Visa Run To Vietnam

I'd like to go to Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh) to get a new Non-Imm-B Thai visa. Has anyone done this before?

I have already checked out the info on this site, including using the search button. I found the list of embassies and even called the embassy in Hanoi and the consulate in Ho Chi Minh... it's constantly engaged though!

To be honest, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info on the net about this particular visa run. I gues it's not all that popular.

Still, if anyone has any experiences with the consulate in Ho Chi Minh or the embassy in Hanoi, then please post here!

Thanks!

JG123

you will need a visa to enter Viet-nam, Saigon does have an thai embassy there, they don't ask to much question if you have the cash, not to many people go there cause:

the only way to get there is to fly 10k-15kbaht air ticket, with that amount of money you can basicly go to any country around asia. and yes you can drive too, but then good luck.

Visa cost, Viet-Nam embassy in bangkok: 4,000baht

that's the most ripp-off visa cost i ever seen

Viet-Nam is not a cheap place to go, it look cheap, but its not, every where you go in Saigon they will charge you with farang price, if you know what i mean,

chin-chin $US dollar only.

Viet-Nam is not the best choice to go for Visa run, if you're trying to save some buck or Baht ,but the girl there will make-up for that, beautiful girl,

in my humble opinion they are much prettier than thai girl.

Guest IT Manager

seems Kevin was right. Yos-my good post. Try and stay good for a while.

Re the run, if anyone has done it, a report would be appreciated for the site. If you end up doing it, let us know how it goes please.

I've been doing a Non-Im B at Ho Chi Minh for a few years. Very good service...if you are a good boy or girl. I am the MD of a legit Thai company and pay my taxes. I prefer going out once a year because I enjoy the break and I love Vietnam. By contrast getting the one year at Immigration in Thailand takes 3-5 months and is a pain in the arse (that has been my experience when I did it for the first three years).

The last time in HCHC I arrived at the consulate with all my documents in hand (I take everything required and more, just in case) and as I was completing the application form, a 50+ year old guy with unwashed hair and filthy clothes waltzed up to the counter and in a very loud voice - which got progressively louder - asked for a 1-year multiple entry Non Im B. The girl behind the counter looked at him a moment and then said that a 3-month was all that they are allowed to give. He shouted at her that he was a writer and had all the money she could imagine in his Thai bank and he had been getting his one-years for the past 10 years without any problem and why the ###### was she being so difficult - or words to that effect.

I cringed and I could see other customers (all Asian) looking studiously at the floor in front of them. We all sat quietly observing the situation go from bad to worse as the guy repeated himself and continued to dig his hole deeper and deeper. The girl asked to see his bank statements! That did it. The guy went berserk. He was shown the door and told to return next day to get his 3-month visa. I'd say he was very lucky indeed to get that (if indeed they gave it to him). I was the next up and I reckoned that after that performance my chances of getting my one-year were well and truly shafted. I was as polite as I ever am and spoke very quietly so as not to be overheard. She took my papers, looked over them briefly and asked me to return next day for my one-year. Phew.

There is a lesson there somewhere. I think you will have figured it out.

Now that was almost a year ago and I don't know if any rules have been changed since. Having read with great interest all the stuff about tightening up on visas I'm a little concerned that it might not be possible to get another one-year in this way. Anyway, I'd say for sure that unless you have an absolutely legit reason and all the documentation required, don't expect too much. BTW I take six months of Form #30 showing export income and VAT payments, plus Form #1 income tax payments, plus my personal and company bank statements...just in case.

Be legit, be polite, stay cool, enjoy life in LOS.

Can't make any comment about getting a visa for Thialand in Saigon (Have PR so I don't need it.)

But I disagree with the earlier post about Vietnam, costs, etc.

I visit Saigon regularly on business. I love the place. Never had a problem. The staff, at all levels, in the company I'm advising are an absolute pleasure to work with, highly intelligent, add a lot of interesting contributions to our discussions, not afraid to politely query anything, the older staff always encouraging the younger staff to give their opinions - great stuff.

There any many small, clean, profesionally run hotels in Saigon for around US$20 per night including breakfast. Laundry and other services so cheap that it's embarrassing. The hotel I use (can't quickly find the namecard) are always very helpful, always politely asking if I need anything, but never any push.

I recall arriving on one trip and my shirts were all crushed. I rang housekeeping, asking for 6 shirts to be repressed. The supervisor and her subordinate were at my door within a minute. They wanted to know If I wished to select one shirt to come back very quickly, or would I like to wait until all six were repressed and returned, which would take about 20 minutes. So keen to provide the best service.

Lots of excellent local and French food, and the restaurants are in the main very clean. Most waiters speak enough to good English, always polite, won't hesitate to get some further information about the food, and with a smile.

Overall a lot more English is spoken than most people realize.

The horror stories about theft of bags, cameras etc are very exaggerated.

There's not the pressure to buy that you often find in Thailand.

You do need a visa in advance. The professional Thai travel company I use get the visa for me, within 24 hours. Never a hassle, not all that many documents required. And it's about 2,000 Baht, not 4,000 Baht (2,000 including the travel co fee).

Airfare is less than the 10 - 15,000 Baht mentioned. The travel company I use specializes in business travel. Their airfare are not the cheapest, but that's fine because they are very flexible to change dates / flights etc, mostly at no charge, and with a smile. My tickets are way below 10-15,000.

