Foreign Tourist Arrivals In Thailand Hit 15.7-15.8 Million This Year

webfact

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wifey has a good friend who is one of the "higher ups" in Immigration, and according to him:

1 - Everyone who makes a border/visa run is counted as a "tourist", no matter how long they have lived here.

2 - On the weekends there are bus loads of people from Malaysia who come here for a 1 day shopping trip. They are counted as tourists.

3 - ANYONE who passes through Thai Immigration, at any airport or border crossing, even if they are on their way to another country and just "passing through", gets counted.

This is from a man who is in a position to know, and I'm only repeating what he told my wife.

:jap:

What a load of rubbish ! I have been to BKK twice, Pattaya 3 times and Phuket once and live in Chiang Mai. Everywhere and each time of year including holidays, there are less tourists, unless they are all Chinese ?

Yes, a lot of them are Chinese. Here's a what some of you don't seem to understand. Tourists from "farang" countries only make up 1/3 of this total. We are VASTLY outnumbered by Asians. Also people that are basing their perceptions on red light bar zones, yeah those places aren't doing as well. Other places you don't see are. Was in Khao San a couple months ago and I don't think I'd ever seen it so crowded.

I am extremely skeptical of these numbers. All of the hotel operators I have spoken to this year are complaining. I have a number of friends who own restaurants, retail shops, and massage places, and one of my friends is the GM at a 5 star hotel in Samui. All of them say the same thing. Worst year in memory. So, if tourism is the same, where are all these people staying, eating, and spending their money? With the extreme level of censorship, how do we know that the government authorities do not have an equal ability to manipulate the media, and sites like Thaivisa? How can we consider this info reliable? Who do we believe? All I can look at is what I see on the ground. Right now, Koh Samui is slower than it has ever been, on Dec. 18th.

The main reasons why Thailand is still on travellers' destination lists is their impression of Thai hospitality and services along with the country's landscapes and natural resources in different regions.

Surely, they can do better than that?

I believe that the principal reason why tourists are still coming is that the large multinationals and some of the major Thai hotel investors have put together some attractive packages. This means reducing some of the tour package costs. I don't know if anyone subscribes to the Nok Air emails, but just this week, Nok was offering some attractive package deals for Chiang Mai and Phuket. Strategic marketing and business analysis.

Hospitality? Sorry, but the Thai resorts are not any better than other resorts. You get what you pay for. It's no better and no worse than elsewhere.

Services? Is that a polite term for entertainment zone companions?

Country's landscapes? Please. Deforestation, pollution & overdevelopment have made some of Thailand's gems no different than other tourist destinaions.

Natural resources? Ummm yea, ok.

Give credit where credit is due. Many of the tourist industry players scrambled to keep people coming and they sharpened their pencils, charmed some of the tour vendors and worked hard to get those numbers.

I agree with you in the main however there was a point I was not clear on.

Nok air has great deals. I might be wrong but thought Nok air only flies with in the country. Did not realize they were a International company. I highly doubt a travel agent would recomend Thailand because a local air line had some good deals. Or for that matter a international company

On Natural attractions you might want to consider going some place else. Just because they have ruined it in you haunts does not mean there is no other place you can find it in Thailand.

As for pollution that is not a recent experience it has been going on for centuries. You make it sound like there was none five years ago To give some credit they are talking about stopping the burning in the rice fields. Vehicles are becoming more green wise It will take time but we will see a cut back in the pollution. You out to live here in Chang Mai in the forest fire season We get the smoke from Burma Lao China as well as are own. In all the countries they send some one out to fight it with a garden hose and no tap to hook it to.:cheesy:

I don't believe them, like I don't believe any numbers they give out. They are probably counting all farangs doing visa runs, after all, they are foreign and entering the country, and they are probably counting all tourists that are just transiting thru Bangkok going to other cities, neither of these spending any money. Probably could shave 1-2 million off their numbers.

That logic could be applied to any year..

The point they are trying to make is it is not as bad as we think it is.

Here in Chiang Mai I am seeing more tourists than I have in three years at the Night Bazaar. That is a huge attraction here.

