Eight People Killed In Grisly Bangkok Tollway Accident

webfact

Another news channel is reporting that the Mini Van driver was at fault, apparently he and the other driver (Honda), were having a go at each other using their vehicles. He apparently tried to cut up the Honda driver but caught the front end of the other car.

Right, thats what I have learned too in Thai News TV yesterday night. Minibus was rammed and the door opened so the passengers fly out while the driver was engaged in a RACING.

Anyway, sad story but not the first and it will be for sure not the last we will read about here. Reckless and selfish driving and egoism lead to most of the accidents in ASIA, not just in Thailand.

YOU cant take me over, I loose face BULLSHIT

may they rest in peace,

terrible pictures to see for the familys and friends in TV

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sorry Thai drivers in the majority are IDIOTS and YES I am generalising and YES about Thais.

The problem is one of enforcement and education, not of driving and mental capacity. In any country they will drive like this if laws aren't strictly enforced and even then serious accidents still occur.

The cops in Thailand spend too much time scamming for money and aren't concerned about the carnage.

Driving my motorcycle I actually turn and look at the lanes beside me before making a move, I have never seen a Thai do this they rely only on their mirrors.

My impression ( observation mostly) is that you are quite wrong. Most motorcycle drivers in Thailand do not bother to use their mirrors either . How many times have all of us almost hit a motorcycle ( if we are quick), that suddenly veered out in front of us ?

I still remember years ago, my girlfriend at the time, was hit by a car when she cut in front of it. When I visited her in hospital, I asked her why she did not see the car in her mirror. She said, " Not use mirror " .

I berated her a little, and she laughed and said, " I willl use mirror. Left for hair and right for makeup."

Thai drivers have a long way to go, but again education is the key -- together with a mature attitude !

In the past week here in Chiang Mai I've see...

Yeah, I'm in Chiang Mai now but I'm getting out, and it's because of the drivers. Was originally considering staying here because of the condo glut. Now I see why there is a glut.

It's like everybody here has a death wish. And as a pedestrian, you are at their mercy.

It's odd. I know what traffic is like elsewhere in Thailand but up here in the sticks and even in Roi-Et itself it really is quite civilized, if a little slow. Never had any problems.

Why all this "Thai bashing again"? it is just an accident and it can happen anywhere!

I know, by the sounds of it some of the posters here wish they had more clout to actually enforce the over-bearing and insane levels of enforcement we see in Europe. Sometimes I'm glad the Thais restrict foreigners to interfering with the Thai Way :)

Guys, this happens all over the world and is not going to stop by us all arguing on an internet forum.

Thailand is Thailand, leave it as it is.

If it became more like Euroland or a place where there's a camera on every street corner (CCTV nation) would a lot of us actually want to live here when it becomes akin to Big Brother?

Amen Brother

My wife was killed by a drunk driver in 1973 after only 2 years of marriage..

I never found another quite like her.. I will never forget her.. I carry her in my thoughts daily..

May all rest in peace .. and to all the families never forget them..

I'm speechless. Our family occasionally makes these long trips and we hire these van drivers. Granted, there is always one of us (on the Thai side of the family) in front chatting with the driver. The last driver we had was alright. He drove at a moderate speed, but I can't help thinking of what those people must've went through -- what me and my family could possibly be facing if we are unlucky enough to have the wrong driver.

Well, fortunately my sister in law does the planning and chooses wisely... But I'm still going to be bringing up this news with the wife (if she hasn't already seen it).

We have 3 cars btw, but on long trips with lots of people we hire em vans.

RIP to the victims and I hope the survivors can cope with the emotional shit that follows. That can't be too easy.

How much does it cost to hire the vans? Is it by the mile or hour or day?

My wife and some of her co-workers are supposed to go to BKK from Chiang Mai next month on a business/training promo. I asked her how they were going and she told me the company was renting one of the mini vans. I told her she's not going in that. Our car has NGV and I'll take her in that. I told her there was NO discussion on this matter.

Rest in peace. Horrific accident also in Korat Saturday. Sympathy to the families. In God we trust.

Yes of course, "Sympathy to the families" and to the survivors for the lifelong burden of horror they must endure.

"In God we trust" .. this is about burry your head in the sand, and relieve yourself of responsibility.

With great trepedation I have used those vans between Nakhon Sawan and Bkk. I am horrified by the speeds they fly at, and knew that I would see an accicident soon. An so it has come to pass.

SPEED KILLS !!!

When will the $hit-for-brains 'authorities' do something about it, and the shit-for-brains drivers take heed?

When I am asked how far North of Bkk my village is, I say "Approx 3 hours drive" .. or ... " 2 hours 'pod racing' in the vans". So what price do we pay for saving that hour? Today's news is the answer. But for as long as there is vested interest in speeding, with only the risk of death when something goes horribly wrong, the hazzard will remain. You need to hit Thais where it hurts most in this land of superficial Buddhism, > the wallet. And for the foreigner who speeds > the wallet and the Visa, with expulsion for serious offences and repeated minor offenses. And I mean expulsion with no chance of return.

