Nearly Full Passport - Advice Please.

Hello,

I've had a rather troubling morning.

I went to take my regular Visa Service to Baan Laem this morning and witnessed the popular European owner in the process of being busted by plain clothes Thai Immigration.

I had arrived somewhat late and watched as the occupants of a loaded van being told to return to the van in order for them to go to Immigration.

I left as the people outside the van were being photographed by officials.

My passport has one page left at the front and barely half a page midway through.

The proprietor assured me that this wouldn't pose a problem at the border (to renew my 2 x tourist visa) but never had the chance to show him and regain his assurance before heading out of Bangkok.

My question is whether anyone here can advise on this?

My first page would obviously (& hopefully) be taken up by the Cambodian Visa, I wonder if the Thai officials would agree to sign me back in mid way in the passport?

Is my best bet to bite the bullet, order a new passport (up to 30 days from what I understand) and then pay the overstay at the closest available time?

Thank you,

E.m. in Bangkok.

Normally immigration will stamp you in when they can find a space for the stamp to fit. Half a page should do it for the exit and entry stamp, but make sure that Thai immmigration doesn't stamp you out on the empty page.

After that, get a new passport.

I agree with what has been said above. I think there's likely to be more problems when whoever can't put a full page visa on a completely blank page. So as Mario said, watch for the Thailand exit stamp. My last full page visa from the Thai Consulate in Hull was issued with a phone call saying that it might not be accepted by Thai immigration because they had stamped (at my request) on my last (nearly full) page, which had a very small stamp right at the top. Was no problem of course. The woman said they are normally told to use complete blank pages only. Cambodia may be similar but I don't know.

Also had to beg this year for my local immigration office to put a re-entry permit on my last remaining half page - there was room but barely and they made a song and dance about it but it got done. After this I only had a few small spaces but enough for an exit stamp and there were no problems leaving the country like that. Happy to be in possession of a new 48 page passport now though.

Can the Cambo eVisa be used at a land border? If so that might negate the need for a full-page stamp visa.

Just a thought.

It depends on the border. See Here

Sorry I was just reading this and I have a nearly full passport that I am trying to make last until a summer visit to the UK.

Just to confirm, when you apply for an e-visa, the only entries in the passport are the entry and exit stamps.

The visa itself stays on paper and doesn't get transferred to the passport?

Thanks

Can the Cambo eVisa be used at a land border? If so that might negate the need for a full-page stamp visa.

Just a thought.

Sorry I was just reading this and I have a nearly full passport that I am trying to make last until a summer visit to the UK.

Just to confirm, when you apply for an e-visa, the only entries in the passport are the entry and exit stamps.

Thanks

Visa is always stamped in the passport and Ed. Visa from Thailand will take up one page from Thai Embassy.

Just a thought.

Thanks

Visa is always stamped in the passport and Ed. Visa from Thailand will take up one page from Thai Embassy.

Sorry I meant the Cambodian e-visa. I don't think Thailand does e-visas yet, more's the pity.

A while ago I printed out some small pieces of paper which I staple to my blank passport pages which say in thai "this page is reserved for visas from other countries". (Sometimes I'll even staple all the blank pages together with that note on the first one;

The thai wording looks like this;

หน้านี้จองไว้

สำหรับวีซ่า

ประเทศอื่น ๆ

Before I enter thailand, I also put a yellow post-it note which marks the page in my passport which has an empty spot for the thai entry stamp, with the words "put the entry stamp for thailand on this page".

ให้แสตมป์เข้า

ประเทศไทยหน้านี้

FWIW: This tactic is usually enough to have the immigration official put the stamp where I want, instead of in the middle of an empty page like they want to do all too often. Also it often gets a chuckle from them, that a foreigner would have 'stamping instructions' written in thai in their passport.

A while ago I printed out some small pieces of paper which I staple to my blank passport pages which say in thai "this page is reserved for visas from other countries". (Sometimes I'll even staple all the blank pages together with that note on the first one;

หน้านี้จองไว้

สำหรับวีซ่า

ประเทศอื่น ๆ

Before I enter thailand, I also put a yellow post-it note which marks the page in my passport which has an empty spot for the thai entry stamp, with the words "put the entry stamp for thailand on this page".

ให้แสตมป์เข้า

ประเทศไทยหน้านี้

FWIW: This tactic is usually enough to have the immigration official put the stamp where I want, instead of in the middle of an empty page like they want to do all too often. Also it often gets a chuckle from them, that a foreigner would have 'stamping instructions' written in thai in their passport.

Thanks Todd your a good man to have on TVF.

I have a Non Imi. Multi entry visa in my old out-stamped Passport, which is now clipped together with the new passport.

The visa in the non valid old passport is still valid but they stamp (arrivals-departures) in the new off-course.

Only set-back is that I carry 2 passports and confuse immigration wherever I go, LOL.

My passport is also nearly full so I don't want full page stickers for Cambodia visas.

So I also use the evisa service at http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/evisa/.

The Khmers are very obliging and will put entry and exit stamps where you ask them to.

Cambodia offers an excellent evisa service for $25 which I can recommend.

You do need a scanned copy of a passport sized photo.

You visit the web site, pay $25 with a credit card and then print 2 copies of the visa which they email you.

One of them will be stapled to your passport when you enter Cambodia.

(You might have to staple it yourself if they run out of staples).

The Cambodia evisa cannot be used at all crossing points.

It cannot be used at the Pailin (or Nam Ron in Thailand) crossing point,

It can be used at Poipet (Aranyaprethet) and at Koh Kong (Klong Yai).

Edited by jobsworth

• 10 months later...

หน้านี้จองไว้

สำหรับวีซ่า

ประเทศอื่น ๆ

ให้แสตมป์เข้า

ประเทศไทยหน้านี้

Hi Todd, wonder if you can help please? I am travelling to Phuket tomorrow (Monday) from Singapore on a UK pasport. However, there are no free pages available and is pretty much full up with other full page visas ( Thailand,Indonesia and Cambodia) and stamps. There are also a couple of 2 day Thai overstay stamps and a 7 extention stamp in the passport. There is space available for 30 day exit/entry stamps on a couple of the pages, Are immigration OK with this at Phuket? I've found that HK and Sigapore will stamp anywhere without question. RichSee has already said it would be OK but just want to double check as it's causing me some anxiety. Thanks in advance.

หน้านี้จองไว้

สำหรับวีซ่า

ประเทศอื่น ๆ

ให้แสตมป์เข้า

ประเทศไทยหน้านี้

Hi Todd, wonder if you can help please? I am travelling to Phuket tomorrow (Monday) from Singapore on a UK pasport. However, there are no free pages available and is pretty much full up with other full page visas ( Thailand,Indonesia and Cambodia) and stamps. There are also a couple of 2 day Thai overstay stamps and a 7 extention stamp in the passport. There is space available for 30 day exit/entry stamps on a couple of the pages, Are immigration OK with this at Phuket? I've found that HK and Sigapore will stamp anywhere without question. RichSee has already said it would be OK but just want to double check as it's causing me some anxiety. Thanks in advance.

Sorry, 7 day extention stamp in Samui