As for visa runs. My money says they have gone down. What with the world recession a lot of people don't have the money for a extended stay.

I live in Chiang Mai and I have definitely seen services set up for expats cutting back. One of the big malls I go to is constantly having a change of concessionaires. One big operation has shut down. This is a mall where many expats will go to shop. It has every thing you could get back home. (well almost every thing)

I firmly believe that expats are going back home because of the exchange rate. They came here when there money was strong and the Thai Baht was week and can no longer afford it here. Hense less visa runs.

Interesting all the trouble we have had this year and we get 15.7 million tourists.

Forecast for next year 15.5 million.

Wonder where the 200,000 tourists they are predicting we will lose are going.

Wonder if they know something we don't know.:cheesy:

I really don't know about numbers but here in Chiang Mai the Night Bazaar is the busiest I have seen it in a long time. (Three years) B)

I was just in Chiang Mai, at the Night Bizzare and it was the slowest I've seen it in the last 6 years. I could actually navigate through the sidewalk, past the vendors without pausing, being pushed, pulled or otherwise standing while waiting for an opening so I could continue walking, so I have no idea what you are comparing your observations to.

I don't believe them, like I don't believe any numbers they give out. They are probably counting all farangs doing visa runs, after all, they are foreign and entering the country, and they are probably counting all tourists that are just transiting thru Bangkok going to other cities, neither of these spending any money. Probably could shave 1-2 million off their numbers.

You left out the migrant workers who pass through the borders who have legal status to work in The Kingdom.

I am extremely skeptical of these numbers. All of the hotel operators I have spoken to this year are complaining. I have a number of friends who own restaurants, retail shops, and massage places, and one of my friends is the GM at a 5 star hotel in Samui. All of them say the same thing. Worst year in memory. So, if tourism is the same, where are all these people staying, eating, and spending their money? With the extreme level of censorship, how do we know that the government authorities do not have an equal ability to manipulate the media, and sites like Thaivisa? How can we consider this info reliable? Who do we believe? All I can look at is what I see on the ground. Right now, Koh Samui is slower than it has ever been, on Dec. 18th.

Bob NYC and JayJay0 have indicated that all the tourist are now in Chiang Mai enjoying the scenic beauty of the Night Bizzare. I know someone who works at a nice high rise hotel in Bangkok who says they have laid off a considerable portion of their staff due to low tourism. I've also heard a lot of first hand complaints from small business owners I deal with and business for them is very slow.

Thai hospitality yes maybe 30 or 40 years ago...

I live here and I am so tired of the constant shake down from the police acting more like keystone cops every year

and there where practical none until 2006. Just made a run from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai US consulate.

Was stopped 4 times going there to Chiang Mai and 6 times back. Had a Thai relative driving as soon

as we where Chiang Rai province things got ugly. It is a long story but I will tell all my friends and relatives to stay home

and never visit me again I do not want them go through what we did.

When will the TAT stop lying in its own pockets? The chinese Tourists are maybe good for some Chinese travel agencys or the restaurants where they have to pay double or triple prices from normal guests. But they bring absolutely no business to the normal Thaipeople, nor to the Thairestaurants and for sure not to all the poor service girls wich are starving now.

Been in Phuket Town yesterday and it was empty. Never before in the past 20 years I saw less foreigners as yesterday. Shops are empty too because of the high Thai Baht. Weather in December seems to change also, there is no sun in Phuket and its cold. Cant remember weather like that in December.

But ok TAT, lets count all the Visarunners twice and you get good new numbers. :cheesy:

At least in Thailand, Thai nationals own 51% of the business.

and 95% out of this 51 are Chinese Thai and the shops where they HAVE to buy, the hotels where they HAVE to sleep and the restaurants where they HAVE to eat are owned 100% by some Chinese bigheads.