"In God we trust"? .. no thanks. I'd rather see something real, like tightly controlled speed limits.

Don't agree, it isn't speed that kills.

As for telling the Thai's how to run their affairs, let us not forget that it is us (the ex-pats) that elected to embrace their way of life.

Are the roads dangerous, for sure and I hate to see meaningless loss of life, it is down to everyone to take care...Merry Christmas

They need to be told how to run their affairs, and it is our affair too because they need our money and business, residences, visas and tourism. I suspect you are kissing arse.

And if you read all the comments, do you see one that "embraces" this wreckless feature in their way of life? If you "embrace" mad arse speeding, and wreckless driving in your "way of life" .. speak for yourself.

By the way, the slogan "Speed Kills" has been carefully chosen by governments who know what they are doing. It is key to successful road safety campaigns in many places, for example Victoria Australia.

Senario: Hit a tree at 30 km/you may still sustain an injury even if wearing seat belts. Hit it at 60 and you'd be lucky to escape without injury, At 100 km/hr (60 mph) you will be lucky to survive. At 140 km/hr .. you die. Ask an ambulance driver. It is ambulance drivers and police who contribute information to the campaigns. Okay?

So I repeat:

SPEED KILLS !!!

What is it about some people who think because foreigners live in their country they cant criticize that country. The ex pat's who live here travel more than the locals defending their country so know how other countries are, therefore better able to criticize.

And yes we bitch about our home countries to, but the weather is better here, the women more beautiful and food cheaper, doesn't make it perfect though.

Please enlighten us about your wonderful homeland.

Why always defending Thais/Thailand whatever the facts ? Are you maipenrayed too ? emoa.gif

Have a nice day, I go enjoy the rest of the day with a smile and enough of those TV discussions for today (and maybe for the rest of the week too)

God bless you.

Please enlighten us about your wonderful homeland.

Seems like the driver of the white Honda should also share some of the blame. If only she'd slowed down and given way, instead of blasting the horn several times, fighting the van and infuriating the driver even more, things may have been different.

A good driver reads the road, observes the danger and adjusts their own driving accordingly.

I'm speechless. Our family occasionally makes these long trips and we hire these van drivers. Granted, there is always one of us (on the Thai side of the family) in front chatting with the driver. The last driver we had was alright. He drove at a moderate speed, but I can't help thinking of what those people must've went through -- what me and my family could possibly be facing if we are unlucky enough to have the wrong driver.

Well, fortunately my sister in law does the planning and chooses wisely... But I'm still going to be bringing up this news with the wife (if she hasn't already seen it).

We have 3 cars btw, but on long trips with lots of people we hire em vans.

RIP to the victims and I hope the survivors can cope with the emotional shit that follows. That can't be too easy.

How much does it cost to hire the vans? Is it by the mile or hour or day?

Hell, you can buy a brand new 9 seat Toyota HiAce for only a million Baht.... Used ones can be had very cheap. My Vigo is getting up there in mileage and I have another child on the way. I'd never trust the safety of my family to an unknown driver. Thinking of trading in towards a HiAce Van next year. Happy Trails!

here are some pictures of the accident, only look if you are not easily upset, especially at the poor guy hanging from the bridge

http://newsreport.tr...og2/entry/24679

judging by how those van drivers act on a daily basis the assumption that he has some blame for the accident would not surprise me, every day when I drive to work, and on my return journey, I run the gauntlet of these morons.

It seems the blog owner has now pixelated the body hanging from the footbridge

Edited by random

Two things:

Seat belts

Law-enforcement

I use these vans daily, and they are so scary. the drivers don't give give two hoots about the people they are ferrying. quite often they will start cutting each other up at very high speeds. the drivers are supposed to be licensed for the vans but most of the time its a different picture than the actual driver. when they start being maniacs I will tell him to stop and get out and refuse to pay him as he is an idiot putting my life in danger. The Thais, However will just sit there and not say anything, as their face value is worth more thatn their life value.

On the seat belts, about 99% of the vans I have been in have cut out the seat belts. the the lock is still there but the part that wraps around you and locks you in is missing. Try to find it !!! where its supposed to start there is a little bit there and you can see that they have used a knife to cut the rest off. So we don't get a choice to wear a seat belt or not.

Why all this "Thai bashing again"? it is just an accident and it can happen anywhere!

I know, by the sounds of it some of the posters here wish they had more clout to actually enforce the over-bearing and insane levels of enforcement we see in Europe. Sometimes I'm glad the Thais restrict foreigners to interfering with the Thai Way :)

Guys, this happens all over the world and is not going to stop by us all arguing on an internet forum.

