Lifan Custom V250

PaulD

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the thread on the Lifan 200 it was mentioned that the shift pattern was different than normal. Is the pattern on the 250 1 down and 4 up with neutral between 1st and 2nd like a typical motorbike?

Yes. All controls of the V250 are conventional. Mine work nicely too, including gear box and clutch; horn's pretty loud and the turn signal beeps.

I've reported twice that the fuel knob, though easily read, is up for reserve, down for on, and forward for off. I find it odd, but that may be because I have not had many of them with reserve. Above I explain instruments, such as they are. If there is a helmet lock, as mentioned in the U.S. owner's manual as I recall, I can't find it.

Edited by PaulD

Do you have a photo of what instruments there are on the the bike and where they are?

On my Phantom I have only a speedo on the tank plus Hi/Lo beam,indicator lamp and low fuel lamp but no fuel gauge.~ Billd

Photo shows the Lifan 250's instrument panel. Sorry for delay.

Speedometer - accurate at 60 to 100, confirmed twice by gps

Odometer – digital

Trip meter – digital

Lights – round buttons right and left turn indicators, neutral, and bright lights – easy to read in all lighting conditions.

As mentioned above, there is a reserve fuel switch on the side left side, ON (down), RESERVE (up), and OFF (forward). Normally with a new bike, I carry a little fuel and run it to reserve and out, but I have not done this yet.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

But I did measure fuel use after 300 kms. From last measurement of 36, I was down to 34km/l in city driving instead of country/suburban. Remember, this is 95gasahol or 91 benzine. Someone might explain this to me as the bike's compression ration is 10:1 - If it takes 95 gasahol, why not 91?

Went for 1,000 kms at dealer – oil change. They did it back in the shop but they volunteered that they'd check “everything.” I will not know if they stopped the small emissions from the top pipe joint or not until tomorrow's check-out ride. Meanwhile, after a month, I still have no plates or green book – dealer claims it's hung up at land transportation and if I'm troubled by police, ask the police to call them (I'll pay for the call!). In fairness, their original receipt says 45 days and is highlighted. Moreover, there is stapled to it the company card with phone number.

Should also mention perhaps that this dealer had not yet received any new bikes. I never got to see the re-painted green one. I've only seen Henry Ford black in town so far.

None of which detracts from my general impression of a bike ready to go. Some business details keep me from the mountains for the moment. Meanwhile, I hope to learn from others their experiences with this?

Best to all,

Thanks for the photo Paul

I was wandering around the internet and found these 2 links which may be of interest.

Lifan website

LifanForum.com - Index

Workshop manual on line

http://www.gofastvideo.com/video/440/Yamaha-XV250-Shop-Manual

I am thinking of going over to this place tomorrow to see if they have any Lifans.

15 Thongchai Service Woralaksaburi Kamphaeng Phet 081-5344-860 055-725-085.

• 10 months later...

Lifan 250 Cruiser Report

I've been late in wringing out my Lifan because of rains, a lengthy trip out of the country, and the fact that it is less suited to city driving (in my view). It is cumbersome and does not shine at low speeds. It is by and large the last type of two wheeler that I'd ride in severe twisties – that is, I'd not ride any low powered cruiser style – let alone ride such a bike off-road.

On the other hand, I love it. I've just returned from a modest trip to the north of CM of nearly 1,000 kms.

>I intentionally rode a good way over roads involving different conditions:

*I chose to find roads that were demanding (the more northern road between Chiang Rai and Mae Salong (#1234), or from Phroa eastward to highway #118 (#1150), and then later the most eastern routes descending from Chiang Khong to Chiang Kham.

*These I could compare with others that were beautifully suited to cruiser riding (the southerly route from Mae Salong northeastward toward Chaing Saen - and particularly the marvelous stretch westward from Phayao (#120).

*Also did some highway riding on #118 and #1, divided highways with fairly light weekday traffic at the time.

The bike continued to operate smoothly and reliably. I define as demanding roads those that have turns so severe that any line you take is a guess; this makes for work with this model, and frankly a 125cc four-speed does as well or better until it comes to going uphill. It took a while for me to develop trust in the tires too, but they are big and fat, and in any case I didn't try very hard to challenge them. I should mention, however, that ambition makes it too easy to drag the kickstand.

Torque, as I've mentioned, starts to be serious (in its lesser way) at mid range. You find yourself winding up fairly high in rpm's before shifting upward when going uphill. Without a rpm indicator, I depended on sounds. Anyway, there were no hiccups or backfires, ever, just smoothness and predictability. I repeat that the clutch and gearbox are delights throughout.

