.....:whistling:

Ok, i think you are referring to the "i would never buy a house "bit. ;) I will correct that to "will never buy another in the future"., if that pleases you, and ofcourse since its your birthday. :D

Satisfied. Carry on.....;):D

well if you looking for good education and medical facilaties Samui is the wrong place, i left a few months ago after 9 years best thing i ever did. jsut got mail today from friend he is sick of the place and moving out.

has anybody like me left Smaui and thought it was the best thing they ever did, like me :rolleyes:

take care you dont get a place then some ignorant so so and opens an all night open air night club right next to you.

I happen to agree with you about education here being poor and the cost of it here is ridiculous.

You do though seem to take every oppotunity to knock the place and i would suggest that if you lived here for nine years i must have had some good points too. You have now left so why come on to the Samui thread just to knock the place? I would have thought you would have a keener interest in the Pattaya thread.

I still like the place but if you were to ask me what the biggest single problem facing Samui is i would have to say GREED.

I would have added policing but there does'nt appear to be any so could not be under consideration for the top spot. ;)

Have been living on Samui for close to six years and have a 7 year old daughter. Although Samui has its problems in regards to infrastructure and public utilities, these are all livable with. In return you get white sandy beaches and 11 months of great weather! I totally disagree with the statement that there is no good education to be found on Samui. The International School Of Samui (formerlly Bluewater) is an international accredited school that offers good eductaion and excellent facilities. Of course it is a private school, so tuition fees are steep, but compared to other international schools in the country quite accepatable. Of course, I don't like paying close to USD 10,000 a year in fees, meals, uniforms and extra's, for a level of education that is on par with what is standard in Most Western European (non-UK) public schools. But then here we do not pay 40-50% income tax. It has to come from somewhere... It's either pay up, or send your kid to temple school.

I did a quick comparison of school fees for international schools in Thailand. I left out Bangkok, as there is too much choice there and prices and quality vary greatly and the OP is leaving Bangkok anyway. Here are the results, based on my dauhters fees, enrolled in Year 3. Behind the cost per year for tuition is the one-time cost for enrollment.

Year/Grade 3, 2010/2011: tuition per year / enrollment+registration fee:

International School Samui: 238,000 / 40,000

International School Eastern Seaboard, Ranong: 358,000 / 238,000

Phuket International Academy: 333,000 / 145,000 (+ 100,00 deposit)

The regent's School pattaya: 384,000 / 5,500 (+ 60,000 deposit)

St Andrews Green valley, Rayong: 354,750 / 62,500

Chiang Mai International School: 250,000 (154,000 when poor!) / 67,000

So only Chiang Mai can be a bit cheaper than on Samui, so for cheaper education there is no point in moving to Phuket or Pattaya.

To the OP: I trust you will have a wonderful time on paradise Samui!

Have been living on Samui for close to six years and have a 7 year old daughter. Although Samui has its problems in regards to infrastructure and public utilities, these are all livable with. In return you get white sandy beaches and 11 months of great weather! I totally disagree with the statement that there is no good education to be found on Samui. The International School Of Samui (formerlly Bluewater) is an international accredited school that offers good eductaion and excellent facilities. Of course it is a private school, so tuition fees are steep, but compared to other international schools in the country quite accepatable. Of course, I don't like paying close to USD 10,000 a year in fees, meals, uniforms and extra's, for a level of education that is on par with what is standard in Most Western European (non-UK) public schools. But then here we do not pay 40-50% income tax. It has to come from somewhere... It's either pay up, or send your kid to temple school.

I did a quick comparison of school fees for international schools in Thailand. I left out Bangkok, as there is too much choice there and prices and quality vary greatly and the OP is leaving Bangkok anyway. Here are the results, based on my dauhters fees, enrolled in Year 3. Behind the cost per year for tuition is the one-time cost for enrollment.

Year/Grade 3, 2010/2011: tuition per year / enrollment+registration fee:

International School Samui: 238,000 / 40,000

International School Eastern Seaboard, Ranong: 358,000 / 238,000

Phuket International Academy: 333,000 / 145,000 (+ 100,00 deposit)

The regent's School pattaya: 384,000 / 5,500 (+ 60,000 deposit)

St Andrews Green valley, Rayong: 354,750 / 62,500

Chiang Mai International School: 250,000 (154,000 when poor!) / 67,000

So only Chiang Mai can be a bit cheaper than on Samui, so for cheaper education there is no point in moving to Phuket or Pattaya.

