Nfl Broadcasts

TaoNow

With the NFL play-offs looming, do any of you have recommendations for the best bar/pub to watch live broadcasts?

These broadcasts often start at 3 a.m. local time so it would have to be a place that stays open 24/7.

In past years I've gone to Marley's and Yorkshire Pub (Saen Sabai road extension of Bangla).

But I would to try a new place if any of you have had good results there.

Since Don's is gone, i don't see too many club owners that will consistently get up early morning to have them on.

Especially in a club/bar atmosphere.

I think we are destined to watch the games on channelsurfing dot net

Works for me.

ps. Hopefully someone will have a Super Bowl party though.

Go Eagles!

Since Don's is gone, i don't see too many club owners that will consistently get up early morning to have them on.

Especially in a club/bar atmosphere.

I think we are destined to watch the games on channelsurfing dot net

Works for me.

ps. Hopefully someone will have a Super Bowl party though.

Go Eagles!

Yo FH !

Freebird Bar Chris has opened a sportsbar at the three way in Nai Harn, where the no-go defunct Latinos fiasco used to be.

Ricky's in Kata may also. I'll re-post here if he does.

It is nice to post something about your mate.

But if you don't have any information please don't

Its a forum and ScubaBudda is not breaking any rules of posting on it.

PC, don't you love the moderator wannabes? Yeeeeeeesh.................

Ricky's in Kata may also. I'll re-post here if he does.

It is nice to post something about your mate.

But if you don't have any information please don't

Its a forum and ScubaBudda is not breaking any rules of posting on it.

never said he broke a rule

just a non info post to mention get free advertisment for Ricky

never said he broke a rule

just a non info post to mention get free advertisment for Ricky

And?? Let me ask if your posts are pertinent to this thread. Oops, there are no posts about football from you. Back on topic, Freebirds new sports bar as mentioned by a previous poster will show the games in the evening of the day they are played.

You can go to NFL.com and get a pass to watch all the games online live or recorded for future viewing. I hook my computer to the TV with HDMI connection. You can even skip the commercials.The price for the playoffs are $69.95. You need a decent connection or there will be stops in the streaming video. It's not perfect but it's close enough for Thailand. During the regular season they've had the redzone channel on there as well. This is the same as getting the Directv NFL ticket. Only available outside North America. For an NFL football fan, the only way to fly.

For an NFL football fan, the only way to fly.

There is another option I have posted about before. I have a Slingbox which also needs a decent internet connection. I control a DVR/cable box located in the states with a remote here in Thailand and it plays on my TV (or at least I did until the mobile tower next door, and possibly my house, was hit my lighting last week and my SlingCatcher was fried along with my computer). Prior to that I have had varying degrees of success.

Hum, doesn't anyone have Truevisions? ASN has NFL games on all the time. Live and repeats. They also have NHL games on too. SB I have thought about Slingbox as there aren't any NBA games on anywhere. But my internet speed is so variable, I think it would drive me nuts with the stream getting interrupted all the time... You say it's a bit iffy here. The non HD box says a minimum 600 Kbps and the HD box I think it said 3 Mbps for the streams... So, how was your luck with it before your system went down?

Hum, doesn't anyone have Truevisions? ASN has NFL games on all the time. Live and repeats. They also have NHL games on too. SB I have thought about Slingbox as there aren't any NBA games on anywhere. But my internet speed is so variable, I think it would drive me nuts with the stream getting interrupted all the time... You say it's a bit iffy here. The non HD box says a minimum 600 Kbps and the HD box I think it said 3 Mbps for the streams... So, how was your luck with it before your system went down?

When I had TTT/3bb 4mb and then 5mb for 2500 baht, I got a good 1-1.5mb stream and crisp picture. Problem was it wasn't always consistent, and 3bb's network was down so much it wasn't really viable. So I switched to TOT 4mb. It's always up but I usually get a stream of only 200-300kbps which is barely watchable, even less so with fast moving sports. On occasion I will get speeds of 500-600kbps which is pretty decent. For a week in October I got 800-1mb consistently. Go figure. I can't say for sure whether it is Thai ISP's or throttling occurring elsewhere in the line. Comcast, my stateside ISP says I have 5mb upload from the Slingbox location in Ca, but they are also known to traffic shape streaming video's and torrents. Some Slingbox users are paying a little extra for a proxy server stateside that somehow optimizes the international connection. Others report changing the default ports improve speeds. I have also heard of people paying the stateside ISP a additional fee to get them to not throttle their upload streams.

I tried logging onto my Slingbox using TOT's new fiber2u at their office, and still got less than a 400kbps stream, so I am not optimistic about that. No way are you going to get 3mb for the HD Slingbox in Thailand any time soon unless maybe you pay the however many thousands of baht it is for the business fiber package and are in an ideal location. And that's assuming you don't get intentionally throttled by an ISP somewhere along the line.

Other than the speed issue, and now the lightning, I have not had any other problems, well at least not once I learned what "port forwarding" was and how to do it.

