Tot Broadband

likite

I have subscribed to TOT's gold ADSL service and am using their TOT broadband router. I have only 1 pc operating XP. I use 2 browsers Internet explorer and most often Firefox.

Everyday I get problems with this connection. Either it is very slow or it just packs all together. I get "This page cannot be found" Often 30 minutes later after I have turned off everything the system is up and running again and the connection is OK.

This is happening everyday is the usual for TOT?? or.................??

Yes I am having the same problem and have been for 2-3 weeks.

It was working fine before I left for the UK 2 1/2 months ago, and when I

returned the problem was there. I started a thread about this a week ago

so you might want to search for that.

I thought it might be my zonealarm firewall, so I un-installed it then

re-installed it. It seemed fine again, but then back to the slowness.

Somtimes it's ok for an hour, then every web page i try to enter

directs itself to the error page. The bytes received and sent from the

internet are very low.

I live in Samui so I will ask in that section if anyone else is having the problem.

An I T lad came round because he said it might be spyware but the computer

is clean. So he told my wife that alot of people are using the 1024/256 package

now so this is why it may be slow.

If this is the case, then it stinks because I don't want to have to use the web

in the early hours when everybody else is off line so I can get some speed

when I surf. At the minute I think dial up is quicker!!

I'm phoning TOT tomorrow.

I was beginniing to think I was the only one with a problem judging by the lack of any replies.

I also use zonealarm but I don't think it is the problem. The number of people subscribing to the gold service may well be!

I would be interested in the outcome of your call to TOT.

I was beginniing to think I was the only one with a problem judging by the lack of any replies.

I also use zonealarm but I don't think it is the problem. The number of people subscribing to the gold service may well be!

I would be interested in the outcome of your call to TOT.

Try uninstalling your zonealarm, because I tried this again today and

am just using the basic windows firewall, and the adsl has speeded up

and there are no error pages.

I don't know how safe and rliable the windows firewall is though?

Any suggestions on an alternative?

Have had no real problems with TOT here in Bangkok, but then it's broadband I'm on, not ADSL. I had loads of problems before when I had Sygate Personal Firewall on though, so I wouldn't advise using that one if you decide to look beyond Windows Firewall.

Well it's sods law. I've done nothing to change anything and everything is working pretty well OK!!

Still have my zonealarm on and will keep it on as I have never had any problems with it. Famous last words.

Fingers crossed the connection holds up !!!!!!

I was going to post a topic on ToT broadband!

How long does it take to install? I am going down to the shop in Khon Kaen today to ask for it.

Is there anything important I should know and ask for?

Am I right in thinking it is about 800 baht a month which includes unlimited access?

What is ZoneAlarm and do I need it?

Cheers :o

I was going to post a topic on ToT broadband!

How long does it take to install? I am going down to the shop in Khon Kaen today to ask for it.

Is there anything important I should know and ask for?

Am I right in thinking it is about 800 baht a month which includes unlimited access?

What is ZoneAlarm and do I need it?

Cheers :o

It takes up to a week for them to send the signal through your phone line, unless it's been enabled already. I can't really think of anything in particular you'll need to ask for.

It costs 590 Baht a month for the cheapest package which is pretty slow. Next up is 750 Baht for a connection that is (supposedly) twice as fast. There are then a few more incrementations until the fastest connection which costs 2,200 Baht a month. With all these you need to pay 2 months up front in advance. Connection and so-on is all free. And if you start on a certain speed and find it too slow you can easily upgrade, but you can never downgrade. And all access is unlimited.

Zonealarm is a firewall that helps protect your computer from receiving viruses, spyware, etc. It's adviseable to put some kind of firewall on your computer, doesn't necessarily have to be ZoneAlarm though. More info on it is here http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp.

Hope all this helps!

Dan.

Edited by dantilley

It takes up to a week for them to send the signal through your phone line, unless it's been enabled already. I can't really think of anything in particular you'll need to ask for.

