Ipad Drops Web Pages On Unsleep

sleepyjohn

Here's my first big iPad issue.....

Suppose I have some pages open in Safari which I might like to read later when I'm outside access to the internet, or simply don't want to increase my 3g bill, or simply don't want to wait for a reload.

The default seems to be that when I go to the 9 "thumbnail" pages on unsleeping it the thumbnail has the full page in miniature. But on choosing a page it fills the screen then tries to reload. On failing to reload it leaves me with a blank white screen informing me I'm not connected to the net.

Well this is a pretty useless waste of time. Can anyone tell me how to get round it?

Thanx a lot

The miniatures are just little preview images, not the real web page.

To read later you might want to try opening a new page for each one you want to read later, make sure they're all loaded, then sleeping the iPad. IOS 4 will probably work better than IOS 3 for that. You know you can have multiple pages open in Safari right?

The miniatures are just little preview images, not the real web page.

To read later you might want to try opening a new page for each one you want to read later, make sure they're all loaded, then sleeping the iPad. IOS 4 will probably work better than IOS 3 for that. You know you can have multiple pages open in Safari right?

Hi Nikster

it doesn't seem to matter if they're fully loaded or not......they get lost on re-load.

I've also asked on Macrumours and from a friend yesterday and the best I can come up with is either save with Goodreader or OfflinePages or to try another browser.....Atomic and The Perfect Browser were mentioned and I shall try them.

It was suggested Safari is doing this to save memory, but it seems a high price to pay for the inconvenience. On my Macbook I regularly keep dozens of tabs open and flick between them over the next days to read or re-read or consult. One would think an inactive page would use not much of the memory resources.

Another BIG problem is if I get my stockmarket tradestation up via Browser (there doesn't seem to be a standalone version for iPad and portable trade-ability is half the reason for getting the iPad) I have to go through several security steps to load it up and make my moves. With the iPad Safari on unsleep it reverts to the first step.....out comes the number generator again. Impossible.

(Don't know about IOS4 or 3, I presume I have the latest system in the iPad as I only bought it in CM last week. While we're at it, where's the equivalent of "About this Mac" on OSX to find out what is in there?

Thanx for the help

John

Edited by sleepyjohn

I see - don't have it on me but I do remember Safari likes to reload pages all the time. I think it will keep them for a little while when you turn off the screen, but not for very long.

Looks like alternative browsers or ones specifically made for offline reading are your best bet then.

Your broker doesn't make an iPad / iPhone app? Lame... the restrictions on the website are likely intentional. Again another browser may keep the session longer?! Only one way to find out...

Settings -> General -> About to see the OS version though I am sure you have iOS 4 if you just bought it.

I just checked this out - it seems to me as soon as you load more than 2 or 3 pages, Safari starts dumping older pages. I imagine it wants to keep in memory only the 1 or 2 most recent ones.

So, as you said, it really doesn't work for offline reading.

I just checked this out - it seems to me as soon as you load more than 2 or 3 pages, Safari starts dumping older pages. I imagine it wants to keep in memory only the 1 or 2 most recent ones.

I've now loaded The Perfect Browser and it even holds my traderstation. Good news.

One last thing.....

What's the best way to transfer my iTunes files and text docs from MacBook to iPad?

thanx!

I've now loaded The Perfect Browser and it even holds my traderstation. Good news.

One last thing.....

What's the best way to transfer my iTunes files and text docs from MacBook to iPad?

thanx!

Good to know about The Perfect Browser! :)

iTunes files? Transfer them via iTunes - e.g. go to the options and check sync music, or sync only selected playlists / artists / genres (my preferred setting) or set it to manual and add music, video, etc via drag and drop.

For text reading, it depends which app on the iPad you are going to use to read... I don't do it so don't know any except Apple's own Pages / iWork.

Anyway, once you have the app, if you select apps in the iTunes iPad screen, you get a list of synced documents for this app. I do this with VLC - once you install VLC, you can add video files to VLC's data in iTunes. I imagine text documents work the same. It's a little weird but it can be done. Certainly should be easier though.

One last thing.....

thanx!

The Goodreader app supports the display of multiple document formats on the iPad (e.g. pdf, rtf, txt). Plug your iPad into your Macbook and then go to the apps tab for your iPad in iTunes. You can then add and delete documents from the iPad. Items are added without going through the full sync process.