Loei Accommodation

hunghung

Someone recommended Loei to me for my next Thailand visit, saying that it is beautiful.

Does anyone know a good Loei accommodation for a visit of a week or two (a clean, conveniently-located guest house will do)?

Also, what is the temperature there in Jan/Feb?

The nicest and only Western style hotel in Loei town is the Loei Palace, but this is a longish walk across a park from the centre and in my opinion is about the most expensive place in Isaan for what you get. Of the town centre hotels, the King Hotel is probably the best. It is clean and some rooms have been refurbished in recent years, but almost all have Thai-style (wet) bathrooms (I think some of the suites may be different). Near the King are a couple of others that aren't too bad, including the Royal Inn Hotel (which is unusual in having a bar). I stayed in a couple of places because they were all booked up in the period approaching the New Year and couldn't offer me an uninterrupted week.

When I stayed at this time of year two years ago, ice had reportedly been sighted on one of the higher mountains and it was quite cold at night at altitude. Around the town it was pleasantly warm in the day and mildly cool at night. I was just walking around in my normal Thailand shirt sleeves.

We've stayed at both the Loei Palace and the King during recent times.

King is really good value and I don't think we had a suite, but the room was big, comfortable and had a normal western style bathroom.

What really sold us though was the restaurant which was excellent and managed by a western guy with obviously a lot of experience.

Palace is a tad further out, but not that much, rates were only good when on special and we had a bad experience with the quality of the restaurant.