Farang Boss Managing Thais

El Taco Loco

I was being constructive.

You claimed I made a generalization about corruption, yet then go on to agree with me that corruption takes place in your hotel (which you manage)

You wrote that you are a good listener, yet stated that I "showed my style of management" when I made some valid points about your lack of language skills, and that "I wouldn't last a day". Seemed to contradict your good listening skills when something you don't like is raised by getting personal. (and incorrect BTW)

On meetings, I was trying to find out what your style actually was, managers usually go with one style. I wasn't actually criticising you.

Hi again.

Let me backtrack. You are correct on a lot of what you say. I actually agree with it as well.

I never claimed my place is a white as the pure driven snow. Even with all the whitening lotion flying around the place. :o

I am not fluent in Thai and no falang manager needs to be. Your previous posts insinuated that I was a lazy learner. I took that personally. But with my present Thai skills and books, electronic dic, translations, pictures, etc., I am communicating well. How do I know that? Things are getting done. Slow, but done nevertheless.

Thanks for your posts.

They are appreciated.

Sniper

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not replying to anyone.

Just wondering what would happen if some of the posters managing places in Thailand and me managing a place in Japan apply for a managing job.

Would they have an advantage because they did it in Thailand, would I be an underdog just by the virtue of the isolated Japanese culture and biz environment?

Say, the new job is in Singapore or Hong Kong.

I am 50 50 on this one. Having managed Thais can go both ways. Either they see you as having the patience and guts and willingness to inmerse yourself in their culture and get things done is good.

On the other hand, they may think that working with mostly lazy Thais and getting things accomplished is not what they need in a place where there are hard working Chinese, Malay and Indians. (I am not generalizing. I never worked with any of those 3 types). Just an example. In other words, they may think that Thailand is the only place where I could succeed.

Chai my? :o