Online Bank Statement Atm Transfer Question

In the US, one can view recent banking transactions on their bank's Online Banking site and the payment/transfer description and ID number is shown (for ACH transactions anyway). Example, if I accepted Amex cards, I might see something like this as an ACH credit to my bank:

AMERICAN EXPRESS SETTLEMENT 1045831730

This makes it very easy to see where a payment came from.

My question is, is it possible to see on the Online Banking site of any Thai bank, such similar info if someone transfers money to my bank account using an ATM? For Bangkok Bank, I had someone send me a small amount as a test, and it only showed as "Transfer" and the amount they transfered in my online banking Bualuang. No ID # or name. Is it possible to see either their name or bank account number this transfer came from?

I have noticed many merchants in Thailand offer ATM transfer as a payment method, which is almost never done in the US. They sometimes have an account at all the major banks and provide all their bank account numbers to their customers to transfer a payment to. I wonder what happens if they have for example 3 customers who say they will buy something from a Thai merchant for 5000 baht, and 2 of them transfer the funds via ATM, how does the merchant know which of the 3 customers made the transfer?

Good question.

I have often had to wonder or guess who payments or transfers went to.... :blink:

I guess unlike the US u need to log each transaction in a register, eliminating a big benefit of online banking.

It makes online banking in Thailand less than ideal. Like u say identical amounts become guess work.:unsure:

Maybe if everyone asks their bank to identify each transaction with something other than a number?:shock1: It could happen.

When you ad a person and their bank account into your online banking transfer system (at least with SCB) you will get a text message on your phone (the number you used to get online banking) and once you ad them any transaction they make will show up in your "statements" on your OLB.

If they are not added then no info shows up except what you said.

For Bangkok Bank their interent banking system pretty much just shows basic info...not a lot of detail. It's a good, basic internet banking system. In early December they started using a new-and-improved version of their internet banking, but the improvements are small and more of a new-paint-job than anything else. I think until Thailand financial laws/rules/regulations catch up to the western countries (whether you consider this good or bad) and businesses/individuals start using a wider variety of financial products, internet banking in Thailand will stay pretty basic compared to western nations.

I noticed that Bangkok Bank internet banking started to put some more transaction information in, maybe the December upgrade mentioned above - you can add a reference field it seems and get info about which account the transfer came from/goes to - but it seems to work with transactions on internet only. Basically it seems that savings accounts have very little detail, current account records have a bit more. Larger companies use "bill payment" to get the details of each payment to reconcile to their billing systems.

If anybody has any suggestions on how our Bualuang iBanking service can be improved, please PM me or post. While we have a pretty full work plan for 2011, if there is something which makes sense I will try to get it included. Please try to be positive, creative and realistic. Please also note that some things missing are due to the differences in the financial infrastructure in Thailand.

Ranting, raving, flaming, or other negative comments will be ignored.

I am hoping there are plenty of smart people who have a contribution to make during this holiday season :jap: . Thank you.

Ian