Changing Up My 1 Baht Coins

james24

Hi guys

Merry christmas to you all.

I have about 5-6 2 litre bottles full of 1 baht coins. Where can I change these up....?

I remember a place in Phuket where you could literally pour them into a machine and be given back a note(s).

I kow this is a bit out there but what are they made of...? If they are silver could I melt them down and sell it...? Yes I did just say that and yes I think its mad too bit I just wanted to ask.

Other members have reported having a lot of difficulty getting banks to take the as they have to hand count them. Others said places like 7-11 or similar will except them as it gives them change but probably not in that quantity.

Ten baht coins are brass disks in a silver coloured copper nickel ring Many commemorative baht coins have been made for special events Five baht coins are copper nickel with copper rims One baht coins are copper nickel The and satang coins are brass
Thaipro and more details

I suspect melting them down (destroying them) would be illegal as they are legal tender plus they have a portrait of HRH.

//edit - If you are not concerned about the money, then perhaps put them in various donation boxes - if you trust them to be actually used for donations. ;)

Other members have reported having a lot of difficulty getting banks to take the as they have to hand count them. Others said places like 7-11 or similar will except them as it gives them change but probably not in that quantity.

Ten baht coins are brass disks in a silver coloured copper nickel ring Many commemorative baht coins have been made for special events Five baht coins are copper nickel with copper rims One baht coins are copper nickel The and satang coins are brass
Thaipro and more details

I suspect melting them down (destroying them) would be illegal as they are legal tender plus they have a portrait of HRH.

//edit - If you are not concerned about the money, then perhaps put them in various donation boxes - if you trust them to be actually used for donations. ;)

Or given to beggars you believe to be on the up and up.

I use to have that same problem until I decided to carry a few with me and just spend them. My ciggies cost me ฿58, so I always carry at least three one baht coins for the exact change, or to receive bigger bills or coins in change. Keeps them from accumulating at home.

Also not too much of a pain to carry 10 or 15 and use them for the occasional Coke, water, or M-150 at the 7-Eleven. And the clerks there love me when I just lay the exact amount on the counter. They get to work and think less! biggrin.gif

buy yourself a small Coin Pouch , and the next time you pay , start using those coin for smaller change . you will see how amazing and fun this is .

my wife carry a small coin pouch . sometime when we top petrol for my old honda bike we use Coin , the station love us .

when we go Tesco or 7-11 to buy some drink or snack , there will ask us for more coin .

:)

i had 2 bottle of 5 litre table wine full of coin . seen like i never finish using it even when i try :)

good to feel as if the coin grow whahahhahahahhahahah

I have taken up to 1,000 baht in coins to Pattaya and changed them at a 7-11 but closer to home, the little store close to my home takes them.

I just count them, put the different coins in separate bags (including 25 & 50 stang coins) with the denominations and how much and the lady takes them with no hesitation.

Try the little stores that cook food, they need the change especially those close to schools. Worth a try.