To the OP: I trust you will have a wonderful time on paradise Samui!

Paradise! don't think so, Seychelles or Maldives maybe but samui hahahaha good for a holiday nothing more

Never lived there and you plan to move? Big mistake.

First have a look! Maybe for a month or so.

My personal!!! opinion:

What are the medical facilities like? Not so good.

Can you get everything you need there? No.

Is it more expensive than Bangkok? Depends. It is definitely more expensive then the mainland

Do you need a car to get around? With a family, absolutely.

Is it safe for young kids? No

Is there a good swim school? No

Which school would you recommend? None!

Is there a big expat community? No, only during high season it is infested with them. Rednoses i call them.

Lived there for a while (about 4 years ago), and went back recently for a short holiday.

Living there was because of the children increasingly difficult.

Holidays on Samui are great.

Khun Jean - I have not used this forum for around 3 years and recently joined again after failing to recall my username etc. I cant remember any posters by name from 3 years ago aside from yours now that I see it - I remember all you used to do was post pretty savage comments about Koh Samui and your name stood out. Didnt you live or have a business on the west side of the island? North of Lamai? Possibly an internet shop or something?

Samui has changed very much over the years but you can only consider that a bad thing if you have lived there before and thus have something to compare it to. To any Samui newbies, this would most likely be a breath of fresh air. I do prefer Samui 'of old' (I lived there for a few years and left in 2004) and yes it has changed but even when I holiday there now, I still see the beauty of the island.

Can you explain why it is not safe for young kids, given that the kids in question probably have a caring and responsible family to take care of them?

Can you also explain how ex-pats are only there during the high season? That does not realy make them an ex-pat does it? I think the poster wanted to know if there is a large community of people that live there permanently year round.... Of which there are many. When I holiday there even now, 6 years after I left, I still bump into many ex-pats that I knew from all those years ago.

I think the Bangkok Hospital is very good indeed.

Its no more expensive than Phuket, Hua HIn, Bangkok.

Yes you can get everything you need there.

Paradise! don't think so, Seychelles or Maldives maybe but samui hahahaha good for a holiday nothing more

OK for you.

I prefer a non Muslim country.

Seconded.

Thirded

Overall, my move to Dubai from Samui wasn't a mistake. Other than the prices being higher and having a general sense of being poor, Dubai is better, IMO.

There are many places I'd like to live, but nowhere 12 months out of the year. A few months on Samui, a few here, a few somewhere else.

Khun Jean your opinions are so out dated. Please just answer one question, When did you last live on Samui?

Honestly, having experienced a failed business venture here, you are qualified to comment? Maybe get yourself up to ate before you have a comment.

Please stop dragging that excuse out to invalidate a post. Do you really think that having a small internetshop that i closed down because competition and having most equipment stolen is a major live changing moment! I make my money in Europe so i am not depending on a small income from a shop like that, it is what you do when you get BORED! And that is what happens on Samui when you are not one of those that sit at a bar at 11 o'clock in the morning until midnight talking with your "friends" (fellow alcoholists) about a football club that plays a game 20.000 kilometer away, waking up the next morning and forgot about it so you repeat it the next day until the end of days. Sorry to shallow for both me and my wife.

I tell you what the live changing moment was, it was having kids that have nothing to do except play with sand and swim.

Wow. Hard life for the kids.... Swimming on a tropical beach and playing in the sand. It sounds like a sad Charles Dickens story.

Please tell me what has changed in the last few years that made that situation better.

Sure. You left. :lol:

And now, you go from this.....

Better schools? Like Bluewater? Did you ever go there? Did you see their prices? I have no expat package but with those prices i would not have much left for other important things like housing, insurances and savings.

To this.....

Do you really think that having a small internetshop that i closed down because competition and having most equipment stolen is a major live changing moment! I make my money in Europe so i am not depending on a small income from a shop like that

So which is it? You had a small internet shop that did not provide adequate returns to send your children to swimming lessons, OR you make your money in Europe and can afford to send your children to swimming school?