In fact, smoothness is how I'd characterize the ride on all roads, even gravel. The suspension is soft, especially in front, and the bike traverses bumps and lesser potholes with aplomb.

Which, however, brings up the subject of a big pothole. I was studying the magnificent hills and forests(!) east of Phroa when my 18" front tire, left to itself, encountered a huge deep hole. I was surprised and shocked when it turned out that the front springs not only go downward (as when braking) but upward, as observed in any springbok. I've not been to South Africa as yet, but recalled, as I flew upward from the saddle, a horse named Strawberry, who accomplished the same thing. Or perhaps it was the rear suspension; anyway, while handlebars are more helpful than reins, whomp.

But ride out on the better engineered and maintained curvy roads or even the highways and you are perfectly at home. Sometimes, going straight on a downhill, I'd check the balance of the bike hands-off, arms as wings balancing me precisely, a nice test on the straight road. If you can see into a turn well enough to know that the line you take will continue a good way, turns are happy (hands on by now, of course) and adding in power, such as it is, a lot of fun. On the flat, a reliable 110 kph is available and 120 after a while, true gps speeds. These numbers allowed me to mix with much of the divided highway traffic without needing to pass or be passed (except for Fortuners, the odd Hilux, and those tour buses driven by idiots beyond description). I can go 400kms between fill-ups, or could, if I could.

I got 34.8 kms/liter total for the entire trip, and I've checked the odometer against posts over long distances. So, so far, I like everything about the LF 250 that relates to what it is designed to be. But if you have friends who have sports bikes or even a Spark 135, you're not going to be able to keep up in country with sharp curves, or if they've horsepower on tap, going uphill. In my case, since I'd like to enjoy where I am more than how well I'm handling a self-imposed challenge of going fast, I'm very happy, so far. Oh, I do have moisture showing up on the inside of the speedometer glass, the only glitch. Next oil change I'll inquire.

post-120309-0-43276800-1322781395_thumb.

Edited by PaulD

• 1 month later...

Lifan 250 Cruiser Report

I've been late in wringing out my Lifan because of rains, a lengthy trip out of the country, and the fact that it is less suited to city driving (in my view). It is cumbersome and does not shine at low speeds. It is by and large the last type of two wheeler that I'd ride in severe twisties – that is, I'd not ride any low powered cruiser style – let alone ride such a bike off-road.

On the other hand, I love it. I've just returned from a modest trip to the north of CM of nearly 1,000 kms.

>I intentionally rode a good way over roads involving different conditions:

*I chose to find roads that were demanding (the more northern road between Chiang Rai and Mae Salong (#1234), or from Phroa eastward to highway #118 (#1150), and then later the most eastern routes descending from Chiang Khong to Chiang Kham.

*These I could compare with others that were beautifully suited to cruiser riding (the southerly route from Mae Salong northeastward toward Chaing Saen - and particularly the marvelous stretch westward from Phayao (#120).

*Also did some highway riding on #118 and #1, divided highways with fairly light weekday traffic at the time.

The bike continued to operate smoothly and reliably. I define as demanding roads those that have turns so severe that any line you take is a guess; this makes for work with this model, and frankly a 125cc four-speed does as well or better until it comes to going uphill. It took a while for me to develop trust in the tires too, but they are big and fat, and in any case I didn't try very hard to challenge them. I should mention, however, that ambition makes it too easy to drag the kickstand.

Torque, as I've mentioned, starts to be serious (in its lesser way) at mid range. You find yourself winding up fairly high in rpm's before shifting upward when going uphill. Without a rpm indicator, I depended on sounds. Anyway, there were no hiccups or backfires, ever, just smoothness and predictability. I repeat that the clutch and gearbox are delights throughout.

In fact, smoothness is how I'd characterize the ride on all roads, even gravel. The suspension is soft, especially in front, and the bike traverses bumps and lesser potholes with aplomb.

Which, however, brings up the subject of a big pothole. I was studying the magnificent hills and forests(!) east of Phroa when my 18" front tire, left to itself, encountered a huge deep hole. I was surprised and shocked when it turned out that the front springs not only go downward (as when braking) but upward, as observed in any springbok. I've not been to South Africa as yet, but recalled, as I flew upward from the saddle, a horse named Strawberry, who accomplished the same thing. Or perhaps it was the rear suspension; anyway, while handlebars are more helpful than reins, whomp.