It costs 590 Baht a month for the cheapest package which is pretty slow. Next up is 750 Baht for a connection that is (supposedly) twice as fast. There are then a few more incrementations until the fastest connection which costs 2,200 Baht a month. With all these you need to pay 2 months up front in advance. Connection and so-on is all free. And if you start on a certain speed and find it too slow you can easily upgrade, but you can never downgrade. And all access is unlimited.

Zonealarm is a firewall that helps protect your computer from receiving viruses, spyware, etc. It's adviseable to put some kind of firewall on your computer, doesn't necessarily have to be ZoneAlarm though. More info on it is here http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp.

Hope all this helps!

Dan.

That helped a lot, thanks Dan :o

Too many subscribers...

Here on Phuket when I first moved to this package (3 or 4 months ago) I would get a fairly solid 400 kbps which I was ok with (1024 service but hey TIT)..

Then it slowed to 100 - 200 kbps not enough for video or even sometimes hi quality web radio..

Now its crawling along.. Not only the connections but ping tests on the DNS servers show many lost or dropped packets.. Seems to me like the DNS and proxies at pacific just cant handle the strain..

Speaking with the local head engineer he tells me they are simply signing too many people to the system.. Asked me to complain and write a letter as every complaint helps him argue for more bandwidth, he claimed 2 weeks ago that more should come onstream in the next couple of weeks.. This last week was awful preventing me even DLing applications which was annoying as I nuke and paved my laptop and needed lots of stuff put on thier fresh..

A visit to the local TOT office had every desk upstairs with people signing up to the cheap packages.. I made sure that my polite complaints were loud enough for all to hear but the TOT officers just smile, nod, and say theres nothing they can do.. Getting 10 kbps instead of 1024.. Sorry perhaps you would like to sign up to JI Net (and still pay the full 1000 baht even though you dont use the ISP.. Makes no sense to me)..

I have told them if they want to supply me less than 10% of serice I will only pay 10% of my bills.. The bizzare thing is even though I have had ADSL in this location for 4 months I havent been billed yet so they are obviously as adept at that as they are at providing a suitable service..

Edited by LivinLOS

I'm in Rayong, using TT&T with JI-net. Just sent a flaming e-mail to them as the service is more than often very slow and the blame usually gets on a mysterious Chonburi Node. Now I wonder...is this Chonburi Node used only by JI-Net or also by other providers. If not, I might change the provider any time soon.

I got myself connected to CS-Loxinfo ADSL over my TT&T line last week. Pretty much what all of you have reported: sometimes it works fine, sometimes it is extremely slow, sometimes the connection goes out totally. This can be annoying at times but overall, the ADSL is a step up from the dial-up connection that I have been using, plus the monthly cost for the ADSL connection will be about the same as for the dial-up (ISP fees plus local calls).

My TOT 1024/256Kbps is working fine... but I've also wondered why I'm not getting any bill for using it... been about 2 months now :o

Are you sure? It is billed on your normal phone bill. There is not a seperate bill for the ADSL service.

I realize that.. Been more than 4 months and as yet no bill...

I wasn't billed for the first 3 months either, here in samui. I've had

the 1024 package for around 5 1/2 months and have never had 400 kpbs.

When downloading it averages around 120 kpbs, so somewhere along

the line I am getting ripped off. Is it possible for TOT to allocate more

bandwith to a certain address than another?? Just thinking that the thai

companies here may get preferential treatment rather than a farang

doing abit of web surfing at his home??

Noodles

TOT has ground to a crawl for me too over the last month. I have the same problem with web pages not loading, downloads crawling. I notice upload speeds are fine. I had a couple of days where speeds were ok then it slowed down again...

i was able to speed up my crummy dsl service a little by disabling dns and dhcp in the modem settings.

then i told windows that i had another dns server in the tcp ip settings.

i chose another dns server outside my isp since the isp's dns servers were swamped.

I am outside Thailand these days so cannot comment on the TOT side,

but I can say that Zone Alarm Pro does not hinder my broadband connections

overseas.

It sound like TOT is pushing the limits with the number of users.