Camping/Outdoor Shop

ianf

Robinsons at the Airport Plaza.

Cannot remember which floor, but it`s all there for sale.

I believe "SuperSports" is on the 2nd floor, immediately to the far right as you get off the escalator.

http://www.superspor...s-20101029.html

Central, Kad Suan Kaew had a pretty good selection as I recall.

Edited by ThaiWx

I believe "SuperSports" is on the 2nd floor, immediately to the far right as you get off the escalator.

Central has 'Karrimor' rucksacks, although I doubt they're made-in-England these days, and prices weren't cheap (3k-5k) thanks to the current exchange-rate. My B600 cheap-rucksack from Carrefour has so-far lasted me 3 years, with a little care & maintenance, for what it's worth.

I sometimes also see short-term sales of tents/bags/rucksacks in the promotional-areas in Central.

Whatever happened to good-quality frame-rucksacks ? I should never have let myself be persuaded to dump my old one, just because it was getting old & tatty, but it's too late ! :(

Edited by Ricardo

BicC and Tesco on Hang Dong road sell both tents, sleeping bags, ruck-sacks (from cheap and nasty upwards), stoves, penknifes, etc - much cheaper than shopping mall department stores I would think - BigC has the best selection. Obviously if you want pro stuff, then go to the sports shop and be prepared to pay above western prices for all.

Central has 'Karrimor' rucksacks, although I doubt they're made-in-England these days, and prices weren't cheap (3k-5k) thanks to the current exchange-rate. My B600 cheap-rucksack from Carrefour has so-far lasted me 3 years, with a little care & maintenance, for what it's worth.

I sometimes also see short-term sales of tents/bags/rucksacks in the promotional-areas in Central.

Whatever happened to good-quality frame-rucksacks ? I should never have let myself be persuaded to dump my old one, just because it was getting old & tatty, but it's too late ! :(

Yes, to me a rucksack has a framne and a bergan doesn't - but it has all been merged these days. I used to have a lovely 80Kg (max weight) frame rucksack that had a swinging piece that rotated out to form a chair - aslo stood up on it own - miss that, but threw it away many years ago now as no one wanted it.

Shame on you 'Ricardo' You dumped a bergen because it got tatty, ha ha.

I still have a 95 litre Berghaus I got in 85, admittedly it needs some TLC, I have a newish one now but I can't seem to toss the “old girl” out, I was thinking of sending it back to Berghaus for a make-a-mends.......But just haven't got around to it. I lived like a snail for 10 years and that Bergen was my home, we went everywhere together. You are one stone cold dude!

This seems to be the right audience to ask=

what type of sleeping bag would you recommend for

- indoors, e.g, cold bungalows/ huts

- not too thick but some padding to compensate for overly tough beds.

-easy to take on motorbike

If you're just using it indoors, what you really want is a blanket. Thin sleeping bags offer no padding, which is why you always need a mat under them. Just fold up a blanket into several layers. Use as many layers as you want for padding and the rest for warmth, depending on the temperature and hardness of the bed.

I still have a 95 litre Berghaus I got in 85, admittedly it needs some TLC, I have a newish one now but I can't seem to toss the “old girl” out, I was thinking of sending it back to Berghaus for a make-a-mends.......But just haven't got around to it. I lived like a snail for 10 years and that Bergen was my home, we went everywhere together. You are one stone cold dude!

I plead 'orders from she who must be obeyed, m'lud'. :o She was ashamed to travel with me, if I was carrying such an old (but still very practical & much-loved) rucksack, and I wished to remain married, I think it's called 'force majeure' ? :rolleyes:

Edited by Ricardo

There IS a demand for high quality camping gear.

It's too bad that some Thai manufacturer hasn't taken the bull by the horns and produced good quality stuff. I know that virtually ALL high end camping gear is made in Asia. There are many North American outlets that have fabulous gear made in Asia and they charge high prices for the stuff. Why not right here in Thailand? They've certainly got the skills to copy stuff. Most back packs I've seen in Thailand LOOK good, but when you inspect their harnesses they are crap. Not one I've ever seen in Asia has enough padding in the shoulder straps.

I've never seen a Thermarest self inflatable mattress, but they are the perfect item for sleeping anywhere.

I have a great idea for sleeping bags that would be a hit everywhere, but are just not produced. My idea would be a series of ONE sided bags of different thicknesses so you could zipper 2 together for the ideal bag. when it's warm in the evening just sleep on the thick side and have the thin side on top. then, when it cools off in the middle of the night, just turn the whole thing over. A hiker could pick what ever he or she needed depending ot the temperature or climate. Anyone with the money to start a company to produce bags like that for local and overseas sales then be my guest and take my idea. You'll start a new trend.

And, I've spent more nights in the wilderness than most hikers I known over the past 50 years. I'm just too dam old to start another business.

Ian_with_goat.jpg

Edited by IanForbes

There IS a demand for high quality camping gear.

It's too bad that some Thai manufacturer hasn't taken the bull by the horns and produced good quality stuff. I know that virtually ALL high end camping gear is made in Asia. There are many North American outlets that have fabulous gear made in Asia and they charge high prices for the stuff. Why not right here in Thailand? They've certainly got the skills to copy stuff. Most back packs I've seen in Thailand LOOK good, but when you inspect their harnesses they are crap. Not one I've ever seen in Asia has enough padding in the shoulder straps.

I've never seen a Thermarest self inflatable mattress, but they are the perfect item for sleeping anywhere.

I have a great idea for sleeping bags that would be a hit everywhere, but are just not produced. My idea would be a series of ONE sided bags of different thicknesses so you could zipper 2 together for the ideal bag. when it's warm in the evening just sleep on the thick side and have the thin side on top. then, when it cools off in the middle of the night, just turn the whole thing over. A hiker could pick what ever he or she needed depending ot the temperature or climate. Anyone with the money to start a company to produce bags like that for local and overseas sales then be my guest and take my idea. You'll start a new trend.

And, I've spent more nights in the wilderness than most hikers I known over the past 50 years. I'm just too dam old to start another business.

Ian_with_goat.jpg

OK Ian.................Is that you carrying the bergen, or being carried in it?

I plead 'orders from she who must be obeyed, m'lud'. :o She was ashamed to travel with me, if I was carrying such an old (but still very practical & much-loved) rucksack, and I wished to remain married, I think it's called 'force majeure' ? :rolleyes:

Sorry Ricardo, I had no idea you were under marshal law. My deepest condolences, I too have felt the bitter side of my loved one who could not understand my affection for a big, green and smelly sack, (as she put it) It used to make all my things smell like an old long forgotten MOD store, Ahh, fond memories.........That's of me and my Bergen, not the old Trout, she's had to go. She couldn't carry her own weight, and got well out of shape if she got wet!

I've lost track of the number of rucksacks and back packs I own. I still surprise myself when checking in my outdoor closet and see them all hanging there.. Some are pack frames, some have internal frames, some are made of titanium while others are made of plastic or aluminum. A bunch are just sacks with straps. Many are waterproof for canoe trips in white water, or for any type of boat camping. All my useful luggage now has back pack straps that can be hidden. A few frames have drop down seats to carry heavy boxes that need to be strapped to the frame. They all have uses depending on the outing. Gawd knows what my kids are going to do with them all when I die... probably some auction or garage sale. None of my kids hunt, so they won't need the hunting pack frames.

Sorry Ricardo, I had no idea you were under marshal law. My deepest condolences, I too have felt the bitter side of my loved one who could not understand my affection for a big, green and smelly sack, (as she put it) It used to make all my things smell like an old long forgotten MOD store, Ahh, fond memories.........That's of me and my Bergen, not the old Trout, she's had to go. She couldn't carry her own weight, and got well out of shape if she got wet!

Mrs R has proven very durable & a good 'runner', even if the bodywork isn't quite what it once was, on the original model. Familiarity breeds content ! :wub:

My own beloved-bag was a Karrimor frame-rucksack, ideal for a 1-night-trek or a week in the Highlands, with full camping-gear, and I must admit that my own frame was also in somewhat-better condition back then. :rolleyes:

I've lost track of the number of rucksacks and back packs I own. I still surprise myself when checking in my outdoor closet and see them all hanging there.. Some are pack frames, some have internal frames, some are made of titanium while others are made of plastic or aluminum. A bunch are just sacks with straps. Many are waterproof for canoe trips in white water, or for any type of boat camping. All my useful luggage now has back pack straps that can be hidden. A few frames have drop down seats to carry heavy boxes that need to be strapped to the frame. They all have uses depending on the outing. Gawd knows what my kids are going to do with them all when I die... probably some auction or garage sale. None of my kids hunt, so they won't need the hunting pack frames.

Ian, might I suggest that you give/leave them to you local Scouting-troop, so that they continue to serve a useful purpose, when you yourselve have been carried-off by six good-men-and-true ? Long may that be delayed ! :thumbsup: