What Are The Best Tyres For The Kawasaki Er6N

nattydread

the stock Dunlop Skidmax tyres are almost worn out so i would like other riders opinions as to what to replace them with with regard to.........

grip

longevity

price

availability

i do like to give the bike some stick occasionally but 80% of my riding is in 120km per hour touring mode...........i am based in CM if anyone has any suggestions for shops to buy from

thanks for your comments

If sport touring is your thing I highly recommend the Bridgestone Battlax BT021's. They are OEM on the Ninja 650R have very long life, above average grip and good feedback. You can get a set from Kawasaki for about 10000 Baht.

If you like to push it a bit harder or do the occasional track day then I'd say have a look at Pirelli Diablo Corsas, Dragon Supercorsa Pros or Diablo Supercorsas. They more expensive (~12000 Baht / set) and won't last as long (expect to get ~5000-8000km) but they are some of the stickiest road tires I've ever had the pleasure of using. (Actually, the last two are rated for "Fast road / Track"). Call Charlie and Ko at ShowPow- they speak perfect English and ship Pirellis all over Thailand. 0890038886

Ride On!

Tony

If sport touring is your thing I highly recommend the Bridgestone Battlax BT021's. They are OEM on the Ninja 650R have very long life, above average grip and good feedback. You can get a set from Kawasaki for about 10000 Baht.

If you like to push it a bit harder or do the occasional track day then I'd say have a look at Pirelli Diablo Corsas, Dragon Supercorsa Pros or Diablo Supercorsas. They more expensive (~12000 Baht / set) and won't last as long (expect to get ~5000-8000km) but they are some of the stickiest road tires I've ever had the pleasure of using. (Actually, the last two are rated for "Fast road / Track"). Call Charlie and Ko at ShowPow- they speak perfect English and ship Pirellis all over Thailand. 0890038886

Ride On!

Tony

Tony

Would the Bridgestone recommendation apply to a Versys as well? I assume it would.

David

Ride On!

Tony

Tony

Would the Bridgestone recommendation apply to a Versys as well? I assume it would.

David

Hi David,

Depends a lot on where you plan to ride your Versys. If it's going to be primarily on paved road then yes, I'd make the same recommendations.

But if you plan to do a bit of exploring on rougher roads, laterite, dirt etc then you might want to consider a dual purpose tire such as the Pirelli Scorpion Trail or MT60.

The BMW F800GS and new Ducati Multistrada wear Scorpion Trails. I rode a friends F800GS and the tires performed well through the twisties.

And chasing West on his Ducati Multistrada through the fast bends of the 304 to Wang Nam Kiao I can verify that they have excellent grip!

0000_Pirelli_Scorpion_Trail_Dual_Sport_Rear_Tire_--.jpg

I think West said he even used them for a track day! I've heard nothing but positive reviews for the Pirelli Scorpion Trail.

If you'll be spending more time off road the Pirelli MT60RS's are flippin awesome tires! (Though to be honest, if most of your riding is on pavement they will not last very long...)

0922PirelliMT60ER6BkSm.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Thanks for the great information Tony.

I was pretty committed to getting a new Kawasaki Vulcan 900 when I get there since I have one here and like it. really like cruisers for long rides. Since I will be doing some riding on less that perfect roads (not necessarily off-road - at least not intentionally whistling.gif), I started looking and liked what I saw with the Versys. I went to the dealer and checked one out this weekend and, other than the seat being about 5 inches higher than the Vulcan, I liked it. I can get toes on both sides to touch the ground. I hear Kawasaki has a gel seat you can get that is about 2 inches lower. Once I have a chance to try that out, I may end up with the Versys. If so, the Pirelli Scorpion Trail or MT60 sounds like what I may need.

Thanks again for the help.

David

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm the latetest cost of the Bridgestone Battlax BT021's from kawasaki and i would like to know if they will supply a 170 for the rear instead of the 160?

Too late to phone them today, just picked up a nail on my rear, but no shame to it really...done nearly 14000 miles on it...yep miles not km`s.....

Can anyone confirm the latetest cost of the Bridgestone Battlax BT021's from kawasaki and i would like to know if they will supply a 170 for the rear instead of the 160?

Too late to phone them today, just picked up a nail on my rear, but no shame to it really...done nearly 14000 miles on it...yep miles not km`s.....

Can check tomorrow but doubt very much they carry a 170 as that's not a tire that any of their bikes wear...

Sorry, had to do a little digging but was able to find the contact info for another Bridgestone dealer who should be able to help you out with a 170 rear:

Pure Motor Sport

Khun Pure (Speaks English)

Tel: 02 2223789 Mob: 081 8216663

http://www.tyrethailand.com/main/default.aspx

Sorry, had to do a little digging but was able to find the contact info for another Bridgestone dealer who should be able to help you out with a 170 rear:

Pure Motor Sport

http://www.tyrethailand.com/main/default.aspx

Thanks T, got a 170 rear coming from him tomorrow (6500 bht), but he didn`t have the bt021 but it`s the new bt023 (rave reviews)

but he can stuff the front as he is 1000bht more than kawaski for that...cheers

Pure Motor Sport

http://www.tyrethail...in/default.aspx

Thanks T, got a 170 rear coming from him tomorrow (6500 bht), but he didn`t have the bt021 but it`s the new bt023 (rave reviews)

but he can stuff the front as he is 1000bht more than kawaski for that...cheers

Cheers Mate!

Glad he could hook you up with the new BT023. I'm looking forward to trying that new model when I've worn out the BT 021s on my Versys.

Happy Trails!

Tony

• 1 month later...

Tire choice depends a lot on where you plan to ride. If it's going to be primarily on paved road then yes, I'd make the same recommendations.

But if you plan to do a bit of exploring on rougher roads, laterite, dirt etc then you might want to consider a dual purpose tire such as the Pirelli Scorpion Trail or MT60.

The BMW F800GS and new Ducati Multistrada wear Scorpion Trails. I rode a friends F800GS and the tires performed well through the twisties.

And chasing West on his Ducati Multistrada through the fast bends of the 304 to Wang Nam Kiao I can verify that they have excellent grip!

0000_Pirelli_Scorpion_Trail_Dual_Sport_Rear_Tire_--.jpg

I think West said he even used them for a track day! I've heard nothing but positive reviews for the Pirelli Scorpion Trail.

If you'll be spending more time off road the Pirelli MT60RS's are flippin awesome tires! (Though to be honest, if most of your riding is on pavement they will not last very long...)

0922PirelliMT60ER6BkSm.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

Hey, reviving this thread to give a heads up on the amazing performance of the Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires mentioned above.

Check out what these "dual-sport" tires can do:

DSC_1042.JPG

DSC_1052.JPG

Bira_6-Feb-11__22.JPG

Awesome!!! B)