No Fizz For Foreign Beers In Thai Market Despite Afta

webfact

Guiness on tap in Isaan? :thumbsup:

Oh man, I drove all around rural NKP looking for a case of guinness for christmas, but no luck. Had to settle for heineken!

I'm curous to know the difference between Thailand and Vietnam. Vn has Budweiser everywhere, thailand, nowhere. No snide remarks from the European TV members please.:burp:

I'm in rural NKP province, and I've never seen anything here except singha, leo, tiger, and heineken. If anyone knows where to buy a decent red or brown ale around here, let me know, for the love of god!

"Danish Baker" in Nong Khai advertises Carlsberg. Can't confirm they sell it though, but plan to test it out on my next visit.

I read that Chang and Leo are made with sticky rice instead of barley. But what about Singha? Anyone know for sure?

There seems to me a big difference between the quality of bottled and draft Singha and Leo (can't speak for Chang). I much prefer the draft which leaves me with no trace of a headache the following day. I have been told that the bottled stuff contains formaldehyde as a preservative so that it can be stored "upcountry" in the various mom and pop stores which have limited refrigeration and no air conditioning (a reason to buy your stuff from 7 eleven?) Logically you'd expect places that sell draft to have bigger and better storage facilities.

I won't touch bottled or canned Leo or Singha; when there's no draft I go for Archa, a really good cheap brew

• 2 weeks later...

for the record, regarding tsingtao... http://www.urbanmyths.com/index.php?/Food/beer-myths-is-there-formaldehyde-in-beer.html ... even though it tases decent, it actually isn't somehting one ought to imbibe regularly.

thai beer is awful indeed, and asahi brewed here is no exception.

ALL neighbouring countries make decent beer.

Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia all have excellent beers.

Whenever I go there I enjoy the brews so much it's like heaven.

Back here I just don't have any mood for drinking.

Apart from being nasty-tasting and toxic, the beers here are terribly overpriced.

Thailand is the only country in the region that was never formally colonised.

I think that's part of the reason why their beers are so awful.

Goes in line with the general thai stubbornness about many things.

Just my stubborn 2 cents.

Guiness on tap in Isaan? :thumbsup:

Oh man, I drove all around rural NKP looking for a case of guinness for christmas, but no luck. Had to settle for heineken!

I'm curous to know the difference between Thailand and Vietnam. Vn has Budweiser everywhere, thailand, nowhere. No snide remarks from the European TV members please.:burp:

Some of us know where to get bud here for 45B per bottle and Corona for 55 ;)