But ride out on the better engineered and maintained curvy roads or even the highways and you are perfectly at home. Sometimes, going straight on a downhill, I'd check the balance of the bike hands-off, arms as wings balancing me precisely, a nice test on the straight road. If you can see into a turn well enough to know that the line you take will continue a good way, turns are happy (hands on by now, of course) and adding in power, such as it is, a lot of fun. On the flat, a reliable 110 kph is available and 120 after a while, true gps speeds. These numbers allowed me to mix with much of the divided highway traffic without needing to pass or be passed (except for Fortuners, the odd Hilux, and those tour buses driven by idiots beyond description). I can go 400kms between fill-ups, or could, if I could.

I got 34.8 kms/liter total for the entire trip, and I've checked the odometer against posts over long distances. So, so far, I like everything about the LF 250 that relates to what it is designed to be. But if you have friends who have sports bikes or even a Spark 135, you're not going to be able to keep up in country with sharp curves, or if they've horsepower on tap, going uphill. In my case, since I'd like to enjoy where I am more than how well I'm handling a self-imposed challenge of going fast, I'm very happy, so far. Oh, I do have moisture showing up on the inside of the speedometer glass, the only glitch. Next oil change I'll inquire.

Hi Paul

How is your Lifan now after over a year?

I am still considering buying one though my Phantom is still going strong.

After a year, my Lifan is going along without problems, save a tiny one. However, I've not added a long trip since my last, as I use a scooter for town and a car for other missions. I do get condensation on the (perfectly accurate) speedometer from time to time, and I'm going to raise the issue with the dealer at next oil change.

Others claim to have had worse luck, but mine challenges the Japanese bikes for quality control. It will be years before we discover if these are as reliable as the Yamaha Virago 250's upon which this model was based.

After a year, my Lifan is going along without problems, save a tiny one. However, I've not added a long trip since my last, as I use a scooter for town and a car for other missions. I do get condensation on the (perfectly accurate) speedometer from time to time, and I'm going to raise the issue with the dealer at next oil change.

Others claim to have had worse luck, but mine challenges the Japanese bikes for quality control. It will be years before we discover if these are as reliable as the Yamaha Virago 250's upon which this model was based.

Thank you for the update Paul.

I am going to look at a Lifan 250 tomorrow.

I got my Lifan LF-250B at Hat Yai yesterday. The last time I rode a bike with clutch was some 25 years ago. I could not remember how the gear/clutch operated and I had to ask my brother-in-law to ride it back home for me. I guess everybody at the motorcycle shop was having a good laugh. Then I practiced at home for two days and now I can ride to the nearby town.

I love the bike. But I have a few minor complaints:

1) There is a mysterious tiny hole below the upper exhaust pipe, somewhere at mid length. It seems that there is a purpose for this hole. Unfortunately dusty exhaust fluid keeps dripping out from this hole onto the lower exhaust pipe. I have to wipe it off after every ride. Need some advice about this.

Also, it seems that the upper exhaust pipe is very much cooler than the lower pipe. My brother-in-law said the upper pipe is more for aesthetic reasons although a small percentage of exhaust is released from it. 

2) The keys are really lousy. They are small and thin. In fact I accidentally bent the key when trying to lock the steering. Is it possible to duplicate the key to a thicker one?

3) There are too many plastic parts (as usual for most Lifan bikes) such as the front and rear fenders, the side covers etc. Is it possible to replace those parts to steel in Thailand?

Edited by LawrenceLam

Yes, I too (somewhere above) pointed out the 'upper muffler smoke' problem. Dealer fixed at once.

My keys have suffered no problem with bending.

I have also mentioned here the use of plastics. Personally, I am happy with them, and so I'm sorry that I have no help to offer with regard to metal equivalents. An irresponsible guess would be that they would be v.difficult to find, the dimensions being specific and unusual to the model. They might be available in the States, where I've read that they're still using metal. But of course, import duties....

Yes, I too (somewhere above) pointed out the 'upper muffler smoke' problem. Dealer fixed at once.

Dear Paul,

I browsed the whole topic but could not locate where you mentioned about it. Did your dealer fix the dusty fluid problem caused by the tiny hole? How did they fix it? Please point me to your post? Appreciate.

Lawrence,

Sorry, it seems that my entry about the smoke was elsewhere. But it was evident early on that my lower exhaust pipe was being smoked - almost appeared as oil. I showed it to the dealer at the time of the first oil change and the bike was returned with the problem gone, and it has not reappeared. Seemed to me that they knew something about it as they made no remark. Anyway, your dealer is where I would first go; worked for me.

1. Lifan would have to build the bikes here (80% content, I've read) to avoid big, big duties.

2. A 400 is still going to cost a lot in fees and taxes just for being over 250, I think even if built here.

3. Lifan has just arrived a few months ago. I'd imagine they'd want market studies demonstrating a demand among Thais for a fairly expensive 400.

I think lifan have been in thailand more than a few months. I've think one of my bikes is called liflan (cruser style 125 cc bike), bought in 2009. You could buy the bike at Big C

The 125cc cruiser you bought from BigC in 2009 was not a Lifan. In 2009 the Ryuka Zongshen ZS125-30 was sold by BigC.

Your right! Silly me not remember the name of my bikes:) Do they still sell them at BigC?

yes :)

they cost 38k with free t-shirts and helmets and other junk ,the one in pratunam has them last week and some chinese quads and trikes that look like kids toys

By the way...

I am a website designer cum web application designer. I have a dedicated server in Dallas and so far it is only 10% utilized.

I wonder if I should start a special website for Lifan cruiser discussion. If I can get enough support and if there are Lifan owners out there willing to help supervising the forum, I would like to materialize it.

Laurence,

A. All I can say is that the apperance of my emission was indeed like "dusty water" except that it was dried on the lower pipe. I took it to the dealer, who put a stop to it. I doubt water was in it in my case; rather exhaust smoke. If the substance was different, I know nothing regarding your situation, sorry!

B. Given the length of time that this thread has been around and the small number of contributors, I doubt that your work creating a site for us owners at this time would be worthwhile. If you check the number of contributions of virtually every other bike, you'll see hundreds and thousands. But I believe that such an undertaking is entirely up to you. Frankly, I don't even check this thread unless I happen online when it's toward the top.

Best of luck with your bike, and I hope you have the luck that I have had with mine.

I think that hole in the exhaust is just a condensation drain hole. my friends just got a lifan and his is the same.

question what are the standard tires on the lifan 250. front/back

I agree. Thing is that it makes the lower pipe look, from a distance, as if oil has leaked onto it. Of course, one can just clean the surface below the hole regularly; as it is, I may get rust sometime down the road.

I'll check the tires and report shortly about manufacturer as well as size.

Rubber on Lifan 250 Cruiser is by CnengShen, which is a Taiwanese outfit, with manufacturing facilities here. Tire on front is nylon 2 ply, 3x18.

Rear is marked 130x90x15 nylon 3 plies, and it also has the raised DOT label on it.

I have put these to no stress test, rain or tough cornering. Braking seems suitable on the dry, most of my practices from 110 (true), since it takes a while to wind up to 120 (GPS), the top.

hello Boys

I read some stuff about the Lifan 250 in a different area on this forum.

I bought the Lifan V Twin 250 engine and mounted it on my old Platinum frame.

Lost the old engine to the flood in Bangkok.

Its been a Hen's tooth getting the info but Im almost finished.

Dont go to the Assembly Plant in Amata Rayong.

They get a little nervous.

Go to or call the Bangkok office.

I have the contact Name and number of the Thai guy that handles the parts and etc.

He is easy to work with but doesnt speak English.

So, get your questions translated into Thai by the wife or Khun Noi at the pub first.

any farang questions let me know.

1 more thing on Lifan V twin 250

Unless your in the cold / mountains ,

Disconnect the Crankcase vent line...plug the line...buy a another piece of hose...route that new hose down to the street...unless you wanna be cleaning the carburetor 3-4 times a year maybe more. The crank case vent line is routed to a pre heat metal box made onto the frame under the gas tank and has no filter so you are getting unfiltered crankcase vapors straight into the carburetor. I know its part of the emission controls and doubles as a preheat for the air intake buts its a crappy design and it will give you a ton headaches in the future. The old style crankcase lines like this, in the early years, were first ran to the inlet air filter side. Id rather wash/replace an air filter than deal with a carburetor.

If you are good with Glue and a drill, you can reroute the crankcase line so its in front of the intake air filter and still maintain emission standards.

Rubber on Lifan 250 Cruiser is by CnengShen, which is a Taiwanese outfit, with manufacturing facilities here. Tire on front is nylon 2 ply, 3x18.

Rear is marked 130x90x15 nylon 3 plies, and it also has the raised DOT label on it.

I have put these to no stress test, rain or tough cornering. Braking seems suitable on the dry, most of my practices from 110 (true), since it takes a while to wind up to 120 (GPS), the top.

Thanks.. my mates must be 2nd hand then cos it's got a michelin m45 on the front and a dunlop on the back.. blimey and it's STILL on red plates.

Thanks.. my mates must be 2nd hand then cos it's got a michelin m45 on the front and a dunlop on the back.. blimey and it's STILL on red plates.

some people dump the stock tyres as soon as they buy a new bike because stock rubber is usually low end