Are there better roads now? Chaweng not smelling like a sewer anymore while you have dinner in a "fancy" restaurant?

What is wrong with having dinner in a nice restaurant? Also I agree Chaweng can smell a little, occasionaly, at certain times of the day and in certain seasons but this is just Chaweng. I doubt the OP is going to move there family to a 3 bedroom house opposite Burger King.

Taxis have a meter now?

No. Thats why I have not used a taxi in to years on Samui. When I visit I have my own car and/or bike. The OP did mention they will use a car so they will not need a taxi either.

Still have to go to Lotus to buy the stuff you really need?

Yes. Again, what on earth is wrong with that?

How about the floods?

What about them? What about the snow in UK totaly disabling the country to function for a few weeks? It can happen anywhere in the world.

How about the garbage on the beaches?

I cant recall any 'hot spots' on the beach that are littered. To my mind the beaches of Samui are lovely and tropical. If you want to see rubbish on the beach go to Hua Hin, Phuket, Pattaya, Jomtien, Cha-Am.

How about the rip currents that kill a few people every year and nothing is done about it, like warnings?

Your kidding? Honestly that is your advice? One of the reasons you discourage people from moving to Samui owes to less than half a dozen tourists per year drowning as a result of rip tides? Sure, there should maybe be some type of awareness campaign to alert tourists of rip tides but then again, where are the campaigns all over Thailand for road safety which kills FAR more tourists per year?

Rolling blackouts during high season!! HaHaHaHa

12,000 Baht for a generator. Simple. Not essential but if the occasional blackouts are an issue, buy a generator.

Again not exclusive to Samui, but living there, can you escape it?

Can you escpae it if you live in BKK? Hua Hin? Phuket? So if you live in BKK and there is a powet cut, you would honestly jump in a taxi and visit Kanchanaburi for the day to escape the torture of no air con for 2 hours?

edit: Just to add. I am now in Bangkok and considering Krabi for one single reason! An international Montessori school. See where my priorities are?

Yes. Your priority seems to desire the highest form of education possible for your budget. Its a noble priority but by the same token, it is not essential as there are extremely good schools all over Thailand - including Samui.

Khun Jean your opinions are so out dated. Please just answer one question, When did you last live on Samui?

Honestly, having experienced a failed business venture here, you are qualified to comment? Maybe get yourself up to ate before you have a comment.

Please stop dragging that excuse out to invalidate a post. Do you really think that having a small internetshop that i closed down because competition and having most equipment stolen is a major live changing moment! I make my money in Europe so i am not depending on a small income from a shop like that, it is what you do when you get BORED! And that is what happens on Samui when you are not one of those that sit at a bar at 11 o'clock in the morning until midnight talking with your "friends" (fellow alcoholists) about a football club that plays a game 20.000 kilometer away, waking up the next morning and forgot about it so you repeat it the next day until the end of days. Sorry to shallow for both me and my wife.

I tell you what the live changing moment was, it was having kids that have nothing to do except play with sand and swim.

Wow. Hard life for the kids.... Swimming on a tropical beach and playing in the sand. It sounds like a sad Charles Dickens story.

Please tell me what has changed in the last few years that made that situation better.

Sure. You left. :lol:

And now, you go from this.....

Better schools? Like Bluewater? Did you ever go there? Did you see their prices? I have no expat package but with those prices i would not have much left for other important things like housing, insurances and savings.

To this.....

Do you really think that having a small internetshop that i closed down because competition and having most equipment stolen is a major live changing moment! I make my money in Europe so i am not depending on a small income from a shop like that

So which is it? You had a small internet shop that did not provide adequate returns to send your children to swimming lessons, OR you make your money in Europe and can afford to send your children to swimming school?

Are there better roads now? Chaweng not smelling like a sewer anymore while you have dinner in a "fancy" restaurant?

What is wrong with having dinner in a nice restaurant? Also I agree Chaweng can smell a little, occasionaly, at certain times of the day and in certain seasons but this is just Chaweng. I doubt the OP is going to move there family to a 3 bedroom house opposite Burger King.

Taxis have a meter now?

No. Thats why I have not used a taxi in to years on Samui. When I visit I have my own car and/or bike. The OP did mention they will use a car so they will not need a taxi either.

