Pc Suite For Android

Tywais

The one thing I missed from my Sony Ericcson when I got my HTC Desire was PC Suite. I've installed PC Suite (PandaApp) and it works nicely. Main thing I was looking for was being able to send SMS, especially when I need to use Thai, directly from the PC.

Features:

Manage your smart phone easily and safely!

Back up and import contacts, back up and import call logs and SMS records, set the ringtones, themes and wallpapers, manage the system, memory and registry of the phone, install and uninstall software, manage schedule…you can manage all functions and settings on your smart phone.

As the documentation is rather poor here are some hints.

Took me a while to get it to connect but finally figured it out.

1. When connecting the USB cable to the PC make sure it is in "Charge Mode"

2. Go to Applications and enable USB debugging mode.

3. Start the application and click on the connect button and you are ready to go.

Second problem is it always comes up in Chinese so you have to dig a bit to switch to English.

Solution - go to the PC Suite directory and open the file 91 PC Suite.xml with Notepad

Edit this line "<Language Current="zh-CN" Default="zh-CN" />" and change to <Language Current="en-US" Default="en-US" />. It will now start in English.

post-566-0-87684300-1292737082_thumb.jpg

PC Suite for Android

I guess I'm surprised that there is not an Android app. which allows SMS origination on a PC, sent via the phone. I use this feature a lot, like ~ 10 times per day, so will need this when I move to an Android phone. (Although with things like virtual keyboards, speech to text and Swipe this becomes less of an issue.)

I plan to get Google Voice so hope that might offer some potential solution?

Obviously with One2-Call/AIS you could use their e-Service platform to originate an SMS (with Thai characters), but that does require getting a one-time password.

I guess I'm surprised that there is not an Android app. which allows SMS origination on a PC, sent via the phone. I use this feature a lot, like ~ 10 times per day, so will need this when I move to an Android phone. (Although with things like virtual keyboards, speech to text and Swipe this becomes less of an issue.)

I plan to get Google Voice so hope that might offer some potential solution?

Obviously with One2-Call/AIS you could use their e-Service platform to originate an SMS (with Thai characters), but that does require getting a one-time password.

A bit OT but I just discovered Skype can do this pretty well. You enter your Thai number in Skype, it verifies it, then it can send SMS anywhere in the world for very cheap, and it looks like it came from your Thai number.

I don't use it to save money though, I use it because when I send a SMS from my Thai phone to the USA it doesn't seem to arrive there most of the time. Skype works every time ;)

And yes OP I join Crushdepth - why on earth would anyone want PC Suite? All I can remember is it was horrible and buggy. Maybe they've redone it? This is a few years ago, both Nokia and SE. Compared to iTunes syncing of contacts, emails, pictures, and backup of the entire phone PC Suite is a sad, sad joke.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a Nokia aficionado and liked PC Suite for being able to sms from the laptop as well as clean up the phone address book periodically.

I thought this was lost when I switched to android but I just installed Android Desktop on my Nexus-S and very pleased with the interface and setup. Download from the apps store, install, enable wifi, turn the program on, enter the url it displays on your lastop browser and you are connected; no jiggery pokery with mode selection and the like. Admittedly, the contact list editing is still under construction and disabled but the sms functionality is good and there's also a wifi keyboard application. Other user reviews are good so far.

Edited by NanLaew

I just installed Android Desktop on my Nexus-S and very pleased with the interface and setup. Download from the apps store, install, enable wifi, turn the program on, enter the url it displays on your lastop browser and you are connected;

Can you share any additional information which would enable me to locate this application? Maybe a link? Or the actual name? (I searched the Market for 'Android Desktop' and could only find remote desktop apps.) Is this simply a remote desktop app, or does it offer solutions like the OP's referenced app., a la Nokia PC Suite (which I still use and find to be perfect), including the ability to originate an SMS on a PC?

Thanks.

Since you asked so nicely...

post-35874-0-24834100-1294275398_thumb.j

As stated, it does the sms bit that the OP talked up. The address book/contact management is a work in progress.

I have observed that updating firmware or having different versions of android running affects what apps show in the store. For example, the apps store on my Nexus One has different content from the Nexus-S; not totally different but some apps are only available with the newer o/s.

Edited by NanLaew