Thailand is Thailand, leave it as it is.

If it became more like Euroland or a place where there's a camera on every street corner (CCTV nation) would a lot of us actually want to live here when it becomes akin to Big Brother?

This comment "Thailand is Thailand, leave it as it is." .. does this men that you should never intoduce life saving improvements in countries where there are problems?

I can imagine you standing in front of a crowd of survivors of a tsunami, ... people drinking foul water in Africa or wherever, dieing because there are no doctors, starving because of drought .... Saying "Guys, .. this happens ... ..... leave it as it is." Such complacency sucks. You need your arse kicked. You really need to lose someone in one of these speed-induced smash-ups. Get a life.

Rest in peace. Horrific accident also in Korat Saturday. Sympathy to the families. In God we trust.

Yes of course, "Sympathy to the families" and to the survivors for the lifelong burden of horror they must endure.

"In God we trust" .. this is about burry your head in the sand, and relieve yourself of responsibility.

With great trepedation I have used those vans between Nakhon Sawan and Bkk. I am horrified by the speeds they fly at, and knew that I would see an accicident soon. An so it has come to pass.

SPEED KILLS !!!

When will the $hit-for-brains 'authorities' do something about it, and the shit-for-brains drivers take heed?

When I am asked how far North of Bkk my village is, I say "Approx 3 hours drive" .. or ... " 2 hours 'pod racing' in the vans". So what price do we pay for saving that hour? Today's news is the answer. But for as long as there is vested interest in speeding, with only the risk of death when something goes horribly wrong, the hazzard will remain. You need to hit Thais where it hurts most in this land of superficial Buddhism, > the wallet. And for the foreigner who speeds > the wallet and the Visa, with expulsion for serious offences and repeated minor offenses. And I mean expulsion with no chance of return.

"In God we trust"? .. no thanks. I'd rather see something real, like tightly controlled speed limits.

As for telling the Thai's how to run their affairs, let us not forget that it is us (the ex-pats) that elected to embrace their way of life.

Are the roads dangerous, for sure and I hate to see meaningless loss of life, it is down to everyone to take care...Merry Christmas

They need to be told how to run their affairs, and it is our affair too because they need our money and business, residences, visas and tourism. I suspect you are kissing arse.

And if you read all the comments, do you see one that "embraces" this wreckless feature in their way of life? If you "embrace" mad arse speeding, and wreckless driving in your "way of life" .. speak for yourself.

By the way, the slogan "Speed Kills" has been carefully chosen by governments who know what they are doing. It is key to successful road safety campaigns in many places, for example Victoria Australia.

Senario: Hit a tree at 30 km/you may still sustain an injury even if wearing seat belts. Hit it at 60 and you'd be lucky to escape without injury, At 100 km/hr (60 mph) you will be lucky to survive. At 140 km/hr .. you die. Ask an ambulance driver. It is ambulance drivers and police who contribute information to the campaigns. Okay?

So I repeat:

SPEED KILLS !!!

I beg to disagree. SPEED alone does not kill. The Germans have proven it with the Autobahn.

"SPEED KILLS" is a catchy slogan, but doesn't reflect reality.

I think the posted speed limit on that tollway is 80 but NO ONE goes that slow. 100-120km/hr seems to be the average cruising speed.

Combine speed with reckless or impaired driving and you absolutely have a recipe for disaster.

Sorry to say but I think you're dreaming if you think local law enforcement will change our hosts' driving habits any time soon.

Ride On!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

I take em from Victory all the time and 99% of the time the driver is good.

A few weeks ago however, the van almost hit the curb and a couple of motorbikes.

Two Thai ladies in the front screamed in horror and asked to be let out before their destination.(they beckoned me to come but I felt lucky).

I am going to switch to the slower(as in futher from victory monument) but infinitely safer government bus at Ekamai whenever possible.

SPEED KILLS !!!

So I repeat:

SPEED KILLS !!!

I beg to disagree. SPEED alone does not kill. The Germans have proven it with the Autobahn.

I think the posted speed limit on that tollway is 80 but NO ONE goes that slow. 100-120km/hr seems to be the average cruising speed.

Combine speed with reckless or impaired driving and you absolutely have a recipe for disaster.

Sorry to say but I think you're dreaming if you think local law enforcement will change our hosts' driving habits any time soon.

Ride On!

Tony

Speed may not kill in Germany, but they have well maintained highly advanced vehicles, well maintained roads that are designed for it and dare I say sensibility and responsibility?

Speed definitely kills here. It's not a country to drive fast in.

here are some pictures of the accident, only look if you are not easily upset, especially at the poor guy hanging from the bridge

judging by how those van drivers act on a daily basis the assumption that he has some blame for the accident would not surprise me, every day when I drive to work, and on my return journey, I run the gauntlet of these morons.