All in all the Chinese are making good money out of the tourism while the normal Thais make nothing at all out of the Chinese groups. But who wonders in a country ruled by Chinesethais? I just wonder why still some ppl here doesnt understand the reds and think the yellows are better.

recently I went to London consulate for a visa - the waiting room was empty, just in and out, unlike in previous years, when you would have to wait up to 1h to que behind 20-30 applicants.

somethink tells me, governmental figures are biased

country ruled by Chinesethais. ...

some ppl here doesnt understand the reds and think the yellows are better.

my family is chinese and they are all pinkish/red, some of them soldiers, policemen (low rank), teachers, journalists, as well as farmers and street cleaners.

the social devision is class and not ethnic devision

Edited by londonthai

Tripe ! Don't think I have ever written that word before.

Where do they pull these numbers from ? .....and more importantly WHY ?

Anyone in the hospitality industry knows full well that these numbers are just a crock.

But still the question Why?

Do they think that it makes a better picture when the blow the BS horn so loud ?

Talk to anyone who is involved in this bit of tourism and I have yet to talk to anyone [ other that facesaving govt officals] who will tell you business is really up.

Just gotta wonder why anyone would want to be a

ps just figured it out... liars need jobs too B)

Edited by Gonzo the Face

They probably got those numbers like everyone else. They pulled them out of their rectums...If the numbers are even close, that should make

the hookers extremly happy; but wait! I read an article not to long ago that said there was absolutley no prostitution in Thailand....hmmm! Do you

think they got that realization from the same place they may have pulled those numbers from?

As far as the police are concerned down there....those guys on hearing those kind of numbers must have a smile on their face it would take

a plastic surgeon to remove. Those boys gotta be thinking all the money they will make (under the table) but shaking many of those tourists down.

and just think about all the taxi drivers they have to be doing cartwheels, because of over charging the tourist too, and lets not leave out

the pick pockets and muggers too.

What an opportunit for fun and games....yippy kiyay!:bah:

Yes, and one of the tourists was Elvis

Jim Morrison was behind him at immigration.

The Terminated Tourist Triumvirate being completed by M Jackson, whistling "If'.........if Chiang Mais trembling tourist heartbeart is LOS' medical condition, then the early Euthanasia of Thailand would be a mercy. :( To All.

Guess I'd better check with Wikileaks for the REAL picture, eh? It definitely feels quieter and certainly less vibrant in town and out than any of the last 3 years, IMHO naturally.B)

regards to all,

Brewsta

What a load of rubbish ! I have been to BKK twice, Pattaya 3 times and Phuket once and live in Chiang Mai. Everywhere and each time of year including holidays, there are less tourists, unless they are all Chinese ?

Yes I live in Chiang Mai too and I must say it looks definitely better than last year and as for package tours,Chinese, Japanese they all have an Itinerary,

everything is organised for them. Only shop in certain places in a given time,or you miss out.

Good luck for the shop keepers.

Tripe ! Don't think I have ever written that word before.

Where do they pull these numbers from ? .....and more importantly WHY ?

Anyone in the hospitality industry knows full well that these numbers are just a crock.

But still the question Why?

Do they think that it makes a better picture when the blow the BS horn so loud ?

Talk to anyone who is involved in this bit of tourism and I have yet to talk to anyone [ other that facesaving govt officals] who will tell you business is really up.

Just gotta wonder why anyone would want to be a

ps just figured it out... liars need jobs too B)

It's easy to understand...

This lie is just one more of self-made myths what they are producing about themselves(as happened about teachers, education system when was published by OBEC that 88% of teachers in Thailand is incompetent to teach, as failed on test).

Maybe the answer is very simple, such having wrong idea HOW TO make an advertizing.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics :huh:

Some one should to wake up Minister of TAT or to say to him to don't lie.

Obviously TAT believe in saying of Joseph Goebbels: "If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth."

Thai hospitality is very questionable. Why? Simply because it is not well enough to have just a smile(if so at all) so to conclude about hospitality.

If nothing else, that can not be the main reason to attract tourists, Minister of TAT should to know.

Next, assupport to TATA, synchronized acting and good interaction between 2 Ministers(TATA and Immigration) would be very nice to see and could give some very good results.

This way-no way...

P.S.

Several friends left Thailand. They left families here, because of complicated procedures in Immigration which made them feel like some backpackers. So they left.

Minister, TAT, should to say how many people, foreign residents, left. That number could be the key for problem.

:huh: