Sukhumvit Hotel

neverburi

The Nana.

The first sensible answer, and the only sensible answer.

The Nana (LOL) everything else is but a pale imitation.

Do Nana's cockroaches go out swimming during the day too?

The Nana is run down in the sense that it looks old, but no roaches. It is very clean with a swimming pool, decent free breakfast, English TV, etc. - and lots of company. At 1,500 it is a bargain for the area that it is in.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Try the Citadines Soi 11, their website is cheaper than agoda-Book Direct when a booking site asks for a deposit that is their commision taking it up front.

Citadines this time of year is approx. 2000B

1350B with a pool is the Golden Palace on Soi 1, Free Wifi in the room.

Older Hotel but they are upgrading bit by bit. Wood floors, new bathrooms etc.

1500 or below, with a nice pool this is a close as you get good value. I've heard the Nana is even 1800 now.

Miami Hotel on Soi 13, just off Sukhumvit, has a pool. Looks like they finally put up a website with some pics of the pool. Just sayin'.

http://www.thaimiami.com/en/index.html

It looks fine in the pictures, but has had a bad reputation for many years. Has anyone stayed there recently? :ermm:

You're right, UG. It wouldn't be my first choice either. That's why I added "Just sayin'". Still, it's within the location and price range specified by the OP and has a pool, and people do stay there. Last time we stayed there (years ago) it was looking a bit run down, and the desk staff wasn't exactly the friendliest. The maids and bellhops were fine though. We stayed there because of the price, familiar location, and it was easier to get to the airport at DM than hassle with trying to get there from Saraburi or Ayutthaya.

Stable Lodge on Soi 8 is a bit higher, but still within the requirements of the OP. From friends I've known who have stayed there, it's a good choice and fairly convenient in that area of Sukhumvit.

:D Just dating myself a bit, I used to frequently stay at Mermaid's Rest (with the mansion) on Soi 8, which regretfully no longer exists. The longest stay was for 6 weeks and you could bargain for rates for longer stays. It had a pool, outdoor bar, indoor bar/restaurant, a small garden, and a nightly all-you-can-eat outdoor BBQ, and just a few steps off Sukhumvit Road. This was long before the Skytrain was built there. The entire staff was friendly, helpful, and like family. It closed around 20 years ago, then was used as a beer bar before it was finally demolished. No idea what's there now. I've got loads of great memories of the place. The smallest small room in the mansion at Mermaid's cost me 50 baht/night, and a larger room facing the pool was 150/night. LOL! I was among the very last people to stay there just before it closed. Mermaid's Rest had two places on Soi 8, and I believe Stable Lodge, which is down the soi a bit farther, was part of it. In any case, Stable Lodge became the replacement for Mermaid's and has the all-you-can-eat BBQ, and a pool. Evidently, the BBQ is only held on Sat and Sun. Good times. From what I understand about Stable Lodge, the staff from the old Mermaid's moved over the the newer place, but I don't know if any of them are still working there or not.

Miami Hotel on Soi 13, just off Sukhumvit, has a pool. Looks like they finally put up a website with some pics of the pool. Just sayin'.

http://www.thaimiami.com/en/index.html

It looks fine in the pictures, but has had a bad reputation for many years. Has anyone stayed there recently? :ermm:

You're right, UG. It wouldn't be my first choice either. That's why I added "Just sayin'". Still, it's within the location and price range specified by the OP and has a pool, and people do stay there. Last time we stayed there (years ago) it was looking a bit run down, and the desk staff wasn't exactly the friendliest. The maids and bellhops were fine though. We stayed there because of the price, familiar location, and it was easier to get to the airport at DM than hassle with trying to get there from Saraburi or Ayutthaya.

Stable Lodge on Soi 8 is a bit higher, but still within the requirements of the OP. From friends I've known who have stayed there, it's a good choice and fairly convenient in that area of Sukhumvit.

:D Just dating myself a bit, I used to frequently stay at Mermaid's Rest (with the mansion) on Soi 8, which regretfully no longer exists. The longest stay was for 6 weeks and you could bargain for rates for longer stays. It had a pool, outdoor bar, indoor bar/restaurant, a small garden, and a nightly all-you-can-eat outdoor BBQ, and just a few steps off Sukhumvit Road. This was long before the Skytrain was built there. The entire staff was friendly, helpful, and like family. It closed around 20 years ago, then was used as a beer bar before it was finally demolished. No idea what's there now. I've got loads of great memories of the place. The smallest small room in the mansion at Mermaid's cost me 50 baht/night, and a larger room facing the pool was 150/night. LOL! I was among the very last people to stay there just before it closed. Mermaid's Rest had two places on Soi 8, and I believe Stable Lodge, which is down the soi a bit farther, was part of it. In any case, Stable Lodge became the replacement for Mermaid's and has the all-you-can-eat BBQ, and a pool. Evidently, the BBQ is only held on Sat and Sun. Good times. From what I understand about Stable Lodge, the staff from the old Mermaid's moved over the the newer place, but I don't know if any of them are still working there or not.

Used to spend may a happy evening in the restaurant with lots of the guys who used to use the agency.."Videochoice" which I think like the "Rest"is also now long gone...... :o

From memory I seem to remember that the said restaurant had a the usual big fish tank in the window,nice little bar and they would do Bar-B-Qs by the pool in the cooler seasons.

The rooms were indeed reasonable and I certainly remember booking the front one for one guy who was on his "uppers" but he thought it was great value and eventually ended up teaching for a couple of years ...now retired back over here.

They also had a connection with their sister hotel in patti and would book /arranged you accomodaton and transport from the Mermaid...

A much simpler and quieter and slower Bangkok.

After it went the site became a Beer Bar for a couple of years but never really took off...now of course it just a happy memory of a bygone period. :D

Used to spend may a happy evening in the restaurant with lots of the guys who used to use the agency.."Videochoice" which I think like the "Rest"is also now long gone...... :o

From memory I seem to remember that the said restaurant had a the usual big fish tank in the window,nice little bar and they would do Bar-B-Qs by the pool in the cooler seasons.

The rooms were indeed reasonable and I certainly remember booking the front one for one guy who was on his "uppers" but he thought it was great value and eventually ended up teaching for a couple of years ...now retired back over here.

They also had a connection with their sister hotel in patti and would book /arranged you accomodaton and transport from the Mermaid...

A much simpler and quieter and slower Bangkok.

After it went the site became a Beer Bar for a couple of years but never really took off...now of course it just a happy memory of a bygone period. :D

Right you are Rinrada about Mermaid's sister hotel, Mermaid Beach Resort at Jomtien. They have a diving course for people who want to go scuba diving. Never been there, but I too remember guests and others would take off daily from Mermaid's Rest in BKK. Mermaid's Rest on Suk, Soi 8, is a place I've never forget. It was surprisingly quiet once stepping through the front gates as it was just a stone's throw from Suk Road. Closer to Suk and on the same side as Mermaid, was a barber shop that I always enjoyed going to. Very friendly folks there too. The lady in from of the barber shop sold cold drinks, cigarettes, and snacks. I think her name was Willawan or something like that. The shop was her husband's.

I never go into BKK anymore, except for a few occasions. No real need to since we have a house in Saraburi province. Last time I was in the Sukhumvit Road area and around Witthayu Road, I had no bearings because its so completely different.

Regarding the Miami Hotel, there's a little history attached to it. If memory serves me, I believe it used to be a favorite hangout for GIs on R&R during the Vietnam War.

Stable Lodge down on Soi 8 is pretty decent and also has a pool.

http://www.stablelodge.com/

This is looking like my 'post of the year' so far.

Thanks I'll give it a try....and the smorgasbord....mmmmm!

:)

:wai: You're welcome Smokie. IMO, while nothing will ever quite compare to the old Mermaid's Rest Guesthouse (RIP), I have a hunch, based on what friends have told me, Stable Lodge might be close to the next best thing and likely to provide some great memories. At a guess, I'd say it's probably about half way down (maybe not quite that far) from Suk and on the left side of Soi 8. I'd also hazard a guess that they'd take walk-in bookings, if they aren't filled up, but I'd suggest making advance reservations just in case. If you decide to give it a try, how about posting a personal review of it?

:wai: You're welcome Smokie. IMO, while nothing will ever quite compare to the old Mermaid's Rest Guesthouse (RIP), I have a hunch, based on what friends have told me, Stable Lodge might be close to the next best thing and likely to provide some great memories. At a guess, I'd say it's probably about half way down (maybe not quite that far) from Suk and on the left side of Soi 8. I'd also hazard a guess that they'd take walk-in bookings, if they aren't filled up, but I'd suggest making advance reservations just in case. If you decide to give it a try, how about posting a personal review of it?

Review is a given...although you may have to wait a while....;)

Last time I checked Stable Lodge a couple of months ago, the rooms were 1700, but you might get the price down if staying there for several days...... :whistling:

I've also been there just to enjoy the Danish food, but on the last two occations I found the staff to be not too attentive, and my lack of patience took me to Sunrise :)

Last time I checked Stable Lodge a couple of months ago, the rooms were 1700, but you might get the price down if staying there for several days...... :whistling:

I've also been there just to enjoy the Danish food, but on the last two occations I found the staff to be not too attentive, and my lack of patience took me to Sunrise :)

According to the rates posted on their website, rates are higher from October to April. It also depends on what kind of room you want, Standard, Superior or Deluxe. But then again, I have no need to stay at hotels.

About the inattentive food service staff, same people as when you stayed there a couple of months ago? Just thinking about a possible turnover, which isn't unlikely (TiT), or it could be any number of other reasons.

Where's Sunrise located?

Stable Lodge Rates:

http://www.stablelodge.com/Reservation.html

Little bit further up Suk but as usual gotta mention my old hangout in Soi 19..the Honey :)

Its a bit old fashioned but always found that the AC worked and the small pool is OK as long as the Germans are off on bombing runs.The Coffee shop used to be open until 2-00am with all night bar/food service but those were the days when we went out to the Therme at 3-00am for the last couple of hours on the grog. :o

Handy for ASOK and you can pick up a toothbrush/bits etc at the Tops just along the street.(under the MacD)

Got a couple of guys coming out in Mar-April who would never stay anywhere else ...20 years plus...and belive that its still around 800 bts a throw..including brekki :D

With Sunrise I meant Sunrise Tacos, a little further up Sukhumvit.

I also frequently stay at The Honey in soi 19, and it's ok.

800 will put you in the basement, but as said, the aircon is good and the hot water shower works fine. The small swimming pool is quite nice, and the staff is always friendly.

Not too impressed with the coffee shop, but the German Beer garden next door is good for meals. :D