I don't want to derail the thread, so here are some more links with discussion of Slingbox's in Thailand.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/423624-slingbox/page__p__4078549__hl__slingbox__fromsearch__1#entry4078549

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/423109-tot-fiber-2u-now-available-anybody-have-experience/page__gopid__4111116#entry4111116

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/418002-slingbox-rental-with-tv-programming-in-san-francisco-ca/page__p__4030204__hl__slingbox__fromsearch__1#entry4030204

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/409930-slingbox/page__p__3979833__hl__slingbox__fromsearch__1#entry3979833

www.slingmedia.com

And by the way, my system hasn't gone down. Just the Slingcatcher which acts like a DVR box clone, and relays my IR controller inputs to the Slingbox then plays the TV signal on my TV. I can still watch my Slingbox via my laptop and computer once I get a new power supply. At the moment I am getting a middle picture quality 500-615kbps, and realizing that I am missing the 49ers game. Grrr....

Edited by ScubaBuddha

When I had TTT/3bb 4mb and then 5mb for 2500 baht, I got a good 1-1.5mb stream and crisp picture. Problem was it wasn't always consistent, and 3bb's network was down so much it wasn't really viable. So I switched to TOT 4mb. It's always up but I usually get a stream of only 200-300kbps which is barely watchable, even less so with fast moving sports. On occasion I will get speeds of 500-600kbps which is pretty decent. For a week in October I got 800-1mb consistently. Go figure. I can't say for sure whether it is Thai ISP's or throttling occurring elsewhere in the line. Comcast, my stateside ISP says I have 5mb upload from the Slingbox location in Ca, but they are also known to traffic shape streaming video's and torrents. Some Slingbox users are paying a little extra for a proxy server stateside that somehow optimizes the international connection. Others report changing the default ports improve speeds. I have also heard of people paying the stateside ISP a additional fee to get them to not throttle their upload streams.

I tried logging onto my Slingbox using TOT's new fiber2u at their office, and still got less than a 400kbps stream, so I am not optimistic about that. No way are you going to get 3mb for the HD Slingbox in Thailand any time soon unless maybe you pay the however many thousands of baht it is for the business fiber package and are in an ideal location. And that's assuming you don't get intentionally throttled by an ISP somewhere along the line.

Other than the speed issue, and now the lightning, I have not had any other problems, well at least not once I learned what "port forwarding" was and how to do it.

I don't want to derail the thread, so here are some more links with discussion of Slingbox's in Thailand.

http://www.thaivisa..._1#entry4078549

http://www.thaivisa....16#entry4111116

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry4030204

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry3979833

www.slingmedia.com

And by the way, my system hasn't gone down. Just the Slingcatcher which acts like a DVR box clone, and relays my IR controller inputs to the Slingbox then plays the TV signal on my TV. I can still watch my Slingbox via my laptop and computer once I get a new power supply. At the moment I am getting a middle picture quality 500-615kbps, and realizing that I am missing the 49ers game. Grrr....

Thanks for the info and links! Yeah, I just getting the Jets and Bears, live on ASN.

Here is an example of the best quality picture the Slingbox Solo can deliver if you have a 1Mbps or better stream. I have never gotten this quality with TOT 4mb without major studderinng and skipping. With 3bb 5mb premium I usually could, if my internet felt like working.

12-27-20103-24-06AM.jpg

This is the middle quality. I can often get this quality without studdering, but not always. It requires a continuous stream of 600kbps. Sports are watchable but not great.

12-27-20103-26-16AM.jpg

This lowest quality level is almost ok for things like news or The Colbert Report, but not much else. Forget about sports.Minimum speed needed is 250kbps. Sometimes I can't get that with TOT but a power cycle of the router often improves things.

12-27-20103-45-51AM.jpg

*I'm hoping my posts register high enough on FritSikkinks very sensitive "EIVOYP" meter. (that's "Estimated Informational Value of your Post" Meter) :)

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Here is an example of the best quality picture the Slingbox Solo can deliver if you have a 1Mbps or better stream. I have never gotten this quality with TOT 4mb without major studderinng and skipping. With 3bb 5mb premium I usually could, if my internet felt like working.

12-27-20103-24-06AM.jpg

This is the middle quality. I can often get this quality without studdering, but not always. It requires a continuous stream of 600kbps. Sports are watchable but not great.

12-27-20103-26-16AM.jpg

This lowest quality level is almost ok for things like news or The Colbert Report, but not much else. Forget about sports.Minimum speed needed is 250kbps. Sometimes I can't get that with TOT but a power cycle of the router often improves things.

12-27-20103-45-51AM.jpg

*I'm hoping my posts register high enough on FritSikkinks very sensitive "EIVOYP" meter. (that's "Estimated Informational Value of your Post" Meter) :)

Great post :D

Thanks guys for the generally helpful (and flame-free) advice. I'll check out Freebird's in Rawai (?)

And, in response to others: Yes, I could buy a TV, install cable and buy the True Visions Platinum package for upteen baht a month only to watch a few sports events per year.

But as you may know from previous threads, I am trying to live frugally in Phuket. Not as an exercise in self-denial. But more out of respect for His Majesty's "sufficiency economy" philosophy.

Plus, you can meet some interesting folks while watching the games in the bars.

Party on....

were is freebirds i've never seen it before is it Rawai or nai Harn????

Nai Harn at the three way junction, just past Icon pub as you are heading toward the beach.

Scubabuddha- if you are still looking here, can you ask your pal at Rick and Rolls if they will show the elimination game between the Rams and Seachickens Monday morning? It should be on Truevisions, would be great to bag a coffee and some breakfast and watch that. The other sports pubs I know won't be open that early (8:15AM). Thanks ! GOM