Eight People Killed In Grisly Bangkok Tollway Accident

webfact

Eight killed in grisly tollway accident

By THE NATION

Eight people were killed last night when their passenger van was involved in a crash with a sedan on a tollway section of the Vibhavadi Rangsit highway

Seven other passengers trapped inside the van - Number Tor 11827 with 13-795 BKK licence plate - were wounded and admitted to the nearby Vibhavadi hospital.

Some of the bodies of the victims, who were flung out of the van by the impact of the crash, were seen hanging from a pedestrian flyover, while bodies were recovered from a canal adjacent to the nearby Kasetsart University.

Initial police reports said the sedan, a white Honda Civic with Dor Chada Wor Wan 8761 BKK licence plate, rammed the back of the van, sending it crashing into a streetlight pole on the inbound elevated tollway. The eight victims were flung out from a five-metre height.

The accident prompted police to close traffic on frontage roads, which subsequently led to heavy traffic congestion. The dead included five male adults and three female adults. The identities of those killed and injured were not available at press time.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-12-28

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another news channel is reporting that the Mini Van driver was at fault, apparently he and the other driver (Honda), were having a go at each other using their vehicles. He apparently tried to cut up the Honda driver but caught the front end of the other car.

Edited by beano2274

For anyone that has taken one of those mini-vans this scenario can be all too real. The other day I had to have myself and all the other passengers converse with the driver just to keep him awake. This was when it was just getting dark and I was seeing the driver's eyes starting to close. Obviously it worked out ok.

Rest in Peace passengers. Very sad.

here are some pictures of the accident, only look if you are not easily upset, especially at the poor guy hanging from the bridge

http://newsreport.truelife.com/blog2/entry/24679

judging by how those van drivers act on a daily basis the assumption that he has some blame for the accident would not surprise me, every day when I drive to work, and on my return journey, I run the gauntlet of these morons.

For anyone that has taken one of those mini-vans this scenario can be all too real. The other day I had to have myself and all the other passengers converse with the driver just to keep him awake. This was when it was just getting dark and I was seeing the driver's eyes starting to close. Obviously it worked out ok.

.....oh' yes... if ever I can avoid using their services I will... Visa-Runs... :blink:

Irresponsible ego-maniac-caffeine-taurin freaks, who think they can do "it all"... if only a very small thing goes wrong.... well, end of the story!

I am refusing to use these death traps when at all possible. An accident/incedent in one is like being a a sardine in a can being smashed with a sledge hammer.

If you feel the same, beware! You will be told outright lies by ticket sellers and touts. In Had Yai, I bought a ticket for a rot tour (big bus) to Penang. After 2 hours, a mini-bus arrives, and ticket is non-refundable (of course). Spent hours cramped in the back seat, smelling stale farts, and watching vehicles braking hard as the idiot driver changed lanes.

In Penang I was told only mini-bus back to border. At Butterworth bus station, the same. Found a booth (next to the info counter, inland cluster) selling big bus tickets to Pedang Bazaar for MR16 - 2/day and very nice thank you.

I totally agree with the moron theory, very sad for the passengers but based on the theory that if you gave millions monkeys typewriters and enough time you'll have the works of Shakespere, if you gave millions of monkeys vehicles in a relatively short amount of time they'll start driving like this and killing one another.

A truly grim story.

R.I.P.

here are some pictures of the accident, only look if you are not easily upset, especially at the poor guy hanging from the bridge

http://newsreport.tr...og2/entry/24679

judging by how those van drivers act on a daily basis the assumption that he has some blame for the accident would not surprise me, every day when I drive to work, and on my return journey, I run the gauntlet of these morons.

.....oh' yes... if ever I can avoid using their services I will... Visa-Runs... :blink:

Irresponsible ego-maniac-caffeine-taurin freaks, who think they can do "it all"... if only a very small thing goes wrong.... well, end of the story!

Most of the drivers are taking more serious stimulants than caffeine.

Rest in peace. Horrific accident also in Korat Saturday. Sympathy to the families. In God we trust.

Yes of course, "Sympathy to the families" and to the survivors for the lifelong burden of horror they must endure.

"In God we trust" .. this is about burry your head in the sand, and relieve yourself of responsibility.

With great trepedation I have used those vans between Nakhon Sawan and Bkk. I am horrified by the speeds they fly at, and knew that I would see an accicident soon. An so it has come to pass.