Still have to go to Lotus to buy the stuff you really need?

Yes. Again, what on earth is wrong with that?

How about the floods?

What about them? What about the snow in UK totaly disabling the country to function for a few weeks? It can happen anywhere in the world.

How about the garbage on the beaches?

I cant recall any 'hot spots' on the beach that are littered. To my mind the beaches of Samui are lovely and tropical. If you want to see rubbish on the beach go to Hua Hin, Phuket, Pattaya, Jomtien, Cha-Am.

How about the rip currents that kill a few people every year and nothing is done about it, like warnings?

Your kidding? Honestly that is your advice? One of the reasons you discourage people from moving to Samui owes to less than half a dozen tourists per year drowning as a result of rip tides? Sure, there should maybe be some type of awareness campaign to alert tourists of rip tides but then again, where are the campaigns all over Thailand for road safety which kills FAR more tourists per year?

Rolling blackouts during high season!! HaHaHaHa

12,000 Baht for a generator. Simple. Not essential but if the occasional blackouts are an issue, buy a generator.

Again not exclusive to Samui, but living there, can you escape it?

Can you escpae it if you live in BKK? Hua Hin? Phuket? So if you live in BKK and there is a powet cut, you would honestly jump in a taxi and visit Kanchanaburi for the day to escape the torture of no air con for 2 hours?

edit: Just to add. I am now in Bangkok and considering Krabi for one single reason! An international Montessori school. See where my priorities are?

Yes. Your priority seems to desire the highest form of education possible for your budget. Its a noble priority but by the same token, it is not essential as there are extremely good schools all over Thailand - including Samui.

yep u summed it up. conlcusion the bloke is a four letter word :D

Edited by BigC

samui is East enders but in a tropical place and less depressing and no Dot Cotton. plenty of Nick cottons though.

There are loads of Phil and grant Mitails with bald head prancing around the island. apparently people have turned to prancing instead of walking. it seems to be a quicker way from A-B.

:blink: What?

Maybe someone can translate?

Poor Sucker are u english if not then u probably don't know east enders. its a TV series that in a funny way remindes me of samui and i have change my minde there are loads of Dot Cottens every where. enough gossip on this island to make a new tc series a reality one. anyone got the budget and the camera team. if so i am in. Samui un cut !

Hi,

I have recently returned back to the UK after living on Samui for several years. During the time I had some brilliant years living and working on Samui and met some fantastic people. True, it wasn't all plain sailing and could be quite annoying paying more for things than in other areas of Thailand but then I'd drive around the corner, see the most beautiful view and the few extra baht was soon forgotten!!

The only concerns I had about the safety of my children were the roads however the pros of the island for example the style of living which meant i could spent a lot more time with the family certainly outweighed this. We owned a car and luckily never had an accident however please be aware that the roads can be lethal.

We had insurance for medical treatment and always found the hospitals outstanding, with many of the facilities better than those in the uk - often due to less patients, more care given etc etc. If you dont have insurance this could be a problem, make sure you get this and i am sure you will be fine!

Our children went to an international school in Lamai - Samui Centre of Learning. They loved this place, the teachers and all the other children. The class sizes were small, the fees were more than acceptable, they have fully qualified teachers, they have been recently accredited with Cambridge University and most importantly for me - my children got up in a morning and wanted to go to school!!!!! They have both been going to a school in the UK now for a few months and their teachers have said they are working above average in many areas - (proud parent moment lol :) ) - and are also fluent in Thai, a result of their excellent teachers.

I had a great circle of friends on Samui from all over the world. Keep an open mind, get out there and you'll find plenty of people to chat too. You'll find this a lot easier with having children in school - have a chat to the other parents and I am sure that you will find things to do.

I would certainly live on Samui with a family, sadly due to personal circumstances we have had to return back home however I would jump on a flight back straight away if we could! Yes, you might get flooded, find a snake in your house or have a power cut for a few hours. You are on a tropical island and have to take the rough with the smooth but especially now I have returned home, I can see just how good the standard of living is on Samui.

I hope that you have a wonderful time on Samui, if it doesn't work out - at least you can say you tried it, learn from your mistakes and move on. Good Luck.

Hi,

I have recently returned back to the UK after living on Samui for several years. During the time I had some brilliant years living and working on Samui and met some fantastic people. True, it wasn't all plain sailing and could be quite annoying paying more for things than in other areas of Thailand but then I'd drive around the corner, see the most beautiful view and the few extra baht was soon forgotten!!

The only concerns I had about the safety of my children were the roads however the pros of the island for example the style of living which meant i could spent a lot more time with the family certainly outweighed this. We owned a car and luckily never had an accident however please be aware that the roads can be lethal.

We had insurance for medical treatment and always found the hospitals outstanding, with many of the facilities better than those in the uk - often due to less patients, more care given etc etc. If you dont have insurance this could be a problem, make sure you get this and i am sure you will be fine!

Our children went to an international school in Lamai - Samui Centre of Learning. They loved this place, the teachers and all the other children. The class sizes were small, the fees were more than acceptable, they have fully qualified teachers, they have been recently accredited with Cambridge University and most importantly for me - my children got up in a morning and wanted to go to school!!!!! They have both been going to a school in the UK now for a few months and their teachers have said they are working above average in many areas - (proud parent moment lol :) ) - and are also fluent in Thai, a result of their excellent teachers.

I had a great circle of friends on Samui from all over the world. Keep an open mind, get out there and you'll find plenty of people to chat too. You'll find this a lot easier with having children in school - have a chat to the other parents and I am sure that you will find things to do.

I would certainly live on Samui with a family, sadly due to personal circumstances we have had to return back home however I would jump on a flight back straight away if we could! Yes, you might get flooded, find a snake in your house or have a power cut for a few hours. You are on a tropical island and have to take the rough with the smooth but especially now I have returned home, I can see just how good the standard of living is on Samui.

I hope that you have a wonderful time on Samui, if it doesn't work out - at least you can say you tried it, learn from your mistakes and move on. Good Luck.

i hope people like u find the time to return. going back to the tuk would be like going to a prison camp after living here for 7 years. that my opoum

OK for you.

I prefer a non Muslim country.

Seconded.

thirded. u mean muslim country like the uk or muslim muslim country :D

Overall, my move to Dubai from Samui wasn't a mistake. Other than the prices being higher and having a general sense of being poor, Dubai is better, IMO.

There are many places I'd like to live, but nowhere 12 months out of the year. A few months on Samui, a few here, a few somewhere else.

just for some perspective, probably 25-40 percent of my villa customers over the last 4 years were people moving from Dubai to Samui, never the reverse. glad it has worked out for you. personally speaking it's not a place that would even factor into my list of places to consider but that alone obviously does not make Samui perfect. we need some physical recreation opportunities here for sure, even just some "public" beach area or a large protected park land in the interior. in spite of these issues it still suits my preferred laid back lifestyle pretty well. i just walked back into the office from the pier, bright sunshine and a nice breeze, only 1 of my yachts to look at because the rest are quite busy at the moment and there isn't anyplace else i'd rather be.

just for some perspective, probably 25-40 percent of my villa customers over the last 4 years were people moving from Dubai to Samui, never the reverse. glad it has worked out for you. personally speaking it's not a place that would even factor into my list of places to consider but that alone obviously does not make Samui perfect. we need some physical recreation opportunities here for sure, even just some "public" beach area or a large protected park land in the interior. in spite of these issues it still suits my preferred laid back lifestyle pretty well. i just walked back into the office from the pier, bright sunshine and a nice breeze, only 1 of my yachts to look at because the rest are quite busy at the moment and there isn't anyplace else i'd rather be.

Yeah I'm one of those moving from Dubai to Samui and it can't happen quick enough. You are locked inside for 60% of the year out here. It's a all a matter of opinion and personal taste I guess. I came here for money and money only.

Yeah I'm one of those moving from Dubai to Samui and it can't happen quick enough. You are locked inside for 60% of the year out here. It's a all a matter of opinion and personal taste I guess. I came here for money and money only.

what to spend it. not much money to be made out here. plenty to spend though :D whats your style in the quote from enter the dragon

I think there is more to consider than things like a swimming school and costs.

I think for me, the fact that you'd be bringing children into this environment would be the most worrying. Anyone who has lived among the Thais on Samui for a few years begins to see that behind the "Sawadee kap/ka Mr. Tourist," veneer are a people hardwired for conniving, dishonesty (or at least very fast and loose with the truth), unreliably, and accept a lackadaisical and inferior level of standard in almost everything they undertake (relationships/workmanship/concern for others, etc). You have to adjust yourself here to view the "Thai style" of doing things as either somehow primitively endearing or just part of the local color.

My feeling is that I would not want my children to grow up (for however long your stint here is) around a culture that enshrines so many character traits that are anathema to what is considered correct behavior in the West.

I know people will dog-pile on me for being "anti-Thai" or bigoted or something, but the fact remains that unless you are living in an artificial bubble you will understand the subtle undercurrent of corner-cutting and misdirection that goes on here as part of the fabric of life.

As an adult you can identify these things, eventually, and choose to ignore them or confront them; but as an impressionable child, these will be absorbed (to whatever extent) into his or her psyche. Or at least it is possible, and that's not something that I would want to risk.

Most importantly I would not want my child to think that a shoddy job is sufficient in anything or that your word is worth nothing if you want to change your mind at any point.

And as a final point, Samui is one of the worst places for "self-centeredness" and extremely poor behavior I can think of, right up there with Pattaya and Phuket. Bangkok is a cosmopolitan city; Samui is an island tourist trap with gentle edges. It's a place filled with people who are not from here and are only here to part the foreigner tourist (or resident) from their money.

I think for me, the fact that you'd be bringing children into this environment would be the most worrying. Anyone who has lived among the Thais on Samui for a few years begins to see that behind the "Sawadee kap/ka Mr. Tourist," veneer are a people hardwired for conniving, dishonesty (or at least very fast and loose with the truth), unreliably, and accept a lackadaisical and inferior level of standard in almost everything they undertake (relationships/workmanship/concern for others, etc). You have to adjust yourself here to view the "Thai style" of doing things as either somehow primitively endearing or just part of the local color.

My feeling is that I would not want my children to grow up (for however long your stint here is) around a culture that enshrines so many character traits that are anathema to what is considered correct behavior in the West.

I know people will dog-pile on me for being "anti-Thai" or bigoted or something, but the fact remains that unless you are living in an artificial bubble you will understand the subtle undercurrent of corner-cutting and misdirection that goes on here as part of the fabric of life.

As an adult you can identify these things, eventually, and choose to ignore them or confront them; but as an impressionable child, these will be absorbed (to whatever extent) into his or her psyche. Or at least it is possible, and that's not something that I would want to risk.

Most importantly I would not want my child to think that a shoddy job is sufficient in anything or that your word is worth nothing if you want to change your mind at any point.

And as a final point, Samui is one of the worst places for "self-centeredness" and extremely poor behavior I can think of, right up there with Pattaya and Phuket. Bangkok is a cosmopolitan city; Samui is an island tourist trap with gentle edges. It's a place filled with people who are not from here and are only here to part the foreigner tourist (or resident) from their money.

i am not inclined to disagree with your point of view towards the majority of thais, i will say this is not just on samui but all of thailand. I do question if you have children because if you did then you would understand that one of the most important aspects of good parenting, is teaching your child what is you considered a moral standard of conduct; responsibility, accountability,and reliability hence at the end of the day it is what a child is taught at home not what they see on the street.

i am not inclined to disagree with your point of view towards the majority of thais, i will say this is not just on samui but all of thailand. I do question if you have children because if you did then you would understand that one of the most important aspects of good parenting, is teaching your child what is you considered a moral standard of conduct; responsibility, accountability,and reliability hence at the end of the day it is what a child is taught at home not what they see on the street.

QFT

i'm very happy to raise my kids here on samui. you'll never be able to shelter your children from the actions and attitudes in the previous post regardless of your location in the world. as long as the parents are responsible and set the parenting standards then the children should be able to learn what is and is not appropriate behavior.

• 2 weeks later...

what to spend it. not much money to be made out here. plenty to spend though :D whats your style in the quote from enter the dragon

yeah not expecting to make too much, but i'll enjoy my life more, money can't buy that smile.gif My style?? You can call it the art of making money, without making moneythumbsup.gif