GOOD!

First of all my sympathy goes to the families of course ... but do you feel surprise at all ? I drive on the toll way everyday , and everyday I can see those vans driving up to 140/150km/hour, the first danger comes from drivers . I have seen in17 years in Thailand too many accidents involving vans because of speeding, I think its time (for years now) for government to act. Banning alcohol wont help .... but a some behavior for stupid drivers would be better :angry:

Speed may not kill in Germany, but they have well maintained highly advanced vehicles, well maintained roads that are designed for it and dare I say sensibility and responsibility?

I think that thanks to the absence of any real traffic law enforcement Thailand is a fantastic country for people who like to go fast.

Speed didn't cause this terrible accident, reckless driving did.

Condolences again to the victims of this tragedy. :jap:

GOOD!

Good and bad depending on what you want the picture for, good in respect of the family, but it loses its shock value to hopefully deter others. But i do see your point, a lot of the time here it appears these pictures are taken for titillation or news, as opposed to as a deterrent.

I think that thanks to the absence of any real traffic law enforcement Thailand is a fantastic country for people who like to go fast.

Absence of any real traffic law enforcement? Oh come on Valentino, how many times has the white gloved hand been raised at you? Okay the fines are pathetic, so I'll take your point there, but nearly every time I get nagged to do 120 kph instead of 80 kph, there it is . . . the white glove goes up, white glove comes through the window and then retracts holding two red pieces of paper.

Reckless would include speed as an element though, no? I mean, if they were banging into each other at 50 kph would it have been so bad?

Edited by MJP

"18 year old woman"... why hasn't anybody picked up on that fact yet? It seems that both drivers survived and none fled the scene. Why not wait for the police enquiry results before jumping to conclusions?

"In God we trust"... makes sense perfectly only because that's what's written on the dollar notes, and money is what keeps dangerous drivers on the road here. Much more than possible in the west.

"SPEEDing" kills. Otherwise planes would be more dangerous than cars. You're safer at 1000 km/h in the air than at any speed on the road, including not moving at all.

"We're all travelling at 19 m/s"... interesting but irrelevant because you're not safer speeding west than you are speeding east. What kills is relative speed which is why in car racing a stalled vehicle is a greater threat than the others moving at 200 km/h with you.

Just a thought... two people sitting in an unsafe vehicle, one terrified the other not bothered at all. Both stay for the entire trip. Which one is smarter? tip: not the one who wrote on thai VISA. Sorry for being a smart ass today but it fit so well with the rest of the posts.

Just yesterday I read an article about what the government and Abhisit has achived during the past two years. Made me laugh when I read about the PLANNING of a highspeed train from North to south or freedom in SouthThailand.

As long as the government doesnt finally start to EDUCATE its people, NOTHING IS ACHIVED in LoS. But why should they? Ask yourself, we had same problems 500 years ago in Europe just without cars, stupid citizens dont ask questions!

Have you ever see where a ThaiDriver is looking at while driving? I mean if he is not just making a telephone call or watching on his LCD TV and the last soap? Foresighted or forward looking driving is totally unknown here. They see everything whats happen 10 meters in front but never a single meter more. I hated it many times when we see a car on the right lane (THAIS never drive left) showing a blinker for turning right in a 200 meter distance and the traffic comes to a hold, even when they had enough time to change lanes....but right...that needs forsight.

I just hate the traffic here and the worst thing is, most farangs are driving not just a little bit better anymore. I hate a nanny government but if it is the only way to make these idiots learn CHARGE THEM MONEY instead of building more and more traffic lights where nobody stops anyway.

Normally the BIB is so clever when it comes to making easy money but it seems here the sleep totally

I take it no-one was wearing a seat belt.trying to suggest that one or other of the drivers is to blame is a simplistic attitude and a pretty pointless exercise - anyone who has any driving experience at all will no that most "incidents" are the result of shared blame

Did you see the pictures? I don't think seatbelts would have made much difference... :(

Nonsense.

Absence of any real traffic law enforcement? Oh come on Valentino, how many times has the white gloved hand been raised at you? Okay the fines are pathetic, so I'll take your point there, but nearly every time I get nagged to do 120 kph instead of 80 kph, there it is . . . the white glove goes up, white glove comes through the window and then retracts holding two red pieces of paper.

Reckless would include speed as an element though, no? I mean, if they were banging into each other at 50 kph would it have been so bad?

Exactly, Thai traffic cops care only about putting money in their pockets, not about enforcing traffic law and making the roads a safer place, so like I said, as long as there continues to be no real traffic law enforcement why should we expect anyone to drive differently than they do now?

Your comment about 50km/hr is irrelevant because the posted speed limit on most major highways is 120km/hr and on the elevated tollway where this accident took place the posted speed limit is 80km/hr.