SPEED KILLS !!!

When will the $hit-for-brains 'authorities' do something about it, and the shit-for-brains drivers take heed?

When I am asked how far North of Bkk my village is, I say "Approx 3 hours drive" .. or ... " 2 hours 'pod racing' in the vans". So what price do we pay for saving that hour? Today's news is the answer. But for as long as there is vested interest in speeding, with only the risk of death when something goes horribly wrong, the hazzard will remain. You need to hit Thais where it hurts most in this land of superficial Buddhism, > the wallet. And for the foreigner who speeds > the wallet and the Visa, with expulsion for serious offences and repeated minor offenses. And I mean expulsion with no chance of return.

"In God we trust"? .. no thanks. I'd rather see something real, like tightly controlled speed limits.

I am refusing to use these death traps when at all possible............

I refuse to use them, full stop.

For most of us on TV, we are farangs / expats, and using these is generally not essential travel, so my opinion is that if you cannot afford to hire a car, or take a train / plane to where you are going, then simply do not go unless you think your life is worth it! Driving yourself still incurs risk, but YOU are in control - if you spot a lunatic driver in front, behind, or otherwise, YOU can try to take evasive action instead of being at the mercy of stubborness / arrogance / pride.

RIP to these people. Poor sods. For many of them, these vans are the only practical choice.

Well judging by the photos "a good day out was had by all" and the accident ( hardly an accident for sure) made a dull day for the spectators much more exciting, of course all of them left thinking they must drive more responsibly.

Im sorry Thai drivers in the majority are IDIOTS and YES I am generalising and YES about Thais.

Rest in peace. Horrific accident also in Korat Saturday. Sympathy to the families. In God we trust.

Yes of course, "Sympathy to the families" and to the survivors for the lifelong burden of horror they must endure.

"In God we trust" .. this is about burry your head in the sand, and relieve yourself of responsibility.

With great trepedation I have used those vans between Nakhon Sawan and Bkk. I am horrified by the speeds they fly at, and knew that I would see an accicident soon. An so it has come to pass.

SPEED KILLS !!!

When will the $hit-for-brains 'authorities' do something about it, and the shit-for-brains drivers take heed?

When I am asked how far North of Bkk my village is, I say "Approx 3 hours drive" .. or ... " 2 hours 'pod racing' in the vans". So what price do we pay for saving that hour? Today's news is the answer. But for as long as there is vested interest in speeding, with only the risk of death when something goes horribly wrong, the hazzard will remain. You need to hit Thais where it hurts most in this land of superficial Buddhism, > the wallet. And for the foreigner who speeds > the wallet and the Visa, with expulsion for serious offences and repeated minor offenses. And I mean expulsion with no chance of return.

"In God we trust"? .. no thanks. I'd rather see something real, like tightly controlled speed limits.

NO speed doesnt kill we are all travelling at about 19 miles a second right now . Innapropriate speed does kill.

Keeping a safe distance , planning, indicating and observing road conditions etc etc

Rest in peace yes........In God we trust...........no way! Life is up to each and every one of us! Nobody else!

Rest in peace and all Commiserations to the families from the real world

SPEED KILLS !!!

Don't agree, it isn't speed that kills.

As for telling the Thai's how to run their affairs, let us not forget that it is us (the ex-pats) that elected to embrace their way of life.

Are the roads dangerous, for sure and I hate to see meaningless loss of life, it is down to everyone to take care...Merry Christmas

Im sorry Thai drivers in the majority are IDIOTS and YES I am generalising and YES about Thais.

The problem is one of enforcement and education, not of driving and mental capacity. In any country they will drive like this if laws aren't strictly enforced and even then serious accidents still occur.

The cops in Thailand spend too much time scamming for money and aren't concerned about the carnage.

Edited by tropo

ACCIDENTS AT SPEED KILL, Germany has relatively low accident rates on Autobahn's, unfortunately right across Asia people drive their vehicles like kids who have just passed their test, showing off and having something to prove.

The problem is with people thinking driving fast, showing off or dangerously is cool.

SPEED KILLS !!!

Although it's hard to generalize, I try not to take vans either. I've seen too many of them do crazy things, both on the highway and in the city. I think it 's the same mentality that the Thai motorbike riders use... Buddha is looking after me so I can through caution to the wind and do anything I want.