Entry at Saigon airport is easy. Passport check is quick and courteous. Customs has never been a problem, always very polite and couteous.

On one return trip my TG flight was delayed for several hours. Airport staff came around several times with drinks and politely asked if the delay was creating any additional problems for connection etc. One farang couple had 3 small children, airport official offered to have some young staff come and play with children so the parents could get some rest.

Saigon is worth a look.

I agree mostly to alanw's comments. Staying myself most of the time for the last 12 years in Palace Hotel at US$ 35.00 incl. b/f. This is all in and if you ask nicely, they give you 6:00 pm check-out, if booking allows, for free. MOre expensive Duxton (Aussie managed) US 70, Caravelle 98 and up.

Location of all these hotels around Opera, i.e. DOWNTOWN.

Visa Baht 4000? Yes, for a multiple re-entry, which allows me to visit as often as I wish within six months. (I could as well stay for 6 months with this one)

Single, applied directly with the embassy is around 2000.

Tickets: Around Baht 8-9000. Earlier TG had a 'buy one, get one free', so I went with a customer and each paid 9900 for C-Class. Prstly LH is 12900 for c-class. Y-class should be similar to TG. AF around the same. LH I use as most suitable schedule, Sunday 4:00 pm from BKK, arrive 6:30, latest, downtown. Still on time for happy hour. Tuesday 20:30 back, meansd 2 full days.

Prices: arond 10 $ for a meal. Hotel bars, like Saigon- Saigon in Caravelle, or the new one in Sheraton, of course much higher. US 7.00 for black-label per shot. Downtown pubs around Dong Khoi Street 4.00.

Theft: Yes, do not walk with a watch, gold bracelet or ballpoint-pen. All others is safe, and I do walk 2:00 a.m. in the city, without problems.

Visa at thai embassy, Have only one experience, a friend who got his Imm B (with company letter by a Thai friend) within 1 day. No Hazzle.

Myself no experience, but I do imagine, as not too many tourist they are ok. Sure, shout and you provoke a reaction.

A last remark, I very often have broken suitcases (zipper or handle usually) Ask a bellboy in the Hotel, within 24 hours my suitcase looks like new.

Been there three months ago , Entry visa was around 2000 bahts .

I got from Thai consulate a entry visa valid two month , been ask if i want a extra one ( did not need too ) . Do not know for business visa.

trip with TG airline was under 10000 bahts , saw there so good deal with i think Lufthansa and Air france.

Got some cafe bean for espresso machine, chocolate and lot lot of cheese , forgot the avocado in the hotel fridge :o

Hotel was a little bit expensive , but my own choice , saw some good hotel for 30-35 USA.

travel a little bit .

will do it again if need it , mainly for the cafe bean.

cheer

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again,

Sorry for the dely in reporting back my experiences in Vietnam.... and thanks to Lifelover for the message to remind me!

I got the standard 30-day tourist visa to go to Vietnam from the Vietnam Embassy on Wireless Road (opposite the American Embassy). The charge was 2500 Baht and this was apparently the cheapest visa available. I don't know if cheaper, shorter term, visas are available from travel agents or not.

Anyway, upon arrival in Ho Chi Minh City, I checked into the "Betty" hotel on Do Quang Dau street near to Pham Ngu Lao (Ho Chi Min City's version of Khaosan Road). The hotel was $6 per night and was very clean with a fan, hot shower and a TV that was somehow picking up every channel of Thai UBC (!).

The owner of "Betty Hotel" is a really nice guy and was quick to make sure I didn't get ripped off when taking a motorcycle taxi anywhere by negotiating the price for me. When I told him that I needed to go to the Thai Consulate, he asked one of his workers to take me there and back on a motorcycle and charged me next to nothing.

At the embassy, the woman behind the glass was dishing out 1-year Non-Immigrant "B" visas to a group of Indian people who had something to do with a factory in Thailand. When it came to be my turn (almost no queue!) she told me that I could probably have a 1-year Non-Imm "B" too, but she'd need to check my papers first.

She checked, she ummed, the ahhed..... and then told me I could have a 3 Month single entry. I was very polite and tried to see if there was any way to get a longer visa. She told me that if my papers hadn't been from a school then it would have been ok. She then clarified that they could only give a 3-month visa for ANYONE who has a letter promising employment, regardless of whether it's a school or any other type of company. She said that the only way to get a longer visa would have been if I was doing business in Thailand, but not actually being employed in Thailand.

I asked whether these rules only applied to embassies/consulates in the SE Asian region and she hinted that was the case, but I couldn't get a straight answer.

I guess it's easier to get a longer visa from a Honarary Consulate which doesn't have any Thai staff (these are easy to find in the middle east). I've used them in the past and they didn't even care about the papers, they just collect the cash. I guess this doesn't raise any eyebrows back in Thailand because most people going from the middle east to Thailand are looking to export lots of Thai stuff, which is what they WANT people to come here and do, right?!

JG

"She said that the only way to get a longer visa would have been if I was doing business in Thailand, but not actually being employed in Thailand."

I think you may have misquoted her there. Can you please clarify that point? Most people doing business in Thailand are employed in Thailand too (that's the law actually) so I THINK she may have said that a 1-year is possible if you have all the correct papers showing that you are already employed by a Thai company. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for posting your story.

$6 a night :o I must be getting old and soft but I usually go for the $40 a night hotels. Anyway, seems you had a great experience.