In the past week here in Chiang Mai I've seen the silver vans go racing through red lights LONG after they had a chance to stop. It happened again last night and I would have been hit had I not slowed down at the intersection. There is one lighted intersection where it's happened several times with me. I always approach that place with caution and check both ways before proceeding... even when I have the green light.

However, in the terrible accident in Bangkok last night none of us here can truly say who was to blame until the official report comes out with eye witnesses. The smaller car hit the van from the rear. Of course, the van MIGHT have suddenly veared into the following vehicle's lane. The vans have done that to me so many times I can't remember them all. I ride like I EXPECT the vans to vear into my lane and it's saved me another accident on several occasions. Having to put my motorbike down to get away from a van cutting in front of me taught me that lesson. Fortunately, it was at slow speed.

I'll take the bus thank you..

unfortunately right across Asia people drive their vehicles like kids who have just passed their test, showing off and having something to prove.

...and kids in non-Asian countries don't drive crazy? Kids in all countries drive like maniacs. It's hard work to keep them under control anywhere they drive.

Comments on moderation policy have been removed from view.

21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy

My heart aches for all who have to suffer in this accident and thousands of accidents like this every year.

Once I took a night bus Chiang-Mai to BKK, my wife got us what she thought to bethe best seats: front row upper deck. I did not sleep a wink, it was horrifying I was in fear for the life of my family. I had a clear view of all the hazards, and my life as it flashed before my eyes.

All I can say is that I loath all drivers of all public vehicles. They think that they have a right to put anyone and everyone in mortal danger. I once asked a kamakazi taxi driver to slow down and offered to pay a big tip to get me home in leisurely comfort. His reply: "I am a professional, you better get out." This reflects the mentality of these drivers. Needless to say I was all to happy to get out. I commented to my wife: "Yes he is a professional... a professional a$$hole."

I loath the police who bargain kick backs from the bus companies at the price of the lives of thier fellow countrymen. I am fortunate, I can afford a car. Not all people have that luxury, and thier lives are autioned off like livestock to a slaugherhouse. Even in my car, I have to battle out with public vehicles and private vans that drive recklessly and put people at risk. I'd estimate that almost 50% of accidents I see on the highway (including minor ones) involve some type of public/private transport.

Thailand STOP the MURDER of your PEOPLE

I am refusing to use these death traps when at all possible. An accident/incedent in one is like being a a sardine in a can being smashed with a sledge hammer.

If you feel the same, beware! You will be told outright lies by ticket sellers and touts. In Had Yai, I bought a ticket for a rot tour (big bus) to Penang. After 2 hours, a mini-bus arrives, and ticket is non-refundable (of course). Spent hours cramped in the back seat, smelling stale farts, and watching vehicles braking hard as the idiot driver changed lanes.

In Penang I was told only mini-bus back to border. At Butterworth bus station, the same. Found a booth (next to the info counter, inland cluster) selling big bus tickets to Pedang Bazaar for MR16 - 2/day and very nice thank you.

Hey ! Beware yes, I agree 100%, but don't kid yourself about the 'big bus' being any better. The night that scared me most was Bkk to Chong Khae (in Nakhon Sawan province), in a van doing 140 Km/hr, we were shoulder to shoulder josstling with no fewer than 4 double-decker buses and a couple of other vans doing the same speed. In fact whilst at 140 km/pr one big bus actually passed us. It was horrifying! I asked another passenger if she was troubled by the speed. "No .. I listen to music and get home quicker." .... My thoughts in response: "Meet you maker quicker, you idiot."

We came so close to actually touching a 'big bus' and were forced within inches of the concrete barrier. I dared not distract the driver by telling him slow down.

I don't use them for the Bkk route any more. Finished, until there are policed speed controls the whole way, and spot checks for drug testing drivers. .. with immediate arrests for offenders. Imprison the driver and fine the bus/van company. The stranded passengers might even get pissed off, but they will have time to contemplate their options, and perhaps why they are stranded, even be glad they are alive to call for assistance.

Well judging by the photos "a good day out was had by all" and the accident ( hardly an accident for sure) made a dull day for the spectators much more exciting, of course all of them left thinking they must drive more responsibly.

There are accidents everywhere in the world, here in the USA we have plenty accidents involving white drivers and I wouldn't say white people are bad drivers. Only the "IDIOTS" think they are better drivers than everybody else.;)